Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DD Advice: G wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:17 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
I've got a 55. I'd dump all my Porsches and Maserati in a heartbeat before I'd sell this. You'd have to pry if from my cold lifeless hands.

Pony up and get the AMG, totally worth the extra$
I got completely set up. Went to look at a G550, and they had a used 2014 G63 there. Said why not, and drove it, which was so dumb. Loved that motor.

Honestly, everything about that car is ridiculous. Handles awful, loud, crazy $$ and no features, and I still want it....
Old 12-22-2015, 10:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i love the G wagon when it's parked
when its in motion, i prefer just to walk.
i went into buy one. drove it 3 blocks. i drove back and that was enough.
i am a big MBZ fan for long time too.
Same here. Agreed.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
The car has too much of the wrong image to me. Agreed on rappers, celebs, and athletes. However, in my area, you have money no object ostentatious Mainland Chinese. All of this is a tuenoff for me.

The market has been strong on them and friends that have them, love them.

Very not for me, but I could see you embracing it. You really should be asking your target audience: will the chicks dig it over a CTT/RRS SVR/etc.
Right something you buy your mistress not to actually drive yourself all the time. Like Range Rover too lumbering for me. The Greek mob image is what could work for you. That's what I like about my old 500E, I look like a Russion Debt collector :-)

Originally Posted by The Greek
I got completely set up. Went to look at a G550, and they had a used 2014 G63 there. Said why not, and drove it, which was so dumb. Loved that motor.

Honestly, everything about that car is ridiculous. Handles awful, loud, crazy $$ and no features, and I still want it....
Stick to Porsche. Or CPO E63. Hell even Jeep RT8 hellcat is better.
But get one, make sure designo interior, CPO and get it out of your system.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:41 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm going to test drive a Cayenne GTS tomorrow, but I'm going in skeptical. Like I said, I'm kind of over the new lineup of Porsches.

Think your right Peter. Just find a good deal and get it out of my system. Just blows b/c I really don't want the car for the flash. Just like the mechanics and feel behind it.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is an SUV platform required? Pre-owned Ferrari FFs are coming down in price. Also a polarizing car, but you can't deny the awesomeness of the soon to be extinct NA V12.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I'm going to test drive a Cayenne GTS tomorrow, but I'm going in skeptical. Like I said, I'm kind of over the new lineup of Porsches.

Think your right Peter. Just find a good deal and get it out of my system. Just blows b/c I really don't want the car for the flash. Just like the mechanics and feel behind it.
Buy an old 911.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I drive Cayenne and Macan. Macan is small but optioned right it's a very sporty convenient car. Looks better than a Cayenne to me as well. Picked up Macan Monday.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The Greek,

I think you have exquisite taste for even considering the G. It is certainly not for everyone, which is evident from above. But that makes it even more special. It is a strongly flavored cigar, the lucky few will appreciate it and look past its perceived shortcomings.

Of all the cars I've owned, it by far leads in "I love that car" comments from all comers.

Buy it. Lock those three differentials, and laugh your past the Cayennes, Macans, Rovers, and Cruisers.

And to quote Harry Metcalfe at EVO magazine...."You won't see many Defenders rocking about at 130mph on the autobahn..."
Old 12-23-2015, 11:41 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
The Greek,

I think you have exquisite taste for even considering the G. It is certainly not for everyone, which is evident from above. But that makes it even more special. It is a strongly flavored cigar, the lucky few will appreciate it and look past its perceived shortcomings.

Of all the cars I've owned, it by far leads in "I love that car" comments from all comers.

Buy it. Lock those three differentials, and laugh your past the Cayennes, Macans, Rovers, and Cruisers.

And to quote Harry Metcalfe at EVO magazine...."You won't see many Defenders rocking about at 130mph on the autobahn..."
Exactly. There are faster, better handling, better braking and cheaper cars than Porsche makes. So why do we all have them? Character.

Same goes for the G - character in spades, regardless of whatever gangland morons or rich soccer moms may adopt them.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:48 AM
993polartip
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love mg G , amg version. You don't see much of the here. It's a vault, solid hand built. Because its AMG the whole car is built by hand.

I've owned other SUVs but this is a truck.

My wife drives it more than me. It's sluggish, turns like crap, too heavy but the seating position, visibility and off road performance and build make up for al of it. Oh yes she's a thirsty mother too.

Got so many offers but a keeper. My little boys love it too!

A love or hate machine, I love mine!
Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Get a rover td6

Match all the Greek wives...and me
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 273 Posts

I don't have any experience with the G-series Benzes (I don't gangsta, rap or cut hair), though to give you another option - we purchased a 2015 F15 X5 for my girlfriend that we absolutely love... We spec'd it nicely with the x-lne, full leather, big wheels, technology, weather etc options and its a very nice SUV to roll around in. Not a performance star, but not slow & certainly leaps ahead of our previous X5 in refinement.

Name:  DSC02036.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  5.59 MB
Name:  DSC02048.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  5.13 MB
Curious to know how your GTS test drive went as I'm considering one for me....
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Dear Greek...You owe it to yourself.

All the personal experience on Rennlist means nothing.

Get one.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

X5M. You will be surprised. I was against buying one until I actually drove one.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a 2013 G63. Ordered it new as soon as it became available.
The updated interior was welcomed.

It has served me well with only a few hiccups along the way as to be expected with a new powertrain etc. All warranty.
It has also held it's value well which is refreshing, but I bought this for the long term so resale was not that important to me. (they age well, because they never change lol.)

I was never a big fan of them when I first noticed them in north america 2002.
They looked like an overpriced Izuzu Trooper... Alot of folks trying to state they had more money then god owned them...
I have grown to appreciate them however. They are hand built and very capable if you live in areas that require REAL 4x4. (not full-time "awd" like my previous escalade that sucked in deep snow).
Great utility, but no real "sport" regardless of the massive hp..

I love 964/993 porsches with their classic dashes. For the G wagon I too love the quirky little dash and sound the doors make when close them and lock them! It is indeed a nerdy truck for truck nerds.

Visability is excelent and I like the trunk access.
They do ride and handle like a pickup truck. The steering is numb, worst in the business.
If you take it for a test drive and are not phazed by these negitive idiosyncrasies and appreciate the utilitarian styling that of a Land Rover Defender then you are G wagon guy.

I currently keep a Range Rover state side for hauling family and track car when im down south, a little Macan on the pacific west coast for grocery getting in a big city and the G wagon for the north east wind rain and snow.

I like the range rover for the interior space and practicality. Drives like a boat...

The Macan S is super tight and is a joy to drive. Easy to park and jet around the city. (I cant help but think that a Macan Turbo would be a practical alternative to a 911 porsche buyer...) But rear space is limited if that is important to you.
When they install PDK in the Cayenne, i will most likely upgrade at that time for the extra room if anything...

The G wagon has character. Whether you are a gangster, overly rich or just a rugged outoorsmen and everything in between, It is a lifestyle vehicle.
It is at home when parked with the valet in Beverly Hills just as much as it is at home when offroad with a winch bumper.
The V8 exhaust note is fantastic, especially AMG.

To be honest, I could keep buying and driving these G wagons for life as my goto SUV. They are just classic and i am a sucker for anything classic.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 AM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most posters must have hired help for refueling, because only one mentioned that it is THIRSTY!

I DD a Cayenne diesel, but I have a 2002 G and like others, love the build quality, the angular looks, the uniqueness and I think it is comfortable. The negatives are the silly price for a car with no R&D for the last 15 years, the electrical gremlins and the slightly ponderous steerig.

I had a 93 Defender for a while also and the G is much more comfortable and will actually et you there today if you take it on a journey (I think the max speed in my D was 57).

But be prepared to stop for fuel often.

Mario

Quick Reply: DD Advice: G wagon?