Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3?

I need to replace the front shocks on my 997.1 GT3. It appears the inner bushings are worn and the shocks have gotten very noisy. One option is simply to replace with new OEM shocks. Another option (more expensive) is to upgrade to a different setup altogether and based on the favorable things I've read here, I'm considering the Tractive DDA system from DSC Sport: http://www.dscsport.com/damper-products.html.

One reason I'm considering the DDA Tractive system is that I've been using the DSC module (http://www.dscsport.com/plug-play-dsc-modules.html) with the OEM suspension and I've been favorably impressed by the results. For the money, it's a great bang for the buck. The Tractive DDA uses the same DSC module, but the entire system with new coilovers is a big step up in price, and the question comes down to cost/benefit. I've already contacted DSC Sport about it and have price quotes.

So, here are my questions for those of you GT3 owners who have done this upgrade:

1. If you upgraded from OEM directly to Tractive DDA, what differences do you see on both street and track?
2. If you upgraded from OEM + DSC, what differences do you see with respect to that setup?

I should mention the rest of my suspension is full monoball, aftermarket toe links, drop links, etc., etc. The car is 75% track, 25% street.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest/Easiest option is replace with OEM PASM Shocks

The advantage of the DDA setup is in the preloaded tuning maps and higher quality damper. TPC has already done the work of Tuning the system for the GT3. The system can be further refined via PC to adapt to your driving style or suspension setup preferences.

If you buy better 2/3/4 way dampers you will need to experiment to find ideal tuning setup or spend $$ on race shop and pro driver to tune them.

Tom @ TPC is your best reference. Hope others who've done the swap will chime in as well. I know friends who've done the switch on theviper and been very impressed at the improvements to both street and track.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Curious as well, there's a set sitting at the shop off a pro race team car that I've been debating trying.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:53 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

to add 1 more variable, id be curious if anyone switched from say JRZ/Ohlin/MCS to this setup and their input on that switch
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My progression through suspension upgrades has been

OEM PASM shocks with RSS LCS's, tie rods etc.

Then installed Bilstein Clubsport Shocks, as mentioned above even though these only have two settings (bump and rebound) finding the correct setup for road trips versus individual tracks was hit and miss

Most recently added Tractive DDA shocks and DSC module.

For a car which is like the original poster, 75% track 25% road this to me has been a bit of a unicorn solution

The ability to run 3 maps and then tweak each corner based on recorded track data has allowed a far better setup solution than I thought otherwise possible.

The software is simple to understand and play with allowing you an easy way to fine tune a setup but still have 1 or 2 known solutions that can be easily reverted to from the driver's seat.

Can't readily do that with many other systems

The willingness of Tom, Mike and the team to work with you is also exemplary

Money well spent in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very cool... Will be working with them on the 991-3 implementation.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally a thread on this!

been wanting to pull the trigger on the Tractive's, but was waiting for actual user feedback.

i've been very happy with OE shocks + the DSC, as i've posted elsewhere.

my question is, if my car is 90% street and only 10% track, is it worth it to do the DDA as na upgrade?

we have bumpy roads where i live and the OE + DSC option really improved the car when pressing on over such roads.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
to add 1 more variable, id be curious if anyone switched from say JRZ/Ohlin/MCS to this setup and their input on that switch
Here's a brief report from a DSC/Tractive user who switched from a set of 4-ways. This user was very kind and took the effort to share his Motec data!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...isualized.html
Old 11-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951
1. If you upgraded from OEM directly to Tractive DDA, what differences do you see on both street and track?
This can be done but not recommended because Tractive DDA has much wider damping range than OEM PASM/Bilstein Damptronic given around the same electronic command range. The commands from the controller has to be appropriate to match the damper's range ,and the damper output for a given command. The somewhat "fixed" commands from the OEM PASM module will make Normal mode way too soft, and Sport mode way too stiff. Here's an example, during the transition from Bilstein Damptronic to Tractive DDA on my car, I drove on the Tractive DDA for one day on street with the DSC mapped for OEM/Bilstein, the dynamic changes while driving was in a VERY exaggerated matter! It was a fun experiment but not recommended for actual use.

2. If you upgraded from OEM + DSC, what differences do you see with respect to that setup?
Going from Bilstein Damptronic to Tractive DDA with the correct DSC mapping makes the car behave even more composed than what I thought was already seamless before. The car takes the bumps/curbing better, the overall vehicle stability and grip is increased. I also find that the chassis now produces more and crisper feedback to the driver. On street the ride compliance is very close to the new BMW i8(which I am very happy with), with the biggest distinguishing factor being how the bump energy is distributed to the chassis relative to the feel by the driver. But ever since I have installed a bolt-on roll bar that has a built-in 1.75" tubular rear shock tower the car feels very much like a monocoque with bell-shaped soft springs(even though I am running motorsport type narrow linear-rate springs) over bump; extremely well-damped, refined, and stable, yet offer excellent feedback that one would expect from a lively sports car. On track, at load, the 330/616 springs works like 700/900 springs, the chassis has very little sway, but unlike having overly stiff sway bars that unbalances the car, the outside dampers support the chassis only when there's relative load. Quite amazing! I know its just a bunch of words from a guy who sells these products so for what its worth, in my position I could have installed any brand coilover but I choose Tractive because I firmly believe in their engineering and results, and that the pairing with DSC offer something that is truly special and effective solution to bridging road compliance to track performance with no compromise. It has elevated my .1 GT3's character to the point that if someone offered me an even trade for a 991 GT3 I'd decline.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

A bit OT, but how long did the stock setup last? How many miles on the car, and how many track days approximately?

We have some "Higher mileage" GT's here and would be curious to see the "hardiness" of the components.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Going from Bilstein Damptronic to Tractive DDA with the correct DSC mapping makes the car behave even more composed than what I thought was already seamless before.
I want to clarify one thing. I already have the DSC module for the OEM shocks. Can I just upgrade the module's software for the Tractive DDA system or do I have to buy an all new module?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
A bit OT, but how long did the stock setup last? How many miles on the car, and how many track days approximately?

We have some "Higher mileage" GT's here and would be curious to see the "hardiness" of the components.

Cheers,

Mike
I have 53,000 miles and about 70 track days on my car. As I said earlier, the shocks are getting noisy now. A while back one of the OEM strut mounts went bad and got noisy. I replaced the strut mounts with Tarett monoball units. All the components with rubber bushings have been replaced with monoball/solid bushings. I found the aging and breakdown of the rubber would cause suspension alignment creep that was very noticeable after just 2 or 3 track days. Now things are rock solid and everyone that drives my car says it's the most "planted" GT3 they have driven.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

I want to clarify one thing. I already have the DSC module for the OEM shocks. Can I just upgrade the module's software for the Tractive DDA system or do I have to buy an all new module?
If you upgrade from OEM/Bilstein shocks to Tractive DDA shocks you'll need to change the DSC module's software. You don't need to buy another DSC module.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to replace the front shocks on my 997.1 GT3. It appears the inner bushings are worn and the shocks have gotten very noisy.
I have 53,000 miles and about 70 track days on my car.
I recently installed a DSC box on a track car with stock shocks. How many of your 70 track days included the DSC box? I'm curious because stock GT3 shocks have traditionally had good longevity; given that the stock shocks were not designed to be controlled as dynamically or at the damping rate (high "stiffness" levels) used by the DSC box, how likely is it that the DSC box contributed to the demise of the stock struts?

Not bashing the product, just asking an honest question; Tractives are obviously better, but not inexpensive, so I was planning to use the stock shocks for a while.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

DDA/DSC is the way of the future when it comes to suspension upgrades and tuning. I have an extensive amount of unbiased information that I can share with anyone whom sends me a PM so that we can discuss your individual case.
CheeRS,

MJ

Quick Reply: Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3?