Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:47 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

The GT3 is an awesome car and if you have your heart set on it do it. However when I was shopping for a 911 I had written off the Cayman GT4 until I actually drove one. I highly suggest trying a GT4 out if you're open to a Cayman.

Otherwise also check out the 997.2 911 GTS. I drove one of those during shopping and it's a sweetheart. You can handle light track duty and it's a blast on back roads. As a bonus is that it's cheaper you can get a tremendous deal.

With that said even though I bought a GT4 I still have a 911 GT3 itch that will need to get scratched some day.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by obdel#1

My question is whether this GT3 is a good car for me and if I should be concerned about the track use?

About me: I am in my early 50's and have never owned a modern water-cooled Porsche. I want a car just for fun weekend driving - not a daily driver. I don't ever see myself tracking the car - I wouldn't even know how to get started. I am not mechanically inclined and really have no business even following the Pelican forums. I was lucky and bought an early turbo several years ago before the market went crazy. I also own a 83 911 cab. Both of these cars are really fun to drive, but (in my opinion) they are NOT that fast. I want something with some real oomph. I have test driven a used non-modded 997.1tt and it was plenty fast for me. I can't explain it, but the 997.1tt just didn't feel like the one.
the GT3 you are considering is probably fine
but
IMO, if you are posting this question here, you are probably more of a candidate for a 997.1 Turbo or C2S (if you want that gen car).

I think most of us REALLY WANT a 3 because of their capabilities and are willing to put up with "minor associated compromises" that go along with a more track-focused experience.

We have a very good 09 2S and it is a VERY capable car and at least $30k less than a GT3.

I just sold a 997.1 Turbo, I prefer the NA C2S for many reasons.

Ciao.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If no track I'd get a turbo, more torque and power and more comfort on the street. I have a .1 997 set up pretty much as the car you're looking at if you want to check it out I'd be happy to show you since I'm also in DFW.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 997 GT3 is a good ways from stock and very track focused, but I still use it to commute from time to time. It's been a while since I've been in a stock one, but I think they are great on the street as well.

I also like the suggestion of the GT4. I imagine a lightly used one could be found for a similar price to a 997 GT3 (maybe a little more) without the modifications.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

My take as an age 67 geezer whose tracking days (actual racing in a dedicated race car, not DE) are way behind me, is that the 997.1 GT3 is a great street car as long as you understand and accept what it's intended purpose is and are prepared for the resultant compromises.

I find the ride to be firm but not jarring unless the PASM button is depressed. The clutch isn't difficult to manage unless you have knee issues. But there is a LOT of road noise in the cabin, even with the significantly quieter Bridgestone Pole Positions that replaced the lethal-in-the-rain Michelin PS2's that were on the car when I bought it. Even with a center muffler bypass, the exhaust sound isn't intrusive at cruising speeds and above 4,500 RPM, well.....that's not noise, that's music!

Ride height is an issue as well as the rubber front spoiler lip is very easy to scrape. After I bought the new $300 one from Suncoast, I had Goldcrest Motorsports raise the suspension 20mm....no handling detriment on the street and no more scrapes.

The track-oriented posters on here usually say that you will be happier with a Turbo. Possibly. I grew up with the much harder-core air cooled 911's which were also firm riding and noisy. If you are a fan of the air cooled Porsches, I believe you will embrace the GT3 with wide open arms as it is one of the few water cooled 911's that old school Porsche purists embrace. You really need to drive one before deciding, though.

Two more reasons to consider a .1 GT3 are:

1.) Simplicity. By today's standards, these are relatively uncomplicated Porsches and if you are like me and do your own routine maintenance, they are pretty easy to work on with the proper tools. Not to mention that the 3.6 Mezger engine is pretty much bulletproof, especially with a mostly street-driven car.

2.) RESALE VALUE! There aren't going to be any more Mezger engine, manual transmission GT3's. Prices are up, they will probably stay up and may even increase as time goes on.

Believe me, if you can handle a 997.1 GT3's eccentricities, it will put a smile on your face every time you climb aboard.

Last edited by jackb911; 07-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to reinforce what Jack said, I also drive mine exclusively on the street and had the ride height raised 25mm and put a very conservative alignment on the car. No neg camber. Car still sticks great and is comfortable on the street. I also have a DSC module and third accelerometer, a short R&P (3.89 from .2RS), and Sharkworks center delete and tips. Like Jack a long time early 911, 67 year old,
Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great advice. I welcome and appreciate all the honest opinions and even offers for help.

I know people love their turbos, but for whatever reason, I can't get away from what I've learned about the 997.1 GT3. I realize I can't use all the power and potential on the street, but from what I am hearing, it will still be a fun car and not that hard to drive if not pushed too hard. People here say that they would "rather drive a slow car fast that a fast car slow", but sometimes it might still be fun driving a fast car "kind of fast". I won't be driving it everyday - just plan on taking it out in good weather for some spirited driving. For this kind of driving, I don't think the harsher ride or noise will be an issue. Raising the driving height sounds like a great idea. The previous owner actually lowered this one.

I am in the process of setting up a PPI and will let you know once I get the report.

Thank-you to all.

Robert
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Default I took the plunge!

Here is my update. Thank-you all for your input.

So during my search, I came across a different 997.1 GT3 in Houston. 2 - owner car with no mods except clear front turn signal lenses and clear bra. 11,500 miles. No paintwork, never tracked. Power heated seats. Original radio / cd unit with no nav system. Full leather with alcantera and deviated red stitching.

I called the seller and we agreed on a price - pending PPI. Had the car checked out by Warren at Rennsport in Sealy. I would highly recommend Warren / Rennsport there - He is very practical and no non-sense and reasonable. I see why they have such a great reputation. If I lived closer, I would use him for all routine maintenance and repairs. PPI revealed no over-revs in any range and no major issues except an inoperable limited slip - Warren stated he found these to be weak in GT3's and has repaired several in low mile cars, a minor oil leak on the rear main, and some "yellowing" on the clear bra. Overall, he gave the thumbs up on a great, well maintained GT3.

Impulsively, the next day my 11 y.o. son and I flew from Dallas to Houston. The seller picked us up from Hobby airport and took us to the car. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the one. After a trip to his bank, my son and I drove it 275 miles home. We had a great one day adventure.

My car is stock and I cannot comment on any other iteration of GT3 or modified GT3's as I don't have any experience with them. Also my experience is an early one - as I have only owned the car for a few days, but here are my impressions.

First - I think all the opinions I have read on the 997.1 GT3 are spot on target, and I thank everyone for their input and advice.

The car is a blast to drive. The car is plenty fast for me - the acceleration very linear and no turbo - so no lag. It pulls and pulls endlessly. The steering and handling is fantastic. I always felt in total control of the car. The chassis is very stiff and you feel in touch with the road. The stock exhaust note is amazing when accelerating! It is not a hard car to drive if you are not pushing it too hard. The cabin is not quiet. This is not the car you buy if you want to enjoy your stereo system. I did find myself asking my son to speak up several times during our trip (or this could just have been me getting more and more hard of hearing). The ride is not plush - you do feel the road - but I have two air-cooled cars and the ride is very comfortable compared to my older cars. Even on our 4 hour trip, we felt very comfortable in the car. The car is LOW. On the highway, not a problem in the world. On residential streets, even turning too fast will scrape. A front lift may be in my future.

Lastly, the car is just flat out beautiful! The lines of the car are gorgeous and the back has HIPS, just not the full widebody. I really like the classic white - even though it may be more common.

For a family of 5, this car makes no sense for me - it is impractical, somewhat loud, heck - no back seats - I could only take one kid to school at a time. But for me, I think it's a perfect car for nice longer weekend spirited drives and a keeper even if I don't end up ever tracking her.

Thanks again for all the sage advice.

P.S. I did include two obligatory pics or I know it didn't really happen.

Robert.
Attached Images   

Last edited by obdel#1; 07-10-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations, and I am glad you enjoyed your drive home.
Hope to see it in person at a future event.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 PM
abcut973
Pro

Great car! Congrats!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 401 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, I'm jealous.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

congrats

get a guards lsd to replace the worn oem one

truly great cars are not and cannot be all things to all people, and suit all uses... they are 'narrow band' cars that work brilliantly in their specific comfort zone and application

you have one of the truly great porsche's ever... enjoy!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:32 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on a GREAT score! You did very well, my friend!
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 AM
blackoutz
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! I was considering going and looking at that car but I wanted a black one. Looks like you found a winner.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats. Sounds like a great car. I took mine on a 500 mile road trip and actually found the ride fine. Hope to see you at a local event. I might take the GT3 to cars and Cannolis this weekend along with my 991 TTS and Aston. It's at Addison airport. Huge Porsche turn out.

Quick Reply: Is the 997.1 GT3 the right choice for me?