Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DD Advice: G wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:51 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I don't have any experience with the G-series Benzes (I don't gangsta, rap or cut hair), though to give you another option - we purchased a 2015 F15 X5 for my girlfriend that we absolutely love... We spec'd it nicely with the x-lne, full leather, big wheels, technology, weather etc options and its a very nice SUV to roll around in. Not a performance star, but not slow & certainly leaps ahead of our previous X5 in refinement.

Curious to know how your GTS test drive went as I'm considering one for me....
BMW can't touch a G wagon. At that point if OP isn't going G wagon he should go Macan GTS or Cayenne GTS. I actually wasn't too crazy about the macan turbo when I drove it. Didn't seem more worth it to me over the GTS.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tmario
I think most posters must have hired help for refueling, because only one mentioned that it is THIRSTY!

I DD a Cayenne diesel, but I have a 2002 G and like others, love the build quality, the angular looks, the uniqueness and I think it is comfortable. The negatives are the silly price for a car with no R&D for the last 15 years, the electrical gremlins and the slightly ponderous steerig.

I had a 93 Defender for a while also and the G is much more comfortable and will actually et you there today if you take it on a journey (I think the max speed in my D was 57).

But be prepared to stop for fuel often.

Mario
True, Anything with that much horse power and weight is thirsty.
However I feel the G wagon suffers from a small gas tank if anything.. The capacity is small as my Macan! Surprising for a larger vehicle... Wish they offered a larger tank.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:30 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

The comments and opinions have been immensely helpful. Love this forum!

It's really down to the Macan Turbo or G63. Only thing holding me back from buying the G63 is value tanking after remodel next year. Personally, I think it might be a 991 to 997 scenario. Newer, more comfortable, but will lose its soul. So it's a crapshoot.

Gas isn't really a big deal to me. Like I stated, I won't be driving it too much, and never over long distances. Have GTI for road trips. Plus gas will hopefully stay low for the next few years.

I find this car so polarizing. Absolutely no in betweens. Either love it or hate it. I can't get over the build, history, etc. Love unique items. Care more about the history and mechanics than the perception the item carries. The whole rap/athlete thing doesn't apply to me. All about how you carry yourself. I'm sure people roll there eyes when we pull up with our loud GT3's. My opinion: Be respectful, have fun, do what you want....
Old 12-25-2015, 05:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Me getting a G wagen because i love it would be like the guys getting a GT3 and never track it. I'd never go off road, it isn't the most comfortable or ergonomic but it's just a cool thing to have and it's capable, even if you never use that capability..

Kinda like a watch that can go X meter deep that someone love that can't dive.

Anyway, Porsches or Mercedes only for me.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2015, 06:07 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

^ Well played with the pic

Perfect example with the watch comment. Even if you don't use it for what it was intended for, that doesn't mean you can't appreciate the details behind it.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Landcruisers, G wagon and Nissan Patrol are the work horses of SUV. We used to pull each other out the mud when stuck during hunts. Had short wheelbase landcruiser for a while. Pulled some g wagons out of the dirt.
Now I have a Raptor in Orlando that gets driven on I4 and turnpike. 😞
Good thing is the 38gallon fuel tank. Wife's X5m gets same mpg but have to fill up all the time. Annoying.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
The comments and opinions have been immensely helpful. Love this forum!

It's really down to the Macan Turbo or G63. Only thing holding me back from buying the G63 is value tanking after remodel next year. Personally, I think it might be a 991 to 997 scenario.
Wow! A new G Wagon for 2017! Now that is something I would be interested in!
If you can find a pre owned G63 for a good deal, take it and enjoy it now. Squeeze two years out of it easy.
When the new G Wagon is launched, trade up for it.

That being said, the Macan Turbo is super easy to live with as a daily driver. You can hammer the chit out of it around town and use it to pick up pizza late at night without drawing attention to yourself. Might be a nice SUV to own while you wait to be the first at your local dealer for a new 2017 G Wagon.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Outdoorsman in the weekend.
Russian debt collector during work days LOL
Old 12-26-2015, 12:52 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Outdoorsman in the weekend. Russian debt collector during work days LOL
That should be the slogan for the g wagon. Lol
Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

AMG G-wagon has the right swagger.

Been loving my X5m. It's hilariously fast - first time I've been able to light up 4 tires on pavement. It's my wet weather track toy, tow vehicle, bike carrier, and daily driver. Can hit 157 on T11-T12 straight at cota in the rain....more fun to drive than a 991 GT3.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:02 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I know you're not crazy about range rover, - but I just switched from a v8 range rover sport - to the SVR version, and love it!!!! To me - its the perfect DD (assuming you need it for cold weather). Its fast - comfortable - great sounding exhaust (even has the button to open up valves) - and great seats. Can fit tons of stuff in back -- and looks killer. Test drive an SVR if you can.
I have the RR SVR as my DD and it is Awesome!!!! I absolutely love the exhaust note and it is quick for an SUV.
My wife drives a Lexus LX570 to shuttle around our kids. BUT we just picked up a G63 AMG so I'm excited to have a different "ride" feel. I like its character and uniqueness. Will give more feedback when we get it delivered.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:08 PM
drdrank
Racer

Hey dude! Merry Christmas. Long time.

Lots of responses already on here obviously.

I love the G wagen. Works awesome around town. Like a tank. The AMG is ridiculous fun. Great tower as well. Awesome.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Monaco and just spotted a G65. Seriously rare and about 265.000 euros.

Last edited by svb; 02-19-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

g-wagon is so unique and original. i love them even though i would never buy any suv.
seating position too high up for me; i like the ground.
300/500e is great car, and the build quality is very similar to g wagon. 300te estate is a classic too.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 PM
drdrank
Racer

I think I average about 9mpg towing the Porsche and about 9.1mpg on its own, so credit the aerodynamic efficiency to not have any delta there. It's awesome. Feeling the rumble of the exhausts...gitty

The rappers are upgrading to the Bentley SUV so no worries there.

I was concerned that the next-gen G will change the character. New chassis with dynamic sports suspension? That's why I'm happy with the current model

Quick Reply: DD Advice: G wagon?