Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HG Motorsports & BBI Autosport Present Carbon Revolution Carbon Fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016 | 07:01 PM
hgmotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HG Motorsports & BBI Autosport Present Carbon Revolution Carbon Fiber Wheels

HG Motorsports & BBI Autosport Present Carbon Revolution Carbon Fiber Wheels

Carbon fiber wheels are really the future of performance. Carbon fiber wheels have been made here and there, but nothing like the product that Carbon Revolution has brought to the market. And yes, Porsche fitments are on the menu.

It’s common knowledge that lightweight wheels are better. Carbon fiber has always been thought as the correct direction for racing wheel production. The question some people have always had is about strength. Carbon fiber technology has come a long way. Carbon Revolution has the formula and the process to produce wheels that are not only lighter than aluminum counterparts, but in many cases, stronger.

You will be able to acquire Carbon Revolution Porsche fitments via HG Motorsports and BBI Autosport. Furthermore, since we at HG Motorsports have a strong focus on Nissan GT-R, we will be providing wheels for these cars as well. In fact, some of the Carbon Revolution CR-9 wheel photos shown here are of a wheel for a Nissan GT-R R35.

The bolt seats and hub are made out of a very strong, yet lightweight alloy. These are separate parts from the wheel itself and not bonded together. The bolt seats use a circlip retainer on the inside of the wheels. They spin in the bores within the wheels. When tightened, they press on the wheel center from both sides to help evenly spread the load. These can also be replaced if they were to get damaged while the wheel remains intact.

Carbon fiber is stronger than many metals. Not all types of carbon are created equal. The type of carbon used for Carbon Revolution wheels is designed with strength, safety and longevity in mind. This is most definitely not the type of carbon fiber that you probably have in mind. In fact, this carbon is a lot like the type of carbon used for the chassis of an F1 car or a super exotic street car.

Some people will ask if they are carbon wrap. That is, until they take a closer look and see that it would be impossible to get this kind of look if they weren’t full carbon.

As you probably thought, Carbon Revolution wheels are not cheap. They represent the ultimate in performance, so they are for those with the desire to run with the best of the best. This is the wheel you buy when you are building the ultimate car with no expenses spared.

Detailed Photos

Top Speed Car

BBi Autosport has been working closely with Carbon Revolution as a technical partner over the past 3 years to help develop the most advanced one-piece carbon fiber for Porsche applications. During this period, BBi Autosport hard-tested the durability of these wheels under the most extreme conditions at many high speed, high horsepower racing events throughout the country with BBi's flagship 1600 horsepower Project King Kong 996 Turbo. Shortly after, BBi Autosport built a top-speed Porsche 997 GT2 racecar, equipped with Carbon Revolution CR9 wheels, reached an unofficial speed of 236mph according to GPS right behind the competing Bugatti Veyrons at the Sun Valley Road Rally last summer in Idaho.

v

Beauty Shots of the Wheel

For more information about Carbon Revolution and the CR9 carbon fiber wheel, check out HG Motorsports' blog post about Carbon Revolution wheels.
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:51 PM
suban
Instructor

Price point?
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Don't forget the Jay Leno video! A prize for those who can define how Jay fits in his helmet!

P.S. No silver GT3RS were damaged during this test. But, some pirelli tires were!
Old 03-02-2016 | 11:53 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Okay a to couple of things ...
This looks like the "GMG" car done about a year ago??? Fvck me. $h!t I could be wrong, I am just a poorly paid individual who was stupid enough to choose to become a physician. Taking care of human lives for cents!!!! Again fvck me.
Now regarding these wheels ... what are their weights? Gave the thread an overview but saw it nowhere.
What is the price point??
Compared to top quality forged aluminum wheel manufactures, these wheels save maybe two lbs. per corner and for the probable insane cost of these wheels the whole thing is stupid.
These wheels at probably 10 to 12K in price.This is stupid money.
Yes, yes I know there are guys here for whom money means nothing ... ding ding ding there are your customers Carbon Revolution.
I apologize to be negative BUT SORRY I will take a set of BBS, HRE, Finspeed or Forgeline wheels any day.
Thousands of dollars for a couple of pounds ... wow that's mighty expensive steak, and I love a big fat juicy filet with mushrooms and garlic mash potatoes.

Guys enjoy your good fortune and all the best. Buy what makes you happy.

Ranger
Old 03-03-2016 | 12:08 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh forgot to state that the video with Jay Leno was a total joke.
Again sorry but I will take a set of wheels from top forged aluminum wheel manufacturers for the money.

BTW lets see Carbon Revolution run these wheels during the 24 hrs of Daytona/N-ring or 12 hrs of Sebring. If they do it would be great. I still won't pay 10 to 12K for wheels.

Ranger
Old 03-03-2016 | 02:56 AM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 553 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
This looks like the "GMG" car done about a year ago???
That is true but the owner of the car brought it to BBi Autosport afterwards for a built engine along with many other upgrades. While quality aluminum wheels from manufacturers such as BBS would suffice for everyone, Carbon Revolution Wheels are the real deal when no expenses are spared. Recently, the Carbon Revolution was chosen to be the wheel supplier for the new 2015 Ford Shelby GT350R after rigorous testing and evaluation so they are not just another one of many aftermarket wheel companies out there. The wheels weigh approximately 15 pounds each and the retail price is in the range of $15,000.

Ford Press Release
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...er-wheels.html

Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sa-technology/

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by BBiAutosport; 03-03-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2016 | 01:25 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No centerlock application I imagine?
Old 03-03-2016 | 03:17 PM
hgmotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m5trol
No centerlock application I imagine?
There is a Centerlock option. I just didn't have one when I shot some of those photos. But I just did a quick search and found an image:

-Danny
Old 03-03-2016 | 04:24 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These wheels look great and look like a high quality product.

Do you know the expected service life of these wheels compared to
forged aluminum wheels?

Could a good tire shop mount tires on these or does it require any
special training / equipment?

The few incidents I've seen on track where people have damaged wheels
are from hitting a berm. How does the impact strength of these wheels
compare to a forged aluminum wheel when hitting something like a berm?
Old 03-03-2016 | 05:01 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

only 15lbs....i think thats really impressive especially when looked at in context of reduced unsprung rotational mass.

I get they are for the money no object build...cool!
Old 03-03-2016 | 06:21 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 297 Posts

BBS FI
19x8.5 16lbs $2k retail
19x12 19lbs $2k retail

What are the weights of the CR wheels for:
19x8.5 lbs?
19x12 lbs?
Old 03-04-2016 | 12:48 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hgmotorsports
There is a Centerlock option. I just didn't have one when I shot some of those photos. But I just did a quick search and found an image:

-Danny
In stock?
Old 03-04-2016 | 09:27 PM
hgmotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by andrew2008
These wheels look great and look like a high quality product.

Do you know the expected service life of these wheels compared to
forged aluminum wheels?

Could a good tire shop mount tires on these or does it require any
special training / equipment?

The few incidents I've seen on track where people have damaged wheels
are from hitting a berm. How does the impact strength of these wheels
compare to a forged aluminum wheel when hitting something like a berm?
These are great questions. We reached out to the people at Carbon Revolution to make sure we posted the correct information. Here is what they said:

Do you know the expected service life of these wheels compared to forged aluminum wheels?

Top quality aftermarket aluminum wheels are all tested to SAE and TÜV wheel standards to ensure they meet minimum fatigue and impact performance. Our carbon fiber wheels are tested to the same standards and achieve several times the fatigue cycles mandated by the standards. Not only is carbon fiber light and strong it has excellent fatigue properties.

Could a good tire shop mount tires on these or does it require any special training / equipment?

Our recommendation is to use high quality touchless tire machines. If one is not available in your area more basic machines can be used. As is the case with premium aluminum wheels, tire removal tools need to use protective covers as to not scratch or damage the finish of the wheel. Additionally, machines need to secure the wheel by a clamping from the hub area.

The few incidents I've seen on track where people have damaged wheels are from hitting a berm. How does the impact strength of these wheels compare to a forged aluminum wheel when hitting something like a berm?

Premium aluminum wheels are tested to SAE and TÜV standard for Radial and Lateral impact.

These test are designed to ensure a level of impact strength. In these lab test the wheels can and will be permanently deformed. The test does allow for some deformation in the wheel while still meeting the standard. Carbon Revolution products are tested to the same standards using a 30% higher load than required. In these test the carbon fiber wheels sustain no measurable deformation or damage.

Lab test:

Lab exercises are useful, but real world performance is always the true test. CR-9’s were subjected to curb strikes and pot holes during development on both road and track.

On road test:

During our development of the Ford Shelby GT350R wheel we ran many impact test on track with impressive results.

Here is a quote directly from the engineers at Ford:

“One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed – a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly-developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminish the severity of the impact – that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.”

To read the entire article go to:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...er-wheels.html

Answers to common questions can be found at http://www.carbonrev.com/faq

Hope this helps
Old 03-04-2016 | 09:55 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 553 Likes on 318 Posts

On another note, there has been a lot of forward progress made with using carbon fiber. There are some skepticism with carbon fiber but many of us trust our lives inside the latest airliners with carbon fiber fuselages.

Quick Reply: HG Motorsports & BBI Autosport Present Carbon Revolution Carbon Fiber Wheels