Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT4 does get a PDK after all... In the "Clubsport" version.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:43 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts
Default The GT4 does get a PDK after all... In the "Clubsport" version.

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-10-06/...sport-race-car

Not street-legal, only available to order Stateside from PMNA...
Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

great!
now where do i get one?!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Any word on the $$... Or more specifically how much more do I have to bring to the table after I sell my race car for this!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

To me this hilarious and tragic at the same time.

This is the very first part from the 991GT3 that will be race proven....not the motor, etc. UG...what's wrong with the GT3 9A1 - me thinks it's the elephant in the room. No one is talking about the volume of track failures that have happened already from fires to completely seized motors (well at least what I've seen with my own eyes so far) It's been nearly...how many years now...at least 4 and nothing on the track except for some brave privateers. There are some dynamics at play that I don't understand.

The bantering of a bord person in a Chicago bar...

Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I'm at the point of sitting out the 991GT3 and spending my FCF on another air cool project :-)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm at the point of sitting out the 991GT3 and spending my FCF on another air cool project :-)
+1

Kind of sad that you can't get one as a ready-made track car and that you _have_ race in the series...
Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

This is the very first part from the 991GT3 that will be race proven....not the motor, etc. UG...what's wrong with the GT3 9A1 - me thinks it's the elephant in the room. No one is talking about the volume of track failures that have happened already from fires to completely seized motors (well at least what I've seen with my own eyes so far) It's been nearly...how many years now...at least 4 and nothing on the track except for some brave privateers. There are some dynamics at play that I don't understand.

Yes. That's the issue you're going to have when you try to turn a production engine into a race engine.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Yes. That's the issue you're going to have when you try to turn a production engine into a race engine.
The Mezger was fully race proven before it hit any road cars?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shake - Was it malfuntion of the motor? What other failures?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
Shake - Was it malfuntion of the motor? What other failures?
Out of respect for the owners, since Porsche obvious does not want people talking about it, I can't share any details. The only reason I know is because I happen to be there when it happens.

The road going Mezger had a lot more "silly" issues that led to engine replacements, in all fairness.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
+1
Kind of sad that you can't get one as a ready-made track car and that you _have_ race in the series...
The more I think about it the more I think I'd get more personal enjoyment out of building something in the spirit of the historical porsche race cars for the street. $ for $ the 991GT3 just isn't exciting to me. GT4 is very interesting however!

The road going Mezger had a lot more "silly" issues that led to engine replacements, in all fairness.
This is an interesting point. The fundamentals of the Mezger design go way back with the split case design, dry sump, etc. The newer models are more closely related to the GT1 engine design.

Most of the "quirks" in the later Mezger engines are well known, and related to water cooling pipes and cam timing adjustments. I'm going to assume that had the platform continued these 'quirks' would have been iterated out as failure components. The cup car models of these engines that don't have some of these complications (cam timing for example) have shown to be quite reliable.

And to answer the above question, the "mezger" engine that is closest to the later street and track GT3 were raced first in the GT1.

That all said, the 9A1 is a necessary evolution. Talking to an engine builder that has experience ripping these apart and building/rebuilding them, he appreciates the engineering of the 9A1, it is a LOT simpler, less parts, faster to build, more elegant design. The turbo engines he's built have made very big reliable power. The Mezger is a lot more complicated, maybe "over engineered" and for him, the 996 and 997.1 are the best of the bunch, very robust, reliable platforms. Unfortunately he has not yet torn into a 991GT3 block yet...

If porsche decides to stick with the 9A1, it will get great, but we all know how porsche engineers, slow, steady refinement and iteration. It will take time.

Last edited by Spyerx; 10-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,811 Likes on 2,381 Posts

don't worry
Germans are slow learners
I'm
confident that in 30 years 9A1 will prove to be reliable.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The more I think about it the more I think I'd get more personal enjoyment out of building something in the spirit of the historical porsche race cars for the street. $ for $ the 991GT3 just isn't exciting to me. GT4 is very interesting however!

Completely with you... Lost count how many GT3s I've owned but I'll tell you straight up the 991 isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong it's super fast, technically blah blah but just doesn't involve enough of my body, mind and soul Like skynet making me look fast instead of driving a fast car ****ty like I do GT4 is interesting however it's still got rear struts, boring engine etc... and not got the magic of a mid engine NSX or Lotus....
Old 10-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Any word on the $$... Or more specifically how much more do I have to bring to the table after I sell my race car for this!
Number floating around at the moment is $120k for car +$20k for spare pkg.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

It'll be way more than that, I'm saying more like $175k landed and you will certainly have to commit to run the series.

Quick Reply: The GT4 does get a PDK after all... In the "Clubsport" version.