Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pilot Sport 4 to replace Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016 | 03:06 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
NOWHERE in the press release from Michelin that tyre reviews supplied in the very article they wrote does it say that the MPSS will (quoting tyre review) 'continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4...'.

However, the video from the PCA tech session has a Michelin rep directly stating 'replacement'. I'm inclined to believe info from the horse's mouth. I'm not making this distinction to say you're wrong. I'm simply saying the source of info is more reliable. If you can find more credible sourcing (which would have to be directly from some source at Michelin) then please share it because I also do not want to be putting confusing or conflicting info here.
Cheers.

Edit: I see the comment section of that article references a chat with Michelin also confirming it is a replacement. However, there is a twist as it replaces all generic SS but OE manufactured SS will be available until 2017. Can someone explain the differences between 'OE Manufacturer' and 'generic' tires in this situation? I took OE meaning something like Porsche's N rating. Since SS's aren't N rated, they will soon not be available to us. That's what I'm understanding but please correct me if that's wrong.
PS4 is replacing SS for smaller diameter wheels. I don't think it's a better or worse tire. They're similar more or less. There's a better tire coming out that will replace the SS in 2017. I take it from the statement that they're 'brothers' one tire isn't necessarily better than the other.

I'm guessing we'll get concrete info as to where the ps4 stands exactly in every criteria very soon.

Edit: Michelin is not being clear. We're having issues deciphering what's going on here. We just need to wait until until they clearly indicate what's going on.
Old 03-14-2016 | 05:08 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

So the common theme here. We are again waiting lol. I love Michelin tires but if they don't get their production sorted they are going to lose a lot of customers (not that it matters to them). I've talked to several people who have switched from pss or psc2 over to re-71r and are raving about them and prefer them. Hope Michelin steps up to create a tire to compete.
Old 03-15-2016 | 07:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Lots of confusion surrounding this. PS4 is not replacing the PSS. PSS is still the top street tire. They're saying the PS4 takes it closer to PSS levels by borrowing some of it's features and tech.

Expect a PSS2 or equivalent 1-3 years from now.

Ideally with AD08R and the RE71R out, Michelin needs to move the PS4 more upmarket towards the PSS into the max performance category and the PSS2 needs to move into the extreme performance category.
That PA tech session with Michelin rep said it was replacing SS. I think he used that exact term. Video of tech session was in PCA email last week.

Edit:
Here's the video. He says 'replacement'

http://youtu.be/f06yebhEnlg
Hmm... this is bizarre. Conflicting information out there.

I found a link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm

At the bottom of the page, SS is on top.

EDIT: Read some additional info. Sticking to what I first said. Super sports replacement is due in ~2017 apparently. PS4 seems like it is very similar in performance to SS, but will not be the top tire.
NOWHERE in the press release from Michelin that tyre reviews supplied in the very article they wrote does it say that the MPSS will (quoting tyre review) 'continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4...'.

However, the video from the PCA tech session has a Michelin rep directly stating 'replacement'. I'm inclined to believe info from the horse's mouth. I'm not making this distinction to say you're wrong. I'm simply saying the source of info is more reliable. If you can find more credible sourcing (which would have to be directly from some source at Michelin) then please share it because I also do not want to be putting confusing or conflicting info here.
Cheers.

Edit: I see the comment section of that article references a chat with Michelin also confirming it is a replacement. However, there is a twist as it replaces all generic SS but OE manufactured SS will be available until 2017. Can someone explain the differences between 'OE Manufacturer' and 'generic' tires in this situation? I took OE meaning something like Porsche's N rating. Since SS's aren't N rated, they will soon not be available to us. That's what I'm understanding but please correct me if that's wrong.
PS4 is replacing SS for smaller diameter wheels. I don't think it's a better or worse tire. They're similar more or less. There's a better tire coming out that will replace the SS in 2017.
I'm just going on what Evo reported in their last edition, that the MPS4 would *replace* the MPSS, and it has already in the smaller fitments, there was no indication in that article that there would be a replacement for the MPSS, in fact it explicitly stated that there was no mid-life update of the SS, and that
the MPS4 was that tire ...

I doubt that Evo would get this (that) wrong... I guess we will wait and see.

Its all a bit academic/moot at the moment since we cant seem to get the MPSS in either 19" or 20" 305 anyhoo ...
Old 03-15-2016 | 07:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm just going on what Evo reported in their last edition, that the MPS4 would *replace* the MPSS, and it has already in the smaller fitments, there was no indication in that article that there would be a replacement for the MPSS, in fact it explicitly stated that there was no mid-life update of the SS, and that
the MPS4 was that tire ...

I doubt that Evo would get this (that) wrong... I guess we will wait and see.

Its all a bit academic/moot at the moment since we cant seem to get the MPSS in either 19" or 20" 305 anyhoo ...
After doing some more research with Michelin, we are all on the right path. The MPS4 will replace the smaller diameter MPSS (17 and 18) in the immediate future (by late 2016). The larger MPSS (19, 20) will still be made for OE manufacturer which DOES NOT INCLUDE PORSCHE (because no N rating) until they are phased out by the MPS4 in the not too distant future (mid 2017 for most sizes and late 2017 for all sizes). To add more to the pile, they have a successor to the MPS4 in the works slated for a late 2017 release, but that's all the details he would give me on that product.

He would not tell me when production of the 305/19s would officially stop but a 'wink wink' 'elbow nudge' basically slotted that at Q3 of this year. After that the hiatus between MPSS and MPS4 is about a year for us and MPSS will remain scarce until then.
Old 03-15-2016 | 07:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

After doing some more research with Michelin, we are all on the right path. The MPS4 will replace the smaller diameter MPSS (17 and 18) in the immediate future (by late 2016). The larger MPSS (19, 20) will still be made for OE manufacturer which DOES NOT INCLUDE PORSCHE (because no N rating) until they are phased out by the MPS4 in the not too distant future (mid 2017 for most sizes and late 2017 for all sizes). To add more to the pile, they have a successor to the MPS4 in the works slated for a late 2017 release, but that's all the details he would give me on that product.

He would not tell me when production of the 305/19s would officially stop but a 'wink wink' 'elbow nudge' basically slotted that at Q3 of this year. After that the hiatus between MPSS and MPS4 is about a year for us and MPSS will remain scarce until then.
good to know
Old 03-16-2016 | 10:18 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

To satisfy my curiosity, who did you talk to at Michelin that provided this information? Was it consumer relations, or someone higher up?
Old 07-14-2016 | 10:26 PM
InquiringMind
5th Gear

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
To satisfy my curiosity, who did you talk to at Michelin that provided this information? Was it consumer relations, or someone higher up?
I'd like to drop a piece of the puzzle for you gentlemen.

Exhibit #1

Exhibit #2
Old 07-14-2016 | 10:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ fitment?
Old 07-14-2016 | 11:51 PM
InquiringMind
5th Gear

^^^ fitment?
345/25/21, Larry.
Old 07-15-2016 | 01:51 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

When and how much?
Old 07-15-2016 | 12:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by InquiringMind
345/25/21, Larry.
wow, so a larger fitment... I guess the MPSS is definitely on its way out!
Old 07-15-2016 | 04:31 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

looks very similar to MPSS, should be good in wet track as well
Old 07-15-2016 | 07:26 PM
InquiringMind
5th Gear

wow, so a larger fitment... I guess the MPSS is definitely on its way out!
There is absolutely no information, anywhere, about an "S" variant of the Pilot Sport 4 model. Very strange. Also, this tread pattern is extremely close to that of the custom Sport Cup 2 on the new Bugatti Chiron.

Additional info:
-Rated @ 300 treadwear.
-March 2016 DOT.

Bespoke Bugatti Chiron Sport Cup 2:

Old 07-16-2016 | 12:09 PM
007DT
Drifting

Ha. I was just thinking that I'd replace my tires on the RS... I'll wait until these are fully released. I love the SS so glad to hear there's new technology coming...
Old 07-16-2016 | 02:11 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

305 R18 please.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4 to replace Super Sport