Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to sell my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to sell my GT3

In several months or so, I intend to sell our '07 GT3. We are in the process of completing our move to coastal SC, and I am just not going to expose our Porsche to the salt air. We have friends on our street, who have had their wiring eaten by the Marsh Rats, their cars quickly becoming moldy, and worst of all, suffering severe corrosion. We bought our car about two years ago when my son just inquired here if anyone was considering selling a GT3, and it was easy for us and the seller to work it out. Painless for both of us.

I sold my prior 997S via a national web site, it too was easy to see the car off to Texas. But I have read occasionally here, on Rennlist, of folks just finding the insincere queries and discussions wearying. I will first offer our car to several people who have told me to contact them if ever...

So, seeking some suggestions from you as to ways to minimize having to deal with folks who have no real intention of buying a GT3, or just want this or that OEM or aftermarket part on or off our car. Or want to list the car for me. I have every record pertaining to our '07 since the day it was first sold, and having to forward or mail that to folks not really in the market for a GT3 is something I would like to avoid. If possible.

First, if consensus and experience of you all is that the hassle and aggravation of it all is just something one has to go thru, then I will do likewise. I even have several friends who have told me they just enjoy dickering with sellers of cars for the fun of it, with no intention of actually wanting the car.

So, here is my thought. If anyone wanted to drive to Columbia or the Charlotte area, and see all that I have, of course they would be welcome. But if someone wants to see all the service records, have me send pictures, would my asking for say $25 first be insulting? I am thinking such a request would go a long way to keep non serious inquiries and calls to a minimum. Long years ago, I sold a Triumph TR8, and had numerous exasperating interactions over time with someone who in the end, had no interest in the car anyway. And when the purchaser comes to drive it off, I would refund the deposit with a full tank of 93 Octane.

So, no insult to anyone here, and I seek no admonishment for a wish to avoid "tire kickers". Then too, like all of you, I would like for my beloved GT3 to go to a good home.

Now, another question. I am aware of three sellers who have had their cars damaged during a test drive by a prospective purchaser, once seriously injuring the owner. I personally never ever test drive a car I am not very interested in taking home, but do know people who love to test drive all the cars they can, just for kicks. If I let someone test drive my GT3, and they miss a downshift and score the now clean DME, bad Karma for me. In fact, a year ago, my brother in law was driving his friend's 360 Modena, and put the nose into a rock wall! And when I let some Dufus test drive my TR8, he about pulled out in front of an oncoming car, and only paused when I screamed "NO!!"

Well anyway, as usual a long post from me, and if you all just say "suck it up" and do what we all have to do, then that is what I will do in a couple of months.

Thanks as always......
Old 07-12-2016, 03:19 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with you on the tire kickers and feelers. Luckily those that are interested in the 997.1 GT3 know what they want and hopefully have the funds for it. My advice would be to price it fairly for that quick and easy sell to avoid various issues. Take good pictures and post a good ad here and in the vehicles marketplace. the more detail, the less questions anyone should ask. Would expect someone to wire you money as a deposit and fly out there to pick up the car..done.

the other option is to have the car with a consignment center and they get a cut of the $ while taking care of all the buy/sell pieces. you have a nice car but it would be easier to sell it closer to stock - the main thing i recall is it has nearly straight pipes?

as for test drives the buyer could/should ask for a PPI be done as well.

Good luck and glad you're feeling better and are back.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:56 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

NAM VET, my selling experience on Rennlist was pretty much exactly as you described - a plethora of aggravating tire kickers, picture collectors, incessant question askers and lowballers. The sad fact was that the one or two individuals who I thought might be "real" buyers would not even make the effort to come and look at the car.

Regarding a test drive - Well, I never got that far since no one ever showed up but if a serious buyer had materialized, I would first take them for a ride and then switch seats. I would NEVER let anyone drive my GT3 unless I was in the car as well and I would insist that the car is driven is a sane, safe manner. If a buyer wants to pretend he/she is Jorg Bergmeister, they can rent a GT3 elsewhere. And if the buyer is one of those jerks who just likes to test other peoples' fast cars - no dice. Show me the money if I suspect that is the case.

If I was seriously trying to sell my GT3, I would try Auto Trader as I've had mostly favorable results with them over the years. I've never sold a car on Ebay but there is a lot of exposure potential there.

In my experience, a huge problem has been logistics. The people with the desire and with ready cash to buy these cars seem to be mostly on the West Coast. In the Southeast, Porsches are just not as big a deal as they are in other locales like the Bay Area. When I gas up my '69 Camaro SS, I get far more attention and positive comments than I do with the GT3 or any other Porsche I've owned. I don't recall anyone striking up a conversation with me at a gas station with the GT3, probably because I am perceived as a snobby old rich guy, neither of which describes me.

The low mile, never tracked, bubble wrapped garage queens with clean DME's and no stories are probably an easier sell, even at crazy above market prices. The higher mile GT3's that are actually driven regularly are a different animal that attract a different buyer pool.

Good luck with your sale when the time comes, NAM VET. Patience is the key.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Where in SC you be moving too? Charleston or close by? Mike
Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Selling a car really isn't so difficult. Describe it properly, take accurate photos, and most importantly price it accordingly and it will be gone in no time. As a seller you need to be accommodating of prospective buyers' questions.

If you don't want the hassle offer it to the number of dealers who are active here here. You'll get less money but it will save you the aggravation you already seem to have.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:27 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Good luck with the sale of your car, I agree with most of what is said above, take good pictures, price it accordingly and it should sell quickly.

In the Real Estate business we always ask for a proof of funds from buyers who write offers on our listings, you could ask for a proof of funds instead of trying to charge $25 for all the cars documents. They could cross out account numbers and such but have the first page that shows the funds.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I would upload all pictures and records onto a hosting site like photobucket and direct inquiries there. Write up a good description with a few pictures so interested buyers and get all the info with your link. Any changes would be done one time and easy to do.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

I would list it here with the following information:
Lots of pictures from all angles including interior.
List of all modifications.
List of all major work performed.
A photo of the stack of service records.
A list of any paint body work so people aren't surprised to find something in PPI or carfax.
A DME printout.
A reasonable price.

The more information you give in your add the less people are going to waste your time. When I sold my 993 I had probably more than 50 inquires in the 2 weeks it was listed on several forums and craigslist. I ended up selling long distance to a rennlister. We did a thorough walk around of the car and service records over skype, he gave a deposit. A PPI was performed and then he flew up and pick up the car.

Asking $25 before you will deal with a potential buyer is going to have many possible buyers walk away. This is coming from a buyer that is somewhat actively shopping for a .1 GT3.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:58 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thought is to track down the original owner. You never know if he, or anyone else down the ownership chain of custody would want the car back.

In my case the original owner tracked me down (quiet scary to be honest) and repeatedly ticked up his offer to a ludicrous amount. I sold after saying on here many times I wouldn't. Immediate sellers regret. Anyway, good luck.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate all the suggestions and cautions above. I am on photobucket, that sounds like a good idea. Doesn't sound like a fee to mail the voluminous records is worth doing. I have been reviewing '07 GT3's for sale on the 'net, and wonder why some cars with attractive prices seem to just sit. Maybe have some issue or another. Most are in the '80's, unless really low miles. I do have all the removed OEM parts. When I get the car warmed up, and begin to exercise it, I just wish there was a way to keep the car and drive it. But in time, all things come to an end. I have several months to ponder all this.

thanks again.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

What everyone else said.

AND

997 gt3 is gorgeous and everyone wants one. But most can't afford so there are many that want to pay 996 money for a "first gen" 997 with the perception that it's the cheaper way to ownership. I personally think it's the best looking of the bunch and think the 3.6 cars trade too cheap in general.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rather than photocopy and mail copy`s of Docs, Scan them and create a Photobucket album that can then be emailed to prospective purchasers.That way you only have to do it once.
Good luck with your health.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

A GT3 represented correctly will move very quickly on RL, very real buyers and enthusiasts are on this forum.

That said,

I recently spent time in SC and it was AMAZING...Keep the GT3 and move to SC.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything everyone else has already stated. Here are my additional suggestions.

As someone who bought a 997.1 gt3 from a private seller just 6 days ago, I can tell you that enthusiasts who desire this specific 1st gen 997 gt3 just need to be able to find it. I would suggest listing as many places as possible including here as well as auto trader, eBay, pca website, excellence magazine classifieds, etc so people can find your car. Yes, you may have to put up with some people who don't have a clue or are not serious, but that's just part of the process. I think you need to list a phone number - As a buyer, I was annoyed with not being able to call and reach a seller and discuss the specifics of their car when I wanted too. As a seller, you can sort through people pretty quickly and block their calls if you realize they have no real intention of buying.
I too think your car will sell quickly if priced and advertised well. The seller who I ended up buying from just had his car listed for a couple of weeks. He had one offer from a guy who couldn't get the money together in a timely fashion. He had interest from another party who kept calling but just never pulled the trigger on a PPI. The reason I ended up with his car is that I acted promptly - I scheduled a PPI the next day, I flew down the day after the PPI paid and drove the car home the next day. You too will find a buyer who knows how great these cars are. You will be a better representative and so much more knowledgeable about your car to a potential enthusiast than any broker ever would.

Best of luck with your sale.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:24 PM
/five
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't read all the threads above but I'm probably listing mine and here is what I plan to do: since I live in an out of the way place (Amarillo TX), I will be driving my car to the Porsche dealer in Colorado Springs (fun 5 hour drive). My wife is coming up separately and we'll make a weekend getaway at the Broadmoor at which point I'll drive home with her. I'm going to have them do a PPI, address any niggling issues (sticky radio *****) and do routine fluid changes, etc. so it's totally ready for the new owner. I'm checking into a couple places to see about storage costs for a couple of weeks there (figure I'd make it easier for the prospective buyer to do fly in/drive out from Denver). If it sells quickly- awesome, if not I already am talking to P of CO Springs about trading it for a 981 Spyder in which case I'll fly back up and drive the new car home.

I think living in an area without a strong regional pool of buyers means taking some additional proactive steps to make it an easy, worry-free transaction. Heck, when I lived in Wyoming and listed my 930 I offered a $1k airfare allowance, refunded on purchase of the car. In that case with an older car I wanted the buyer to actually see the car in person. Ultimately it sold to a guy in AZ who couldn't come up but was nonetheless happy.

Quick Reply: How to sell my GT3