Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can coolant pipes be sent out for welding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:52 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can coolant pipes be sent out for welding?

I have a local shop that is experienced in working on 997's and performing engine removal and replacement but has no experience in precision welding. Can all the parts that need to be welded be removed and sent to another shop that has expertise in performing this task and then when completed returned and installed by my local shop? Or are the parts either too big, part of the block, or impractical to separate and send?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

It's easy to separate them and send them out. The fabricator that welded mine is a good friend of mine who works with thin gauge aluminum day in and day out as a profession. He was the only one I trusted to do mine and has many shops around the midwest sending fittings to him to be welded at this point.

I think it's a pretty stand up thing for your shop to tell you that's not what they do best and suggest someone better qualified do the work on the fittings. Many shops I know would just try their best and hope the welds held up over time.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM
monk46
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to pin. If I were welding I would send to BBI, who offers welding service using their own inserts. They apparently have plenty of experience with this issue.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:36 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

I believe Sharkwerk's offers inserts as well, correct? Can either SW or BBI inserts be pinned or welded, or must inserts always be welded?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are going to that level of effort the only way to go is to weld.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
I believe Sharkwerk's offers inserts as well, correct? Can either SW or BBI inserts be pinned or welded, or must inserts always be welded?
bbi has the inserts for the coolant pipes
shark has the other two pipes, oil i recall.
they are not the same pipes
yuo need them ALL
the coolant inserts can be welded, pinned, glued whatever you like.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:29 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Thanks all.

From what I've read here, BBI are the kings of welding and testing but they have a large backlog and things take a while to get done. Accurate? That'd be a problem since my local shop wouldn't be too keen to have my car sitting around with the engine out taking up space in their shop for any length of time.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that likely not every shop which works on Porsche's has a skilled welder "on site", and thus will send out the coolant manifold for removing and then replacing the pipes. That is what my shop did, had a talented pro install the BBI inserts. The BBI inserts are aluminum, and much beefier than the stock pipes, removing the complication of welding two different metals. I asked BBI to machine down the raised hose retainer ribs just a little, to be absolutely sure they did not cut the inside of the hoses. Sharkworks also makes the replacement metal angled connectors for the OEM plastic ones.

Of course, as others have mentioned, consider replacing other "consumable" parts when the motor is out, like the fuel filter, water pump, and in my case, the RMS, which was weeping a bit, plus things like belts and perhaps some of the hoses, plugs and such.

Just gather up the parts you need, and make an appointment with a shop you interview, and go with what coolant pipe remedy you chose.

All the best....

NV
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I used a welder who was an aviation certified welder.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Thanks all.

From what I've read here, BBI are the kings of welding and testing but they have a large backlog and things take a while to get done. Accurate? That'd be a problem since my local shop wouldn't be too keen to have my car sitting around with the engine out taking up space in their shop for any length of time.
Bbi has a pretty big backlog but reach out to betim and see what turn around would be.
That said I'm sure you can find a high quality welder local that is familiar with aluminum and can pressure test them.

If you pin aftermarket fittings you'd need to epoxy them in place first.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 AM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by monk46
I'm going to pin. If I were welding I would send to BBI, who offers welding service using their own inserts. They apparently have plenty of experience with this issue.
Originally Posted by NAM VET
I think that likely not every shop which works on Porsche's has a skilled welder "on site", and thus will send out the coolant manifold for removing and then replacing the pipes. That is what my shop did, had a talented pro install the BBI inserts. The BBI inserts are aluminum, and much beefier than the stock pipes, removing the complication of welding two different metals. I asked BBI to machine down the raised hose retainer ribs just a little, to be absolutely sure they did not cut the inside of the hoses. Sharkworks also makes the replacement metal angled connectors for the OEM plastic ones.

Of course, as others have mentioned, consider replacing other "consumable" parts when the motor is out, like the fuel filter, water pump, and in my case, the RMS, which was weeping a bit, plus things like belts and perhaps some of the hoses, plugs and such.

Just gather up the parts you need, and make an appointment with a shop you interview, and go with what coolant pipe remedy you chose.

All the best....

NV

Thank you everyone for mentioning us!

Thanks all.

Bart,

We do have a backlog of work but if we plan in advance, we can certainly minimize your downtime. The biggest caveat is welding the fittings properly and preparing the surface. We use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean all the parts and developed special tools here to pressure test each set for for leaks prior to shipping.

Here are some pictures of the entire process below. Please contact us at Jerry@BBiAutosport.com or Sales@BBiAutosport.com for all questions about the process and scheduling!

Removing the engine

(Click on images for higher resolution)

Disassembling the top end

Removing the factory fittings that are held together with adhesive

Time to weld on replacement BBi Autosport billet fittings

Finished Product:

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Quick Reply: Can coolant pipes be sent out for welding?