Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default Monoball mounts

Apologies for the stupid question.

997 GT3 already runs monoball front mounts. Are our rear monoball also
?

I've got a set of these, what look to be 996 rear monoball mounts that I'm going to sell if I already have them one the car.

I've also got a set of fronts. Was thinking of listing them with the 996 guys.

Thanks in advance for answering my newb question.
Attachment 1225251

Attachment 1225252

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 12-25-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts

ok, listed the fronts for sale and keeping the rears for when a new suspension is installed.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The fronts are monoball, but the rears are a multipiece kluged-together assembly of cast aluminum and rubber. Mine were squeaking something awful until I replaced them with Tarett parts. My front OEM monoballs recently wore out as well, and as you pictured above, they look like they would be rebuildable, but they are not. This led me back to Tarett for some complete front replacement monoball plates, which are very nice, and got rid of all the noise associated with my worn out OEM monoballs.

The round parts above with the 996 part numbers look to me like cup parts, and would probably work really well to replace the rear OEM plates which will eventually start squeaking (assuming you have the step-down spacers to fit the 14mm shock threaded section). If those fronts are still good, I would keep them as spares because that is a wear item...or just replace with Tarett for everything. This way, when the monoball wears out, you can replace only the individual part, and not the entire plate.

Last edited by Protocav; 10-05-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Great info Proto... surprised your fronts had worn out so quickly...
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Apologies for the stupid question.

997 GT3 already runs monoball front mounts. Are our rear monoball also
?

I've got a set of these, what look to be 996 rear monoball mounts that I'm going to sell if I already have them one the car.

I've also got a set of fronts. Was thinking of listing them with the 996 guys.

Thanks in advance for answering my newb question.

The circular top plates shown in your first photo are indeed 996/997 GT3 Cup monoball top plates. 996/997 GT3 street cars don't have monoball rear top plates from the factory. The street cars have half aluminum/half rubber top mounts. In post #66 of this thread you'll see the detailed photos and dissection of the OEM 997-series street car rear top(same OEM top mount is used on Carrera/Turbo/GT3/RS)-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-07-gt3-5.html

The 996/997 Cup monoball rear top plates cannot(well, should not) be used with PASM or Damptronic shocks, or for that matter any other aftermarket shock that's designed to mate with OEM top mount because of the offset on the Cup monoball top plate is "below the plate" that'll lose around 20mm of the shock's usable stroke. The offset is shown in the photos of post #68 in the above thread.

The Cup monoball offset plates are intended for use with much the shorter Cup rear shocks with Cup rear uprights. Majority of the aftermarket rear top plates are offset "above the plate" to maximize usable stroke for springs that are softer than say 1000-lbs.

If those who are looking to convert their 997 GT3/2 street car rear top mount to monoball using OEM PASM or Damptronic rear shocks TPC Racing makes an articulating monoball conversion kit.
http://www.tpcracing.com/997-gt2-rear-top-kit.html

In your second photo with the hexagon shaped front plates, the #996 plates will fit 996/986 car. The pattern of the studs is a few millimeters different than on #997 plates. You could take the #996 plate and put it on a 997/987 car but will have to take a die grinder to the strut tower to grind a few milometers off the slots- can be done but not recommended.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Great info Proto... surprised your fronts had worn out so quickly...
36K miles already, and a lot of pounding...on the car, I mean.

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The 996/997 Cup monoball rear top plates cannot(well, should not) be used with PASM or Damptronic shocks, or for that matter any other aftermarket shock that's designed to mate with OEM top mount because of the offset on the Cup monoball top plate is "below the plate" that'll lose around 20mm of the shock's usable stroke. The offset is shown in the photos of post #68 in the above thread.

If those who are looking to convert their 997 GT3/2 street car rear top mount to monoball using OEM PASM or Damptronic rear shocks TPC Racing makes an articulating monoball conversion kit.
http://www.tpcracing.com/997-gt2-rear-top-kit.html
Tom,
this is an excellent point, and I was concerned about this as well. Tarett handles this with the spacers that they use within the monoballs. The rear lower spacers are actually counterbored to allow the shock rod to extend further up, and retain all of the original shock travel.

Since you guys thought about this as well, I definitely see the TPC package as a nice solution. I did swift springs and custom upper hats on my .2 before you came out with your kit, but oh well...

Cheers
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
Tom,
this is an excellent point, and I was concerned about this as well. Tarett handles this with the spacers that they use within the monoballs. The rear lower spacers are actually counterbored to allow the shock rod to extend further up, and retain all of the original shock travel.

Since you guys thought about this as well, I definitely see the TPC package as a nice solution. I did swift springs and custom upper hats on my .2 before you came out with your kit, but oh well...

Cheers
We have tried the counterbored spacer method for a few years and it works fine as a way to convert OEM conical rear springs to linear-rate straight springs. Unfortunately with the spacer mated to the top plate it doesn't allow for articulation of the monoball as the suspension travels in an arch manner so it "bends" the spring and side loads the shocks a little more than we like, so ended up making the articulating rear mount kit.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

point me to your fs post, i have a few things to say

Quick Reply: Monoball mounts