Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AP rotor/Ferodo pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP rotor/Ferodo pads

Clark from Apex is selling the AP rotors and Ferodo pads. Better price point than PFC and Girodisc combo. Some of the 991 GT3 owners are running the combo and like it. Any 7.1/7.2 GT3 drivers using this combo? I currently use 380 Giro fronts and OEM turbo rear PCCB conversion with PFC08's and Nitto NT01's. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

I ran both AP and PFC discs on my 7.1RS. Both are great. The slightly thinner PFC "race disc" face does shift bias ever so slightly rearward, as you use a smaller size pad (than stock), but you really have to be in tune with the car to feel it. AP rotors allow for more pad options, via stock pad shape.

If you run PFC, stick with the 34mm thick "race" disc, instead of the 32mm disc. Clarke sells them both, and the cost is pretty much the same. I preferred the 34mm PFC disc, I'd rather change pads more often than rotors.

Also, I ran .2 GT3/RS stock rear rotors, they are made with same Cup disc technology, and I never had to replace them in 4 years of track work (and that's 20+ days/year at quick pace)....with rear brake ducts, and Nitto tires. Ask those who know and they will tell you those discs are a complete world of difference from the stock turbo rears. The initial cost is less than a 2-piece setup, and the savings was worth it to me, since they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. So it's a toss-up, between stock .2 and 2-piece aftermarket, IMO. Both work great, with cooling ducts.

All that said, AP/Essex is coming out with a new brake package for the 987, and that's what I'll likely try if I can't get the stock package to work with all the cooling I've thrown at it.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd rather use AP stuff than Girodisc
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

MVEZ will the stock .2 3/RS rear rotors fit a .1 PCCB car? I have 20+ days on my turbo rears and cracks are getting wider. Need replacement soon.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

MVEZ were the cooling ducts the GT2 ducts for the rear?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woodyTPA
MVEZ will the stock .2 3/RS rear rotors fit a .1 PCCB car? I have 20+ days on my turbo rears and cracks are getting wider. Need replacement soon.
Yes, direct fit. 2 gt3 rear brake ducts, and then trim your rear dust shield. .2 rear dust shields came trimmed.

I would personally try AP front rotors, and whatever on rear except turbo. But definitely add the cooling. I thought AP handled heat a little better than PFC.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 AM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'd rather use AP stuff than Girodisc
Any particular reason?
Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mvez
I ran both AP and PFC discs on my 7.1RS. Both are great. The slightly thinner PFC "race disc" face does shift bias ever so slightly rearward, as you use a smaller size pad (than stock), but you really have to be in tune with the car to feel it. AP rotors allow for more pad options, via stock pad shape.

If you run PFC, stick with the 34mm thick "race" disc, instead of the 32mm disc. Clarke sells them both, and the cost is pretty much the same. I preferred the 34mm PFC disc, I'd rather change pads more often than rotors.

Also, I ran .2 GT3/RS stock rear rotors, they are made with same Cup disc technology, and I never had to replace them in 4 years of track work (and that's 20+ days/year at quick pace)....with rear brake ducts, and Nitto tires. Ask those who know and they will tell you those discs are a complete world of difference from the stock turbo rears. The initial cost is less than a 2-piece setup, and the savings was worth it to me, since they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. So it's a toss-up, between stock .2 and 2-piece aftermarket, IMO. Both work great, with cooling ducts.

All that said, AP/Essex is coming out with a new brake package for the 987, and that's what I'll likely try if I can't get the stock package to work with all the cooling I've thrown at it.
The PFC 32 mm disc is thinner to allow for a thicker 19 mm pad. The 34 mm disc gets more life due it being thicker but you sacrifice a tad bit in pad thickness.

We use Brembo on the cars which I engineer so I would strongly consider that as well. There are multiple options for the 997 GT3 and Cayman.

Depending on the setup and which tracks you go to, you can get your 987 Cayman to have have good brake performance and life with upgraded pads / fluid. And its important to manage your cooling as well to get max life out of the brakes. As an example: on tracks with long straights and hard braking, overcooling the brakes (on the straight) will result in shorter disc life if you aren't checking temps. There is no magic bullet to brakes so you need to tune the brakes to suit your needs.

If you are consistently seeing very high temps (check using rotor heat paint), a brake upgrade will probably help.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
The PFC 32 mm disc is thinner to allow for a thicker 19 mm pad. The 34 mm disc gets more life due it being thicker but you sacrifice a tad bit in pad thickness.

We use Brembo on the cars which I engineer so I would strongly consider that as well. There are multiple options for the 997 GT3 and Cayman.

Depending on the setup and which tracks you go to, you can get your 987 Cayman to have have good brake performance and life with upgraded pads / fluid. And its important to manage your cooling as well to get max life out of the brakes. As an example: on tracks with long straights and hard braking, overcooling the brakes (on the straight) will result in shorter disc life if you aren't checking temps. There is no magic bullet to brakes so you need to tune the brakes to suit your needs.

If you are consistently seeing very high temps (check using rotor heat paint), a brake upgrade will probably help.
In my experience, at least for a stock cayman brake package, there is never too much cooling, especially for the front rotors.

However, with regards to the PFC vs. AP debate, I felt the AP discs handled heat better from the design which helps force more air through the internal veins. Also, I noticed more pad knock-back from the PFC floating design, which seems to let the discs float a bit more freely, compared to setups which use mounting hardware to the actual disc, not around it.

All small little variations, but noticeable.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=KA MOTORSPORT;12632066]The PFC 32 mm disc is thinner to allow for a thicker 19 mm pad. The 34 mm disc gets more life due it being thicker but you sacrifice a tad bit in pad thickness.

The PFC 32 MM disc is the real deal race setup allowing not just more pad but less weight. That said, I recommend the 34MM thickness unless you are seriously racing. Always less expensive to replace pads as compared to rotors.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mvez
In my experience, at least for a stock cayman brake package, there is never too much cooling, especially for the front rotors.

However, with regards to the PFC vs. AP debate, I felt the AP discs handled heat better from the design which helps force more air through the internal veins. Also, I noticed more pad knock-back from the PFC floating design, which seems to let the discs float a bit more freely, compared to setups which use mounting hardware to the actual disc, not around it.

All small little variations, but noticeable.
The fastest Caymans in IMSA ST are on stock Porsche rotors with modified cooling and RT pads. It all depends on what you do with your car specifically.

Both AP and PFC discs have similar vane designs if you look at the discs (vane count, type). The difference is in the quality of the iron and materials used. Here I think Brembo and AP are the leaders in disc production.

Knockback is a result of deflection in the hub or upright and while symptoms are in the brakes, is not brake related persay.

Good brakes is all about getting the basics right, not just throwing the most "trick" parts at it.

Quick Reply: AP rotor/Ferodo pads