Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My first 997 GT3 - 18" Wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes these sizes work perfectly with 18" rims. Note rear rims are not 12" wide on my track set in 18"

295.35.18 Note that rear profile is 35
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Chris in Japan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Luke

Congratulations on the GT3 purchase. I am sure you will love the car.
Would be great to see another Gaijin driven GT3 at track events. PM me if interested in finding out about events.

As for 18" offsets not sure as I run 19's. I would be wary of straying to far from stock tire widths though.

Be interested to see how you like the AD08r's , I am thinking of switching to those once my RS3's are dead.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 10-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Are you guys in Tokyo metro area? Need to meet up next time I'm in Japan. I'm there a few weeks a month visit family. Any leads on track car rentals would rule. Non Japanese speaker tho..... So tempted to buy 911 and keep at inlaws
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Chris in Japan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Are you guys in Tokyo metro area? Need to meet up next time I'm in Japan. I'm there a few weeks a month visit family. Any leads on track car rentals would rule. Non Japanese speaker tho..... So tempted to buy 911 and keep at inlaws
Hi Spyerx,

I am in Nagano a couple hours out of Tokyo. Would be great to meet up some time.
Will ask around about track rentals for you. I am also a non japanese speaker, luckily my wife is japanese.

You should definitely buy a 911 to keep in Japan. Quite a few tracks and very accessible.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Luke Huxham
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris in Japan
Hi Luke

Congratulations on the GT3 purchase. I am sure you will love the car.
Would be great to see another Gaijin driven GT3 at track events. PM me if interested in finding out about events.

As for 18" offsets not sure as I run 19's. I would be wary of straying to far from stock tire widths though.

Be interested to see how you like the AD08r's , I am thinking of switching to those once my RS3's are dead.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris, one thing I was worried about when joining this forum is a lot of guys just sort of stick to what has been done before and don't venture to far from it, thought I was going to cop a bit of flack for it but everyone has been helpful. Every Japanese person I know that does track work runs 18's even 11" but I asked on here just to get varying opinions. As suspected by a couple others in here a 295 / 235 setup should be fine and with the the chosen tyres will offer more grip over the standard setup despite being a smaller width tyre.

As far as AD08r's are concerned they will leave those RS3's dead in the water. My job is film director here in Japan and for a lot of car companies and OEM manufactures so I have worked closely with Yokohama and always doing projects with *** Taniguchi. I wouldn't say I'm biased, these tyres are just that damn good especially after a couple of hard laps, they just keep you stuck to the road and don't grease up like a lot of other tyres do. Also in the rain, outstanding.

You might of actually seen one of my films I made last year, I directed the Hakone turnpike film for Motorhead.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Luke Huxham
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm in Tokyo, I know of guys that can rent you drift cars and also some people that can potentially rent you some Japanese cars to cruise around famous Japanese mountain roads such as Hakone etc...

Problem with buying a 911 is there hugely inflated prices right now, I would of saved close to $15,000 USD if i had bought one like 5-6 months ago they're are just stupidly expensive some of them. If that does not bother you, I have some of the best contacts in Japan for finding a Porsche so please just let me know. My friend who helped me with the purchase of my new GT3 actually owns two 962C lemans car, one has number plates to drive on the street.

Next time you're coming over drop me a message.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Luke Huxham
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Yes these sizes work perfectly with 18" rims. Note rear rims are not 12" wide on my track set in 18"

295.35.18 Note that rear profile is 35
35 with Neova AD08's?

I don't see that profile in their list.
http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan..._sizelist.html

Thats why I was going to run a 255/35 instead of a 235/40 to match the 35 front with a 295/30 rear to keep it down to a 5mm difference.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Chris in Japan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luke Huxham
Thanks Chris, one thing I was worried about when joining this forum is a lot of guys just sort of stick to what has been done before and don't venture to far from it, thought I was going to cop a bit of flack for it but everyone has been helpful. Every Japanese person I know that does track work runs 18's even 11" but I asked on here just to get varying opinions. As suspected by a couple others in here a 295 / 235 setup should be fine and with the the chosen tyres will offer more grip over the standard setup despite being a smaller width tyre.

As far as AD08r's are concerned they will leave those RS3's dead in the water. My job is film director here in Japan and for a lot of car companies and OEM manufactures so I have worked closely with Yokohama and always doing projects with *** Taniguchi. I wouldn't say I'm biased, these tyres are just that damn good especially after a couple of hard laps, they just keep you stuck to the road and don't grease up like a lot of other tyres do. Also in the rain, outstanding.

You might of actually seen one of my films I made last year, I directed the Hakone turnpike film for Motorhead.

Very cool film. I am envious of your job!

I will definitely try the AD08r's next.

This forum is a great resource of info for these cars. I have only had mine 5 months so am still learning the nuances and playing with the setup. I can tell you from experience though that running 305 rear and 235 front with a cup lip and rear wing at full attack I have a loose rear (which I like) at faster tracks like Fuji (even Sodeguara) This is with my sway bars both at middle setting. 295 rear and 235 front should work well too. 295 rear and 255 front may require a bigger front bar, but not sure. Try it and see what happens!

I also agree with you that 18's are better, but I got a good deal on the Advan RZ-DF's in 19 and they are super light.

Cheers

Quick Reply: My first 997 GT3 - 18" Wheel questions