Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:54 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?

Hi guys.

I follow the posts here but don't post much. I need some guidance and wisdom from all here. I am thinking about purchasing a white 2007 997 GT3. It has 29,000 miles and has admittedly been tracked and modded with a roll cage and exhaust. Two sets of wheels. New tires. Three owner car. Has its original seats. Aftermarket nav/stereo system. The paint looks good, but the clear bra does have some obvious damage from driving / track use. I think the paint should be good after removal of the film. Steel brakes. DME report says ZERO overrevs.

My question is whether this GT3 is a good car for me and if I should be concerned about the track use?

About me: I am in my early 50's and have never owned a modern water-cooled Porsche. I want a car just for fun weekend driving - not a daily driver. I don't ever see myself tracking the car - I wouldn't even know how to get started. I am not mechanically inclined and really have no business even following the Pelican forums. I was lucky and bought an early turbo several years ago before the market went crazy. I also own a 83 911 cab. Both of these cars are really fun to drive, but (in my opinion) they are NOT that fast. I want something with some real oomph. I have test driven a used non-modded 997.1tt and it was plenty fast for me. I can't explain it, but the 997.1tt just didn't feel like the one.

Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you think? Proper car for someone like me? Waste of money if I'm not going to track the car? Should I be concerned about the track use as long as it was maintained properly and the PPI is good?

Thanks.

Robert
Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

search more on 7gt3 and read up a lot - it is a truly great car, one of porsche's greatest hits for sure... for road AND for track, but it requires sacrifices and it is not 'easy' to drive... while it is in its element on track it also delivers a truly tactile and exhilarating road driving experience if driven at speed, so in that sense it is not 'wasted' on the road like many think 1gt3's are...but clutch is VERY heavy and the car is jiggling and rides hard, lurches and surges

u shd definitely drive the car for an extended period before deciding... for most non trackers a 7 gts w manual may be a better compromise

Last edited by golfnutintib; 06-29-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 PM
abcut973
Pro

Hum ... if you like NA manual fast track car the GT3 is for you!
Looks like you are already a porsche owner so the choice shouldn't be hard.
You did your homework on that white GT3. Over rev report is clean, clear bra will probably need replacement, you get extra set of wheels. Ok radio is aftermarket but not a deal breaker. Does it include the OEM unit?
What other aftermarket parts were installed ? tweaked suspension? LSD? Coolant pipes addressed?
If I was to buy a tracked car I would want to know that. Even though I would not track it this would just tell me how far this car was taken care of. If owner has documented service history it is even better.
GL
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

100% drive it

.1s ride pretty hard but are wonderfully clean looking cars
Old 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the 997.1 GT3 is not a waste of money if you don't track the car. It works just fine as a weekend car and occasional DD, not as a primary DD. Go test drive one and go from there.

My friend with a modded 997.1 TT 6MT traded back to back with my car and it's night and day. His car is super fast but to me it's not useable power anywhere on a public road. what about that car did you not like about it? might be similar issues with the GT3.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the GT3 is the smile machine.
It sounds and drives fantastic.

For the right price, the tracked car could be a good buy. But the price has to be good.
Would be nice to know the condition of the following:

The after market radio is not something i am a fan of and who knows how many wires have been cut from the factory harness. I would want stock radio but it would take a little work to get it right again.

Roll bar install is important. The manufacture would be important to know as well as how it is mounted.
Some people have simple bolt in, some have weld in with custom plates. Others drill holes in the floor.
Some roll bars limit the use of sunroof and can bend the frame rails.

Tracked cars tend to have worn calliper bolts (can be replaced with studs), calliper dust boots melted (can be replaced), worn out limited slip differentials (best replaced with aftermarket), worn syncros in the gear box (can be replaced) , tired clutch and pressure plate (can be replaced) and tired coolant pipe connections (can be replaced).

Wear and tear items that can be replaced but of course come at a cost.

Final inspection would be the over-rev DME report.

Again, for the right price it wouldnt be bad to take this car and put it back to street duty, but you would want to know these things first.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Fantastic cars. Get a PPI, don't be scared of the track use. These cars are stout.

That said... You live in Dallas... Driving roads are well, few and far between... So if you intend to use for the track, great. But I think the TT is a better cruiser. I find my RS boring unless on canyons or the track. It's not alive until it's at 6k+ and you're breaking the law in anything above 2nd gear at that point. I'd rather cruise PCH in my 89 because it THINKS it is going fast in ANY gear! :-)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't been on a track for 15 years (just current lifestyle - maybe again after kids off to college) and love the GT3. Also in DFW area. I use it occasionally. I also own two turbos - The GT2 and the 991 TTS. They all have a different character for sure. I have to admit out of the 3 right now the 997.1 GT3 is my favorite to run about. Its cruder than the GT2 even. I really enjoy it. You have said nothing that doesn't make me believe that car suits you well.

I would have no hesitation on track use. Especially with zero over revs. I almost pulled the trigger on a 997.2 GT3 that had a little track time and zero over revs. I had no hesitations other than I liked the 997.1 better for me.

The only reason in DFW area I would not use as a DD is it is not a great car for heavy rain that sits on concrete.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Wow. Lots of great advice and wisdom.

I need to do more homework on the car. I know you try to buy the owner, but the car is for sale by a dealer who doesn't know all the past history of mods. The OEM radio is not available. I don't know what kind of roll cage was installed. I don't know what other aftermarket parts have been installed, suspension mods, or even if the coolant pipes have been addressed.

Hopefully the PPI will reveal a lot for me. Getting extended driving time to try out any car is ideal, but really not possible for most of us. Like anything, will just go with my gut on this one. Like a lot of you, I may have to just take the plunge and worst case, I experience a great car and move to another in time.

Appreciate everyone's advice and will keep you informed if I pull the trigger.

Best Regards.

Robert
Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another DFW 7.1 GT3 owner, I will tell you it is my feeling all the comments about the GT3 being too hard to drive as a daily, clutch too heavy, suspension too stiff, too loud are overhyped. Use in hard heavy rain should be done with caution which is more about the tires than the car. No reason to fear a track used car, it's is what they were built for. Service records, PPI, and DME report are what you need to have peace of mind. A test drive would be a big plus.
As an early air cooled owner I will testify as to how addictive the GT3 is. I have done two long trips, one of 5400 and another of 2800 miles in the GT3 and the car was flawless and very comfortable. What's not to love. Make sure to verify or get the coolent tube fix.
Good luck with your decision process.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
Another DFW 7.1 GT3 owner
We need to get all these dfw 7.1 gt3s in one place.

And yes those tires have no real tread. My GT2 same way. Agree with the over hype clutch/hard to drive comment. The only time I felt the clutch was heavier than I thought was when I was barefoot.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the car? I have a buddy in DFW that just picked up a .2 GT3 and may have a white .1 GT3 for sale. I have a .2 GT3 and put a thousand miles a month on it. I drive it everywhere in Plano/ Allen area. Even with GMG bypass. Lol. I love it.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:53 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

My perspective might be a bit warped relative to others. But, if you don't plan to track, why even look at a vehicle with so many aftermarket, questionably installed track items? The wiring changes necessary for aftermarket sound and nav equipment would scare me away immediately. As a total, those mods will lower resale value so much that I wouldn't consider its value at $15K below the going price for a stock car. Just keep looking.

Also, over the past 6 years and more than 35K miles, it still puts a grin on my face. I found the car for me, good luck finding yours.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:52 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are comfortable with an early turbo and a 80's 911, the GT3 will not be a problem or uncomfortable. As stated by others, go drive one and get a feel. Not a daily but it has many more in car comforts that what you are used to in earlier air cooled, plus much more performance. Mods are a personal decision but if the over revs are fine track use shouldn't scare anyone.

I buy a cars with some miles vs. garage queens. Cars that have some miles had the mechanical systems tested. Cars that sit can dry out. Its a machine, use it.

Since you stated you haven't owned a modern Porsche, no better place to start than GT3.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

You mentioned you wouldn't know how to get started to tracking the car. Well, you're in luck. There's TONS of opportunities in DFW and you're close to one of the most engaging tracks in our area, MSR Cresson 3.1. It's also quite forgiving of mistakes.

PCA, The Drivers Edge, Apex all offer instructed days at various tracks that can take you from driving at Walmart parking lot speeds to as fast as you want to go in a relatively safe, controlled environment.

Post here for tons of responses or PM me directly and I'll get you started.

BTW, I've had 3 Porsche's and none of them were as engaging as my NSX, until I got the GT3. Why I waited to make the jump I'll never now. Track or street, the car just talks to my soul when I drive it.

Quick Reply: Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?