Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pick 2 of the 3 please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

definitely sit in the LWBS if you can before making a decision on them. i thought i wanted them until i sat in them and realized that for the majority of driving i do (street, twisty roads) they weren't going to add much more than looking cool and being less comfortable. decided to save the $6k.

and there are cheaper race seats out there that you could get if you find that your car turns into more of a track toy.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Buckets and pccb for street car. You should never wear out PCCB on the street, maintenance free brakes would be nice.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For everyday / street use:

- PCCB's are excellent (steel brakes stop just fine, they just produce much more brake dust, and disks need replacement every now and then; if You don't track Your car, Your PCCB disks should last the lifetime of the car; mine are 6 years old and as good as new still).

- Lift is very handy; albeit problem-prone. (I can testify to this).

- Buckets; haven't met the 1st 997.2 GT3 owner who wouldn't want these (myself included). They simply look a 1,000,000 times better on a GT3 than std sport seats.That said, the std seats are just fine for street driving. Actually lots more practical and comfy than buckets.

While these options are all certainly nice-to-have's, (and in my case I give preference to the order above), I wouldn't turn away a good specimen if overall condition / price was favourable. Overall car condition is always Always #1 on my list.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 PM
TD_05
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks to all of you who have given your opinion. Front axle and CF bucket seats were probably my initial choices when I posted this thread, but with some of your feedback, and recent posts about front axle lift failure, perhaps thats not the best opinion.

So, when the front end of your car "bottoms out" or scrapes at LOW speed, ie speed bumps, driveways what part actually hits the pavement? Is it just the front cup lip? or are other less easily replaceable parts getting damaged?

thanks again SO much?

TD
Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

PCCB and lift.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

I forgo probably all options. As a street car steel rotors are fine cheap to replace/ bucket seats- don't think u need them for the street/ lift system- a pic of said steep driveway determines if u need a front lift(have not encountered a driveway that steep to warrant a lift system). Buy car on condition as one mentioned. Mike
Old 03-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I forgo probably all options. As a street car steel rotors are fine cheap to replace/ bucket seats- don't think u need them for the street/ lift system- a pic of said steep driveway determines if u need a front lift(have not encountered a driveway that steep to warrant a lift system). Buy car on condition as one mentioned. Mike
100%

And as for the buckets, try everything. My .2 rs has the rarely optioned adjustable bolster bladders in favor of the buckets (gasp) and you know what? I really like them. Snug it up on the sides and add a little lumbar goes a long way.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TD_05
Thanks to all of you who have given your opinion. Front axle and CF bucket seats were probably my initial choices when I posted this thread, but with some of your feedback, and recent posts about front axle lift failure, perhaps thats not the best opinion.

So, when the front end of your car "bottoms out" or scrapes at LOW speed, ie speed bumps, driveways what part actually hits the pavement? Is it just the front cup lip? or are other less easily replaceable parts getting damaged?

thanks again SO much?

TD
Unless you're significantly lower than factory ride height or going over some crazy stuff, you're probably going to toast your front lip and nothing else.

Get the OEM cup lip. It's made out of a flexible plastic, and at $200 a pop, cheaper than pretty much any factory front lip out there from any other brand. Heck, even Honda and Subaru charge more, let alone BMW and their fancy M Performance carbon fiber doodads. Most of the board members just treat the OEM cup lips as disposable.

You should see my current cup lip....people wonder why I haven't replaced it yet. I figure hell, it hasn't fallen off so it's still good, lol. I have one in nice shape on standby anyhoo once this one is on it's absolute last legs.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i take buckets and lift, pccb meh
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 AM
YnotGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my car the same way you are planning. I love the PCCBs and it KEEPs me away from the track and they are excellent on the street. I wish my .1 had the lift system.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been pining for LWBS since they started on Suncoast web site. Although, i have had chances to buy them, the price is a little steep for a non-tracked car.
M2 cents, I love the PCCB's and get the buckets.. You can always change your approach to the driveway, make the transition one wheel at a time, and buy tons of cup lips ( as said above)

JUST DO IT :-)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:55 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I would go for bucket seats.

Don't mind washing my car/wheels and love to hold up cars when I zig zag over speed bumps.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

PCCB and Front axle lift - on a used P-car both practical and useful - PCCB = no brake dust and last forever and the front axle lift means no curbing - far too often a performance car problem. Wish I had that...
Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997.1 GT3 with PCCB and buckets.
For street only I'd skip the buckets. The stock seats are so much more comfortable.
The PCCB are great on the street - no dust!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a street to sidewalk transition with an aggressive rain runoff dip at my home and I will scrape the GT3 unless I approach at 45 degrees doing 2mph, so I have already learned that the front lip is sarcificial. Porsche thought this one out well though and it attaches easily with press tabs and a sheet metal screw on each end
http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...9975055579401c

Originally Posted by TD_05

thanks again SO much?

TD

Quick Reply: Pick 2 of the 3 please