Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pilot Sport 4 to replace Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts
Default Pilot Sport 4 to replace Super Sport

According to this month's "Evo" The Super Sport is to be replaced by the new Pilot Sport 4 which apparently started shipping this year.

17" and 18" MPSS is stopping this year, and there are apparently sizes 35-45 profile, 20t to 275 widths Y rated.

article goes on to claim that much of the technology introduced in the Super
Sport has been adapted for the MPS4.

no details about 911 19" or 20" fitments ...

Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

good info - -thx for sharing
Old 03-09-2016, 01:49 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

progress marches ever forward, but its hard to imagine how the mpss can be substantially improved upon... just a great road tire with chops to withstand some track abuse with a lot of grace
Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Just as I buy PSS for my daily
Old 03-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
progress marches ever forward, but its hard to imagine how the mpss can be substantially improved upon... just a great road tire with chops to withstand some track abuse with a lot of grace
As I read it, Evo seemed to suggest that the MPS4 is a combination of the PS3 and SS technology, in particular the tread pattern is a combination, which I am
not sure is a great thing as the SS had great grip on the track

Originally Posted by kk2
Just as I buy PSS for my daily
article claims that the larger SS fitments will not stop being manufactured until next year.

Which I think is funny, since the larger fitments have essentially not being produced for some months given the complete absence of 19" & 20" 305's
in N.A ...

Also looking at the Michelin website, they only show 17" & 18" fitments available right now ...
Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Larry, do you have a link to the article?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Larry, do you have a link to the article?
nope but I will scan and mail it to you now... DONE.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Wonder what they are going to cost...did they also mention project treadwear? Did it increase from the PSS? It has to have a gap to the PSC2...

I'm finding it hard to find PS2s these days for the 6GT3 and I don't want to spend $2k on PSC2s that only last 5k miles.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lax01
Wonder what they are going to cost...did they also mention project treadwear? Did it increase from the PSS? It has to have a gap to the PSC2...

I'm finding it hard to find PS2s these days for the 6GT3 and I don't want to spend $2k on PSC2s that only last 5k miles.
sadly it didn't say - you can always look at the 17" & 18" fitments available on their website to extrapolate...
Old 03-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
....article claims that the larger SS fitments will not stop being manufactured until next year.

Which I think is funny, since the larger fitments have essentially not being produced for some months given the complete absence of 19" & 20" 305's
in N.A ......
+1, Exactly what Tire Rack said when I called to buy last month "90 days or more, but they've been saying that since Autumn"

The nice TR guy did say his feeling was that it was a seasonal production and he wouldn't be surpised if it started up in the next months to supply the summer crowd.

Sounds more like a production model change, but I'm just guessing
Old 03-13-2016, 01:02 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
According to this month's "Evo" The Super Sport is to be replaced by the new Pilot Sport 4 which apparently started shipping this year.

17" and 18" MPSS is stopping this year, and there are apparently sizes 35-45 profile, 20t to 275 widths Y rated.

article goes on to claim that much of the technology introduced in the Super
Sport has been adapted for the MPS4.

no details about 911 19" or 20" fitments ...

Lots of confusion surrounding this. PS4 is not replacing the PSS. PSS is still the top street tire. They're saying the PS4 takes it closer to PSS levels by borrowing some of it's features and tech.

Expect a PSS2 or equivalent 1-3 years from now.

Ideally with AD08R and the RE71R out, Michelin needs to move the PS4 more upmarket towards the PSS into the max performance category and the PSS2 needs to move into the extreme performance category.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:33 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Lots of confusion surrounding this. PS4 is not replacing the PSS. PSS is still the top street tire. They're saying the PS4 takes it closer to PSS levels by borrowing some of it's features and tech.

Expect a PSS2 or equivalent 1-3 years from now.

Ideally with AD08R and the RE71R out, Michelin needs to move the PS4 more upmarket towards the PSS into the max performance category and the PSS2 needs to move into the extreme performance category.
That PA tech session with Michelin rep said it was replacing SS. I think he used that exact term. Video of tech session was in PCA email last week.

Edit:
Here's the video. He says 'replacement'

http://youtu.be/f06yebhEnlg
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
That PA tech session with Michelin rep said it was replacing SS. I think he used that exact term. Video of tech session was in PCA email last week.

Edit:
Here's the video. He says 'replacement'

http://youtu.be/f06yebhEnlg
Hmm... this is bizarre. Conflicting information out there.

I found a link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm

At the bottom of the page, SS is on top.

EDIT: Read some additional info. Sticking to what I first said. Super sports replacement is due in ~2017 apparently. PS4 seems like it is very similar in performance to SS, but will not be the top tire.

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 03-14-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Hmm... this is bizarre. Conflicting information out there.

I found a link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm

At the bottom of the page, SS is on top.

EDIT: Read some additional info. Sticking to what I first said. Super sports replacement is due in ~2017 apparently. PS4 seems like it is very similar in performance to SS, but will not be the top tire.
NOWHERE in the press release from Michelin that tyre reviews supplied in the very article they wrote does it say that the MPSS will (quoting tyre review) 'continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4...'.

However, the video from the PCA tech session has a Michelin rep directly stating 'replacement'. I'm inclined to believe info from the horse's mouth. I'm not making this distinction to say you're wrong. I'm simply saying the source of info is more reliable. If you can find more credible sourcing (which would have to be directly from some source at Michelin) then please share it because I also do not want to be putting confusing or conflicting info here.
Cheers.

Edit: I see the comment section of that article references a chat with Michelin also confirming it is a replacement. However, there is a twist as it replaces all generic SS but OE manufactured SS will be available until 2017. Can someone explain the differences between 'OE Manufacturer' and 'generic' tires in this situation? I took OE meaning something like Porsche's N rating. Since SS's aren't N rated, they will soon not be available to us. That's what I'm understanding but please correct me if that's wrong.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
NOWHERE in the press release from Michelin that tyre reviews supplied in the very article they wrote does it say that the MPSS will (quoting tyre review) 'continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4...'.

However, the video from the PCA tech session has a Michelin rep directly stating 'replacement'. I'm inclined to believe info from the horse's mouth. I'm not making this distinction to say you're wrong. I'm simply saying the source of info is more reliable. If you can find more credible sourcing (which would have to be directly from some source at Michelin) then please share it because I also do not want to be putting confusing or conflicting info here.
Cheers.

Edit: I see the comment section of that article references a chat with Michelin also confirming it is a replacement. However, there is a twist as it replaces all generic SS but OE manufactured SS will be available until 2017. Can someone explain the differences between 'OE Manufacturer' and 'generic' tires in this situation? I took OE meaning something like Porsche's N rating. Since SS's aren't N rated, they will soon not be available to us. That's what I'm understanding but please correct me if that's wrong.
PS4 is replacing SS for smaller diameter wheels. I don't think it's a better or worse tire. They're similar more or less. There's a better tire coming out that will replace the SS in 2017.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4 to replace Super Sport