Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to sell my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:44 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by obdel#1
I agree with everything everyone else has already stated. Here are my additional suggestions.

As someone who bought a 997.1 gt3 from a private seller just 6 days ago, I can tell you that enthusiasts who desire this specific 1st gen 997 gt3 just need to be able to find it. I would suggest listing as many places as possible including here as well as auto trader, eBay, pca website, excellence magazine classifieds, etc so people can find your car. Yes, you may have to put up with some people who don't have a clue or are not serious, but that's just part of the process. I think you need to list a phone number - As a buyer, I was annoyed with not being able to call and reach a seller and discuss the specifics of their car when I wanted too. As a seller, you can sort through people pretty quickly and block their calls if you realize they have no real intention of buying.
I too think your car will sell quickly if priced and advertised well. The seller who I ended up buying from just had his car listed for a couple of weeks. He had one offer from a guy who couldn't get the money together in a timely fashion. He had interest from another party who kept calling but just never pulled the trigger on a PPI. The reason I ended up with his car is that I acted promptly - I scheduled a PPI the next day, I flew down the day after the PPI paid and drove the car home the next day. You too will find a buyer who knows how great these cars are. You will be a better representative and so much more knowledgeable about your car to a potential enthusiast than any broker ever would.

Best of luck with your sale.
Great post! Being decisive won! Maybe this entire thread should be a sticky to educate sellers and potential buyers on how the process should work.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:33 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
I have several months to ponder all this.

thanks again.
my advice is don't wait too long. the GT3 is a seasonal vehicle, maybe that goes for all 911s even. Trying to sell the car in say November to March can be bad as it's not track season nor good driving season in some states.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I've bought 3 cars from Rennlist. I tried to sell 2 and failed. One sold via AutoTrader (porsche), one via CarMax (BMW).
If you want max $ you have to deal with some of the drama that goes with selling yourself.
If you want least hassle, you'll take less $ leverage a consigner. They get paid for that hassle.
Or you could even try dealers in your area to see what they will offer. Original cars are easier for them to unload. I think it would be worth the $ or time for you to put the car 100% original and sell the aftermarket parts separately. I think you'll end up with more $ that way.

Also, some markets are stronger than others, it may be worth shipping car to SoCal and listing with a trusted consigner here.

And there is mooty's approach - Put 3 upside down pictures on rennlist, email a bunch of buddies, and don't respond to any email with questions unless that question is "Where do I wire the $" :-)

As far as test drives, NOPE. I'll drive you, and i'll let a trusted mechanic drive as part of a PPI. Or if you're my buddy, sure... but if you're some unknown, nope. Sorry.

Your car looks nice, i think well represented with good pictures and fair price it will move quickly.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
, would my asking for say $25 first be insulting? .
insulting? maybe

annoying? YES and might be difficult to manage.

just write a thorough advert with the appropriate photos / information and refer the tire kickers to the advertisement.
Time spent up front will save you aggravation.

Deal with specific questions via phone calls.
If someone is not interested in calling, they are not interested in buying.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
And there is mooty's approach - Put 3 upside down pictures on rennlist, email a bunch of buddies, and don't respond to any email with questions unless that question is "Where do I wire the $" :-)

As far as test drives, NOPE. I'll drive you, and i'll let a trusted mechanic drive as part of a PPI. Or if you're my buddy, sure... but if you're some unknown, nope. Sorry.
love the Mooty approach!

lots of good advice here. serious buyers should be easy to spot - they will schedule PPI right away and fly out to see car if PPI is good. you have a good reputation here and many people know the story of your car, so you have a leg up in the "buy the seller" area.

when i bought my GT3 off a RL member it was a few emails. some internet searching to get more info on car and owner. 2 somewhat lengthy phone calls. he had a PPI done so i reviewed that. flew out to Florida on a red eye. checked out the car. sat in it, crawled around it, looked under it, etc. he then drove me around in it (went through all the gears, accelerated and braked hard, took some turns, etc). all seemed good and got a cashiers check. handed it over and he let me drive the car back from the bank. i flew home that afternoon and he dealt with Intercity when they showed up to get the car.

there was some haggling ahead of time and the day i was there, but all very straight forward. hoping for something like that if i ever decide to sell mine.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

My experiences are similar. I have to see and touch, can't buy sight unseen.
PM seller, pickup phone, go see car, schedule PPI (or not), discuss pricing, get report, negotiate final price (or not), wire or cashiers check. Drive 'er home.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate all the above views and opinions on finding the best way to sell our GT3. I will be back in SC from the Nebraska Sandhill's Challenge by mid August, and between now and then will work up some way to have pertinent information about our car in some easy to review place. By the way, if any West Coast folks considering a GT3 want to work something out to pick up the car in Denver when we are done with the Challenge, let me know before the 25th of August, because that is the day I head on out west, and could bring the car's records with me.

Stay safe, and enjoy the summer.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, I sold a car identical to yours. I got so fed up with the callers who just wanted to talk, or get me to drop the price, or tell me about their cars (the majority) that I gave the car to a broker whom I knew and trusted, and let him do the talking. Not only did he do better than I could have, no buyer could later claim that I made some untrue representation about the car. The commission I paid was well worth it.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

It's pretty easy to tell who is a tire kicker and who is a serious buyer with funds. I would not talk to you any further if you asked for $25 first before talking to me about a used 8 year old car so please do not go that route. Just feel out the potential buyer by talking to them for a few minutes and don't allow any test drives without a deposit and proof of funds or financing in hand.

Now, let's talk about parting out that sweet wing....just kidding!

Best of luck!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have sold so many cars - mostly exotics and enthusiast cars. Ebay always brought me buyers - it has a huge reach and many people dream shop on there. My Saab Viggen sold in 1 day on Ebay just a few months ago and its free to list. Rennlist I would certainly list on and you can tell the serious folks. No need for $25...The serious buyers come on hard and fast. I also used craigslist many times with success. Its more random, but people are generally searching for something specific and may find you - easy enough to post and again free.

Autotrader is tough as so many dealers are on there and I am not sure of the success of private sellers.

Best of luck with the sale. No story clean cars sell pretty effortlessly. I agree with a comment above that I would list it now. The fall/winter are slow seasons to move exotic cars.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:08 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Easy to sell with no hassle

Price it 5-10k under "market"
Or hire a broker

Price at "market" be ready for million questions and tire kickers

Just is what it is

I sold using broker

My RS when I'm done I'll just sell under market
Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive had good luck on Autotrader and Cargurus with a 2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2003 C4S and 84 targa. I found the buyers of these cars to be extremely good people and enthusiasts and 2 of the buyers never drove the car just asked tons of questions and I had pretty meticulous records of my and previous owner ownership.
I heard many GT3 buyers really hunt for them and buy them sight unseen (I did) depending on the owner, condition, DME report, etc.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

These cars are hitting their 10 year magic number for collectibles and are iconic, powerful and fun - great choice!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've bought 3 cars from Rennlist. I tried to sell 2 and failed. One sold via AutoTrader (porsche), one via CarMax (BMW).
+1
If you list the car on RL then add a last paragraph politely asking that discussion center around the car and not the market or any other side discussion. That might help, just be aware that you'll get all sorts of peanut gallery comments.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the suggestion to post more photos that you think are necessary (maybe set up a dropbox so you can share a bunch of files easily). I'm looking at cars now and find that I have to ask for more photos and some details about the car before I can even decide if I want to spend the $$ on a PPI because most ads are too bare bones. The more you post up front the less questions you'll be bothered with. I would strongly suggest posting some videos - a walk around and something with the car running. If anyone insists on a test drive - have them spring for a PPI first, it will weed out the serious buyers quick. If people want to come and see the car - in that price range people really need to actually see the car - just tell them no test drives until after a PPI (you can then change your mind based on who shows up. All that being said - if I sell a car that is worth more than $50k, I am most likely going to use a broker... Less headache getting your hands on the cash
Old 07-16-2016, 09:00 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car has been sold to a Rennlister, pending a few details.

Thanks for all the above suggestions and advice. When it is all all said and done, i will privately tell Mooty what it had on it, and what it sold for, as he seems to be the repository of all things GT3, especially the pricing.

I will likely hang around, as this is an interesting forum. With interesting people.

Quick Reply: How to sell my GT3