Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Analysis Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by kiku
Anyone using LiquiMoly? Also, what oil weight is recommended during winter months here in Md/Va/dc area? Thanks, trying to learn about this car....
I don't remember if LiquiMoly is Porsche approved.

For sure, nothing 5W30 is Porsche approved for a 911.

For your winter temps, use a 0W40 A40 Porsche approved oil. There are over 100 to choose from.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Thork'sGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LexVan
The oil I use is Millers full synthetic race oil. So far it has been good. Definitely will be monitoring the analysis with the first change at 3000km.
With everyone's input and great discussion, this has turned out to be a great thread!

Brent
Old 01-15-2016, 05:40 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't remember if LiquiMoly is Porsche approved. For sure, nothing 5W30 is Porsche approved for a 911. For your winter temps, use a 0W40 A40 Porsche approved oil. There are over 100 to choose from.

Yes this point is important. You can go up within reason from either number (0 or 40) from Porsche recommended Mobil 1 0W40 but should never go below either of those metrics individually (so 5W40 is ok, as is 5W50, but 5W30 is too thin because the 30 is less than 40).

The first number in an oils weight is the base oils true viscosity (i.e. The 5W in 5W50), the second number is simply reflecting the viscosity of the oil at engine temperature (210F). A 5W50 means at 210F the oil maintains viscosity as if you started with a straight SAE 50 weight oil. The difference is a 5W50 has the benefit of flowing much better than an SAE 50 at cold temps (the W in 5W stands for "winter grade"). They achieve this feat through the addition of viscosity index improvers, which help the 5W base oil maintain viscosity at high temps.

These VI additives are polymer based and break down with time/use. The strength of these additives and quality of base oil (and MOST importantly how ALL these factors perform in an actual engine operating environment) is how certain oils are better then others. Typically the major branded oils have the most sophisticated testing and blending process vs. small compound blenders that just buy base oil from the big guys and throw in an additive package.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't have any specific aversion to the Mobil 1 brand, but am curious to know why Porsche recommends Mobil 1 other than because it's just what Porsche tells us to use in our motors? There are numerous independent workshops and race teams out there that have vast experience with the Mezger and don't use Mobil 1. Does Porsche work with Mobil 1 when developing its engines? Does Mobil 1 throw a whole heap of cash to Porsche for the privilege of being the exclusive recommended engine oil? All of the above?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:59 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Likely "all of the above."

NV
Old 01-16-2016, 11:32 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Who really knows, but as I've posted before, Rockefeller was the grandfather of oil(along with the Brits' BP). Standard Oil(Exon Mobil) already had synthetic oil and gasoline in the 20's, and exchanged it with Germany's I.G. Farben.
If they were the ones who developed high octane aviation fuel and synthetic oils, I'd say it's good oil(laughs)

I also saw a stripped down jet at the airport the other day, with a Mobil oil sticker with specs on the side of the turbine.

So here's an interesting article on oil, development, and testing(author also mentions approval by US Military for service)
Also touches on the different demands, comparing aviation and automotive requirements:

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...ine-oil-review

Quick Reply: Oil Analysis Results