Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
DDA/DSC is the way of the future when it comes to suspension upgrades and tuning. I have an extensive amount of unbiased information that I can share with anyone whom sends me a PM so that we can discuss your individual case.
CheeRS,

MJ
Thank you for your offer to share your experience. I agree with you regarding the future of suspension control and tuning; here is my post from a companion thread:

Originally Posted by CRex
I would probably regard this as a "gen 1 product" based on only G-force, throttle and brake inputs; wheel-by-wheel motion control is probably not too far away.
Digital electronic suspension control is the future, and Mike and TPC are leading the way. They already have wheel-by-wheel velocity control, it is a matter of sensors - they come stock on the 991 GT3 and Mike is investigating how to incorporate on previous models.

One of the next major advances I expect is adding 2+ way functionality with independent compression and rebound damping. The downside is that I think this requires the nuisance of an external reservoir until someone designs independently controlled variable bi-directional valving. Get cracking, Tractive! ;-)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,050 Likes on 575 Posts

I just took delivery of my Viper ACR and it came with the Tractive as an add-on from Viper Exchange. On the viper the tractive dsc box has multiple map settings even accounting for custom maps that you can load (aero dependent with speed tables for dynamic dampening) in 30 seconds. I'm really impressed with the car so far but need to get a windows PC myself to fully exploit (right now my shop has to do the map swaps since I am mac only) - on the road in "street mode" the car doesn't wobble or crash, just soaks up bumps like an SUV would I guess.

In track button engage mode you can feel it get more resistant to body roll, dive and squat. Pretty rad to retain that PASM type function with the tractive. I'll report back after my track day wednesday to see how it all changes live on track.

To me it's a small price to pay for extracting the full potential of your car on the race track.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 928 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
I'm curious because stock GT3 shocks have traditionally had good longevity; given that the stock shocks were not designed to be controlled as dynamically or at the damping rate (high "stiffness" levels) used by the DSC box, how likely is it that the DSC box contributed to the demise of the stock struts?
Good question. As data points, all of the GT3 inverted front strut issues I have seen first hand and heard of from reputable sources are either one of the following:

1) Failure of strut bearings, which doesn't affect shock damping in itself but causes knocking sound as the inner tube rocks side to side within the outter tube since the failed strut bearing(s) cannot provide support to center the inner tube within the outter tube. Below is a cutaway image showing the tube bearings-

On many inverted struts the bearings are serviceable by removing the bottom nut to separate the inner tube, and pending the availability of the bearings of course, but on the OEM 997 GT3 PASM struts the bottoms are sealed by potting. See image below, left is 996 GT3, right is 997 GT3 PASM. And good luck finding OEM strut bearings...

2) Failure of the wiring , which leads to open circuit. Below image shows an example of Ford GT500 Bilstein inverted strut.

Both failure type 1 and type 2 are function of general usage and/or defective components, not from electronic commands. I have yet to see an internal valving failure, which is not to say that it couldn't happen.

Tractives are obviously better, but not inexpensive, so I was planning to use the stock shocks for a while.
The build quality of Tractive inverted struts are superior to mass produced OEM counterpart. Strut bearing failure on Tractives is far less likely. On that note, OEM strut bearing failure occur on 997 PASM inverted struts even without DSC, can occur on low mileage OEM struts from defective bearing, and for that matter on none-electronic inverted struts such as on 996 GT3 and other vehicles with none-electronic inverted struts.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 11-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I just took delivery of my Viper ACR and it came with the Tractive as an add-on from Viper Exchange. On the viper the tractive dsc box has multiple map settings even accounting for custom maps that you can load (aero dependent with speed tables for dynamic dampening) in 30 seconds. I'm really impressed with the car so far but need to get a windows PC myself to fully exploit (right now my shop has to do the map swaps since I am mac only) - on the road in "street mode" the car doesn't wobble or crash, just soaks up bumps like an SUV would I guess.

In track button engage mode you can feel it get more resistant to body roll, dive and squat. Pretty rad to retain that PASM type function with the tractive. I'll report back after my track day wednesday to see how it all changes live on track.

To me it's a small price to pay for extracting the full potential of your car on the race track.
No you dont! you can run the PC app on a Mac inside a PC VM...

PM me for more details... or go check the official DSC thread for my posting
Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently installed a DSC box on a track car with stock shocks. How many of your 70 track days included the DSC box? I'm curious because stock GT3 shocks have traditionally had good longevity; given that the stock shocks were not designed to be controlled as dynamically or at the damping rate (high "stiffness" levels) used by the DSC box, how likely is it that the DSC box contributed to the demise of the stock struts?

Not bashing the product, just asking an honest question; Tractives are obviously better, but not inexpensive, so I was planning to use the stock shocks for a while.
About 20 of the 70 track days are with the DSC module. However, the OEM shocks were already starting to go bad before the installation of the module. The rate of deterioration increased after the installation, but I can't honestly say the DSC module made it any worse than it would have been on its own.

The rest of my suspension is full monoballs with no more rubber bushings anywhere. That has to transmit quite a bit of road impacts for the shocks to cope with.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
...The rest of my suspension is full monoballs with no more rubber bushings anywhere. That has to transmit quite a bit of road impacts for the shocks to cope with.
Bingo!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

My FAL is on its way out - seriously thinking about replacing the OEM PASM+FAL shocks with Tractive DDA's

Quick Reply: Who has full Tractive DDA suspension on their GT3?