Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 GT3 RS Carbon Repair Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default .1 GT3 RS Carbon Repair Recommendations

Hello Mates! A little over a year ago I purchased an 2007 RS that has the interior carbon package. The carbon strips that are on the dash by the windshield vents where the windshield meets the dash have lifted; it was like that when I bought it. I'm told by many that due to the hot climate where I live (Miami) its a common occurrence; basically the glue used at the factory can handle the heat. On a hot day it actually lays flat as the sun seems to soften the carbon. Bottom line I can't stand the way it is and want to fix it.

I called the dealer a few months back and if I wanted to replace it I would need to replace the back (closest to the windshield) part which is leather and the carbon. I think it was close to 3k! I thought of perhaps removing that section and taking it to an interior shop that could heat up the carbon and glue it down with a stronger compound. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

pull the parts and ship them to MA Carbon.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested as well. My 997.1 RS with carbon package has same issue, and are 'wavy' in appearance. If they were glued properly from the factory with the correct adhesive I doubt we would see this problem. Tried to get this replaced while under CPO and was denied as it was deemed "cosmetic", and basically was told the same story, remove the back part of the dash. Incredibly disappointing knowing my car had 6000 miles on the odometer while under CPO when I asked to have the problem corrected. It still bothers me every time I drive the car so hoping someone can chime in.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same issue with my '08 .1, interested in any solution people have found.

What does MA Carbon do to address a fix?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

http://www.macarbon.com/index.php?op...mid=95&lang=en

they do very nice carbon work. but see that link
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thanks I'm going to call them tomorrow and get some details. Perhaps we can get a group rate! My car was sold cpo with this issue. I need to get it fixed once and for all.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the link.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

+1 for MAcarbon, John and his team do a great job and have great products. Replaced my CF center console that cracks and peals if it is a factory P part.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

I've not worked with these guys directly, but they offer an extensive collection of CF trip pieces...

http://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/e...cts/065G3-0001
Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

So I called MACarbon and spoke to someone named Lane; super nice guy but in short he can't help. He said he must have had at least 300 inquires on this issue and everything he has tried will not keep it down permanently. He even inserted his own carbon piece that was a little thicker less likely to warp but after a few months it too lifted. He said he's used the strongest compounds out there but over time nothing seems to hold it down.

So we discussed options:

1) Replacing the defrost panels. Here there are three options a) plastic $500 (both sides as per Chamption Porsche), b) all leather $1200 c) carbon insert 2250!.

2) Removing just the carbon Strip and replacing it with leather or alcantara.

3) leaving it as is.

Going back to carbon just doesn't make any sense since it will for sure happen again. Going plastic is not going to look right considering I have the leather dash and leaving it alone is not an option.

So for me its either pony up the 1200 plus install and go leather option which will likely look the best or keep the panel and just remove the carbon and replacing it with either a leather strip or alcantara. Alcantar would look good considering its on the doors, wheel and seats; but it was never an option and thus not original.

I think I'm going to at least try to glue it down which probably an exercise in futility and if it doesn't work bite the bullet and go leather. I'll obviously keep the original in storage. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:27 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Exclusive option can make you nicely covered leather panels with any color stitching to match your cars interior. Quality is top notch, the leather grain matches oem, and the stitching is the same length and spacing as oem. I am super super picky about aftermarket work and tried 3 different places, 1 overseas in Germany as well, for my interior project and can tell you exclusive was the best match and looks oem. I have pretty much replaced anything plastic and then some in my interior so if you want more pics of stuff let me know
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

I had not idea you could do exclusive after the fact. I don't think I would need exclusive if I just when with replacing the panels with leather. If I cant get it glued down then I've decided to order the panels in leather and call it a day.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had same issue with the CF defroster trim on my 07 997.1TT in Hawaii- CF was warped when i bought the car with 2 yr CPO few yrs ago- They had been already been replaced twice under new car warranty by orig owner. I tried everything to flatten the CF & glue it down - lasted a few weeks then warped up-
i replaced defroster trim with stock stone grey leather defroster trim pieces- stitching & leather matches rest of dash- bought at sunset porsche in oregon- Very easy DIY-
Dealer replaced my carbon steering wheel under CPO after i bought the car- it was delaminating on back of wheel in one spot when i bought car- they also fixed CF cup holder trim which was also coming up a bit -

Last edited by bgrpph; 10-07-2015 at 10:41 PM. Reason: correct
Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
I had not idea you could do exclusive after the fact. I don't think I would need exclusive if I just when with replacing the panels with leather. If I cant get it glued down then I've decided to order the panels in leather and call it a day.
Not Porsche exclusive. Exclusive option as in www.exclusiveoption.com
Old 10-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leather, alcantara and carbon are all available on eday, unfortunately I went carbon and have the same curled/wavy trim now... looks really bad. Did think about drilling and using some sort of fitting (screw or rivet) to hold the curled ends down but doesnt fix the wavyness down the length of the trim.

I will either fit my old plastic trims or replace the carbon for leather or Alcantara when I can be bothered.

The joys of warm weather and the sun

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 RS Carbon Repair Recommendations