Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Racing Brake caliper rebuild kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you track often the best practice is to perform the routine maintenance & replacement. Please feel free to let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

I got a PM about my experience with the Racing Brake kit, and saw that this thread got bumped. I put the kit on my 997 GT3 track car in February 2015 as outlined HERE. Did 4 days at COTA. My life then got complicated, and I was not on track in my car for a few years, the car sat in the warehouse. (note: do not feel sorry for me, I was traveling, and spent a lot of days in rented cars at Spa, the Ring, Bondurant, etc…)

Got back out in the GT3 fall of 2018, 2 days at COTA then blew up the engine. Just got the car back, getting ready to go out for some track days and changed the rotors, here are some pics of the calipers after 6 total days at COTA, and 3 years sitting in a warehouse:

As found:

Wiped off:

No leaks, not problems, but not that many track days. Will report back after I hammer the car for a while….

Old 12-14-2020, 07:15 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey facelvega,
Any update on how these pistons and seals from RB are working out? Looks like my 997.2 PCCB calipers (running Jhook rotors from AP Racing and Ferodo DS1.11 pads) seals are done and I am deciding what to do rebuild wise, before next season starts. I am actually rather impressed with the stock PCCB calipers on my 997.2 Targa. They have over 60K miles on them and I have ran them on 32 track days (DE and TT). Othere then these failed dust boots, the calipers are holding up great.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2021, 11:59 AM
kinetic125
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Racing Brake piston setup on a Steel PCCB 997.1 GT3?

My engineering brain has two concerns:

1) Eliminating the ceramic piston spacer does eliminate the insulating effect of the spacer. While the stainless steel piston will transfer less heat and the vents will help, but does it completely offset the heat insulation of the ceramic spacer?

2) Since the piston is now stainless steel and the caliper is aluminum, they will expand/contract at different rates due to the heat. Can the seals make up for the difference? Is this really a concern at all?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Tom
Old 09-08-2021, 06:21 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello Porsche track racers, I think here might be a good place to share with some of you who have switched to AP brake kit.
  • Have you ever rebuilt AP calipers?
  • Are they easy to source?
  • Are their durability meets your expectation?
We recently got involved into those non-metric size seal/boot development for AP calipers upon request by McLaren owners (570 and 720S) with the following sizes.
27.0mm
41.3 mm

Rest be assured the design and tooling on those non-metric seal & boots were taken from the original calipers with our insight and comparison test with Brembo (metric) calipers before the dimensions & tolerance are finalized.
The initial release is for the seal and boot kit only with an ETA in early October.

This post simply to offer Porsche owners with an alternative choice, by no means to question AP calipers' quality or durability; as components replacement is normal and essential to keep your caliper in top shape - as suggested by AP/Essex.

Brake Caliper, Seals & Temperature

Because race brake calipers are sometimes subjected to very high and unpredictable operating temperatures, they must be examined and seals must be replaced on a regular basis to maintain efficiency and safety. Seal life is governed by time at temperature which should therefore be kept as low as possible by provision of cooling airflow. For guidance only AP Racing offer the following recommendations (temperatures measured on outside of caliper adjacent to logo): - Calipers that regularly run at up to 200°C - Re-seal every other event. - Calipers that run intermittently from 200°C to 220°C abd above - Re-seal as soon as possible. - Reduce "soak" temperatures after the car has come to rest where possible (e.g. do not leave foot on brake pedal when stationary with hot brakes) as this can cause excessive caliper temperatures.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake caliper rebuild kits