Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery dead, hood closed. GOT IT OPEN

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .2rs had dead battery recently then I needed a smog check. The 'secondary air system' was not active thereby failed the test and the resolve is to daily drive it for 300-500 miles before the system resets. Moral of the story is the whole electrical systems on the .2's (not sure if this applies to .1's) is sensitive to loss of power so avoid dead or disconnecting of the battery as much as possible. I was told to first connect power thru the cig lighter if you find it absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

The point I see you making is that the Car's memory stores learned parameters and disconnecting a battery erases those requiring the learned process over again. By inserting power into the cigarette lighter before disconnecting the battery you keep power applied to the ECU memory chips to retain their historical values.

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
My .2rs had dead battery recently then I needed a smog check. The 'secondary air system' was not active thereby failed the test and the resolve is to daily drive it for 300-500 miles before the system resets. Moral of the story is the whole electrical systems on the .2's (not sure if this applies to .1's) is sensitive to loss of power so avoid dead or disconnecting of the battery as much as possible.

I was told to first connect power thru the cig lighter if you find it absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery.

Truth is I come from Italian car ownership and would be hesitant to use the alternator to charge the battery as it stresses wiring and connected devices. I also would never jump start the car. But this is my first Porsche and perhaps their electricals are more robust.

Keep the battery healthy, topped up and ready when you are. My CTEK and Cig light adapter was well under $100 and I can alse use it in other cars
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Yea, I know that. ....

I''m gonna start the car up and take it for a drive to charge the battery.

Best,

Ed Lee

Quick Reply: Battery dead, hood closed. GOT IT OPEN