Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Jack, a turbo is a very different animal. I owned one for a bit and quickly got bored with it. It wasn't a very engaging car. But to each his own, I know a number of guys who love their turbos. BTW, the 997-2 GT3 is faster than the turbo from 60-120mph. Think about that for a second

Regarding the 991 GT3, I personally haven't seen a lot of "dumping" going on. I drove one for a bit and while fast and very capable, I didn't find it engaging. It was too easy to drive and the automatic transmission is not to my liking. But again, to each his own. That said, I would never own one of those out of warranty with the engine problems they have.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:33 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

991 GT3 is a great car - very versatile - on the track and DD. There are far more for sale then the 997 in part because Porsche has built at least 3 times as many. But agree with Ilko - would not want to own one out of warranty.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes with all your help I have come to my senses and the GT3 is staying. Glad I got that attack of logical sensibility out of my system, but I should also be honest, the GT3 is not the only stick car in the garage as a GT4 is my daily driver and my toy is a '83 EURO 911 SC rebuilt from the ground up into an RS clone. It is nothing short of a blast to drive and I would be in it today but I forgot to hook up the battery tender before I left for Parade and I now need a new battery unless anyone has some magic to restore a dead Odyssey PC 925

Picture of the SC at speed
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
keep the 997.2gt3
add a 991 GT3 and leave pdk to drive itself
it's a gt3 but it is way comfier than 7gt3
try one, really
lots of idiots are dumping them now. see how many for sale on various sites.
I'm with Mooty. First, don't; second, if you can add a 991 GT3 then problem solved; third if you can't have both then take 991 GT3 over Turbo.

Originally Posted by tkutz
Any idea why this "dumping" is occurring? I enjoy my 991 GT3 and prefer PDK.
Happens with every new generation. They'll get absorbed.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have both and the 991 TTS is a great car and good deals to be had now. 997 TTS also very nice. They would make a great daily and night and day to the GT3. I like the idea too of getting the new GT3. I looked at one, but the 991 TTS was a better deal and I liked it equally as much - it has no lag - its just a great car.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Yes with all your help I have come to my senses and the GT3 is staying. Glad I got that attack of logical sensibility out of my system, but I should also be honest, the GT3 is not the only stick car in the garage as a GT4 is my daily driver and my toy is a '83 EURO 911 SC rebuilt from the ground up into an RS clone. It is nothing short of a blast to drive and I would be in it today but I forgot to hook up the battery tender before I left for Parade and I now need a new battery unless anyone has some magic to restore a dead Odyssey PC 925
With a GT4 and SC in the garage you have no shortage of sticks....
You can mothball the GT3 and still come out on top. Thus keep it. no harm done.

GT4 is a fun car but I wouldnt keep it over the GT3 FWIW.

The SC is good aircooled value. Lots of fun and a different experience compared to the water pumpers in your driveway. Good bang for the buck compared to a longhood aircooled car.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest either a 991.1/.2 GTS w/PDK. Engaging, an amazing road car, and holding its value due to the limited production.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
With a GT4 and SC in the garage you have no shortage of sticks....
You can mothball the GT3 and still come out on top. Thus keep it. no harm done.

GT4 is a fun car but I wouldnt keep it over the GT3 FWIW.

The SC is good aircooled value. Lots of fun and a different experience compared to the water pumpers in your driveway. Good bang for the buck compared to a longhood aircooled car.
The GT4 is a great car fantastic turn in balance but not the explosive power of the GT 3. They are both great cars but different. When i got an allocation for the GT4 I asked my wife ( love that lady and it will be 50 years next year) what i should get ride of. She looked me right in the eye and said and I quote " Not a damm thing" Did I mention I love that young lady.

As for the SC, not quite stock, without telling all, I have to run it in the improved class for P:CA auto x. thanks to the Magic of Jone Autowerks it is light, agile and fast. A joy to drive quickly
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have a 997.2 GT3 that I throughly enjoy, but don't drive daily and my wonderful wife has chosen that being over 70 she no longer is interested in driving stick. We have other cars. So I'm at least toying with trading this beauty for a Turbo S so she can drive it and we can use it for trips. HOWEVER I keep thinking that the 2011 GT 3 is within 30 VINs of the last of the Megzer engines, the last of the stick GT 3's and the last of the manual handbrake GT3's and is holding its value better than the Turbos. Every time I start to think about trading it I end up asking myself WHY. Others thoughts
Yes, GT3 is a better hold than a turbo, but...............

cash out while the market is hot.
enjoy the new turbo you buy.
no need to buy the S.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also which Turbo S were you thinking about? If you can get the 997.2 TT with PDK then that could be a good hold. They don't get as much love as the 997.1 TT because it has the newer motor but it's still a great platform and shouldn't depreciate too much especially if you get an S version.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Turbo