Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Power steering pump prime/bleed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:00 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering pump prime/bleed??

The power steering pump on my 997 GT3 is producing some weird noise so I am replacing it

I need help with the removal/ installation process

I already took the CA compressor out and detached the PS pump from the bracket

Can anyone walk me on the disassembly process? Meaning, any special caution needed in removing the hoses? How do you disconnect the low pressure hose ( the one with the red ring on the picture below)?

Also do I have to bleed/prime the new power steering pump before installing? If so, how to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

i don't know the exact procedure to remove the hoses. what i DO KNOW is not to use any tools that pry or will mark them or you will be dropping your engine to replace the lines to the front of the car. BE CAREFUL. I believe you need to pushing the red part on the pump and that releases the hose. Supposedly not easy.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:58 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! Any idea if the pump need to be primed and how to do it?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a plastic tool to push on the red ring, at the same time push the hose in the just pull out while keeping the red ring pushed in. If you stop just push the hose straight back in then repeat the process. a forked tool is best so it sits ethier side of the hose and pushes the red ring in evenly. Note the red ring only moves in a tiny amount.

To prime, top the tank to mark, if the belt is off turn pump manually to prime if not just start run for a minute, reset ps oil level then start and turn steering lok to lock 3 or 4 times and top up as required. system self primes.

Note the valve on top is to measure pressure only.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a new pump the recommendation is to start/stop engine quickly multiple times, or before putting belt on spin the pump (full of fluid) by hand multiple times. Then once started, rotate the steering wheel lock to lock and it should quiet down quickly as the air is bled out.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Power steering pump prime/bleed??