Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AM V12 Vantage S Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool. Sounds like you had a great trip there meeting some of the key executives at AM. Quite an experience.

I dig the matte gray as a color choice.. Perhaps w/ Orange.
Be a nice addition to the stable.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by maxbhp

I spent some time talking to the new CEO Dr. Andy Palmer - all he wanted to do was talk about my GT3RS and how great of a car it is - a real car nut with a background specifically in manual transmissions (he was Manual Transmission Chief Engineer of Rover Group back in the 80s and 90s before going to Nissan and heading their racing team amongst other roles) and a big reason why the V12 vantage S is back with a 7 speed dogleg.
Knowing that Dr. Palmer was a transmission guy is extremely interesting and encouraging. AM has a chance to make the std. trans a hallmark of the brand.

Thanks for posting your experience, good luck on your hunt.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

The V12 Vantage is a terrific car but I am not so sure about the relative improvement of the V12S. (I had one on order but cancelled.) The V12 is already probably over-powered relative to its chassis and the engine has massive torque. It is completely different from the 997.1 GT3RS which is probably slightly underpowered relative to its chassis - particularly when compared to the 997.2 RS or the 4.0. Of all the Metzger engined RSs, the 996.2 RS is the rawest, the 4.0 the most sublime, and (ironically) the 997.1 RS is my favorite - probably because it has a chassis slightly more capable than the power on offer. I am fortunate to have the V12 Vantage and all the RSs. If I were you, I'd seriously consider a low mileage V12 Vantage - the depreciation is eye watering so one can pick up a sub-5k mile car for about half the cost of a V12 S. The extra gear is unnecessary as the torque is so extreme. The Vantage is really more of a GT car and is completely different from the RSs. I agree about Andy Palmer - he is terrific for Aston. By the way, the V12 S three pedal is limited to 100 cars in the US. As I understand it, it is unlimited in other markets - I wouldn't count on great resale value. Reliability is an issue with the secondary systems - electrics, etc.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
I wouldn't count on great resale value. Reliability is an issue with the secondary systems - electrics, etc.
As a V12 AM owner I agree. The nice thing about your 997.1 RS is it will hold value. The AM will drop like a bomb. I will say the AM is top notch. I do love mine. Its such a different animal to my 3 Porsches. I enjoy them for what they are. The GT3 is my favorite p-car.

Quick Reply: AM V12 Vantage S Manual