Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, you are sure to just love your new-to-you GT3, perhaps especially as it is one of the more simple of the breed. I especially love GT3's in white.

I often read and hear of discussions on this or that performance car being more or less suitable for daily use. Of course, if one needs to keep a set of golf clubs in the car, or haul children around, or park in hazardous places, those are different requirements. But I grew up in TR's, MG's, and other primitive by any standard sports cars. So even as I near 70 this fall, I just don't have a problem without what others may think essential. I don't listen to a radio in any of my cars, and far prefer to drive with my left arm on the door, wind in my face, even on hot or cold days. Just put on my flight jacket and gloves, or sunscreen on my left arm, and go. Our GT3 has the full-on Sharkwerk's track exhaust, so I keep ear plugs in the car. I only run AC when it is raining and humid. I drove our Superformance 427 Cobra replica over 140,000 miles for a decade, as it truly was my daily driver. Hot, cold, ice, snow, rain, whatever it was, just bundle up if necessary, and since the top took 15 minutes to put up, and leaked anyway, just keep my speed up if it was raining. Drilled holes in the footwell to let the water out.

I can be pretty content wherever I am, I just don't need much creature comfort. Maybe it goes back to my Army years, or perhaps my DNA is part dog, and 5% Neanderthal. So using our GT3 as a daily driver works just fine for me. Perhaps an analogy illustrates how I see life.

Back in about '60, when I was in Jr High, towards the end of the school year, one of the gym coaches same over in the lunch room, and sat by me, and said "I have watched you all year, and every day, all you have for lunch is three pieces of cherry pie." I replied, "...because I like cherry pie." So if you like doing something, do it as much as you can.

Here is my home in the Mekong Delta for a year, with one SGT, going out with the Vietnamese on their operations. Rain water for drinking and bathing, only electricity when I could get our generator running, rats running around at nite, latrine a walk thru mud to a canal, rice and dried fish at each meal. Rain thru the shrapnel holes in the roof. But I was fine and felt I was a whole lot better off than many soldiers were. The car and my home.....

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the nice comments and stories. It's nice to have such great advice from such a knowledgeable and experienced crowd. I appreciate all the free wisdom.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations - great color choice! haha I had mine as a DD for about 6 months, but the bumpy roads, traffic and parking problems made me switch it to a weekend ride. If it sits for too long and I start to forget why I have kept it all these years, I just take it for a spin and fall in love all over again. I haven't tracked it - not sure why - but I hope to!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obdel#1
But for me, I think it's a perfect car for nice longer weekend spirited drives and a keeper even if I don't end up ever tracking her.
Then put this spirited drive on your calendar:

On Saturday Sept 24, drive to Cresson, Tx, south of Ft. Worth on 377.
Proceed to Motorsport Ranch on the south side of town. Be sure arrive by 11am.
There you will find a Maverick Region HPDE event in progress.
At the lunch break, get in line to drive your GT3 on the track for parade laps.
These are paced laps at a very comfortable speed.
It will be a blast.
On your drive home, try to find one single turn or bend in the road that was as fun as what you experienced on the parade laps.
And later on... you may well indeed end up tracking her ;-)

See you there.
Congrats on the decision. Welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?