Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

7.2 RS Track / Maintenance Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts
Default 7.2 RS Track / Maintenance Questions...

Hello all,

First, thanks in advance for your help / thoughts / replies.

Couple of questions that I have as I'm running my 2011 RS a lot at the track (virtually all track and little street time)....

1.) How do you change the read brake pads ? I recently changed the front rotors and pads, but looks like the clip to hold the pads in in the rear is on the inside of the caliper. Do I need to take the caliper off to change the pads ? Note that I switched from PCCBs to steel rotors when I got the car, so have the yellow calipers (if that makes a difference).

2.) I am getting quite a bit of rotation when tracking the car. The rear is just SO loose and stepping out all the time. I'm running Nittos (245 front and 305 rear). Is this normal ? I dont know the setup on the car, but is there anything that others have done to balance the car a bit more ? Set up info would be great if anyone wishes to share... I have done nothing to the car from a suspension perspective so all stock.

3.) There have been a couple times in the past where coming out of a quick sweeping right into a left (turn 10 going into 11 at Mont Tremblant) that when trying to downshift from 4th to 3rd that it seemingly doesnt want to go into gear. Recently, I was at Mosport and coming out of 5b to the kink left a 6 and hard on the gas with lateral load that the car wouldnt shift up into into 4th gear from 3rd. I thought I blew up the transmission as I tried 2 times and wouldnt go. Finally went in and then was OK. Any idea what is going on here or anyone else experience this ? Shifter cables ?

Again, thanks for your input.

Erik
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

1. remove caliper to change. while at it, you should replace caliper bolt with caliper studs
2. chk you alignment. maybe u have rear toe OUT. check shox. maybe they are DONE. check your sway bar and try full soft to se if anything changes.
3. shift SLOWER. most ppl shift too fast. when was last time gear oil changed? does this happen at end of session of any time of session. sometimes when gear oil is hot hot at end of session, shifting suffers. do you have STANDARD shifter and cable or cup shifter/cable? if all these fail to cure it issue, you may need to open the box.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:19 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

-check sway bar settings, perhaps rear too stiff/front soft
-trans mount, semi-solid poly inserts allow great shifting no matter the load/G's
Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

1. +1 for the stud kit. Save your uprights
2. Car definitely needs a proper alignment. My car only rotates when I want it to, except when I don't want it to :-) but that description screams setup to me. Get it aligned then play win sways.
3. Mooty is right slow down. And use good trans oil and change it often. Delvac or recently I'm running motul 75-140. 2 hard days in the heat of Thunderhill and car shifted perfectly. I do have wevo rear mounts, Cantrell front mount, and cup cables. Lol. Supposedly these help the lateral g shifting issue.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

I had similar shifting issues. Stiffer engine mounts and trans mount solved the problem. I then purchased a CAE shifter and was even better. Even though I'm using stock cables with the CAE.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Erik
It's likely your alignment but while you have it on the rack check to see if there's any cording on the inner rear tires.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your responses. This is all very helpful.

I kinda figured that I needed my setup changed. Was done by my race shop when I first got the car end of last year, but I'm now driving the thing entirely differently then my first couple events.

Yes, I have corded 1 set of the Nittos and it was on the inner edge.

I'm going to have dropped back at my shop next week and just wanted a sense for the things that I should have done. I might change my rear pads in advance of that (have a 3 day event this weekend and just changed the front rotors and pads, so wanna change the rears).

Beyond that, sounds like:
- Replace caliper bolts with caliper studs
- check my shocks (cant imagine thats the issue as the car only has 8K miles on it, but then again they are stock and the car is a 2011)
- check my sway bar settings (stiffen the front ?)
- get the car aligned front and rear
- have my gear oil changed
- check my shifter cables
- check my engine mounts

FWIW, I'm absolutely LOVING this car on track. Thats where it belongs.

Thanks again all.

Erik

So -
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik,

Do you have any record of the alignment settings after it was done by your race shop ?
There is quite some knowledge about these things on this forum !

CheeRS,
Tommy
Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommye
Erik,

Do you have any record of the alignment settings after it was done by your race shop ?
There is quite some knowledge about these things on this forum !

CheeRS,
Tommy
I dont have handy but have asked them... I'll share if I get from them and will certainly get whatever they do when I bring.

Quick Reply: 7.2 RS Track / Maintenance Questions...