911s Made out of unicorn tears

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015 | 02:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

^ you HAD 964. you experienced it.
some of us dumb bucks haven't had the pleasure to smell the oil yet. thus foolishly paying for relics....
but dont ruin my dream hahaah

i call it grass is greener on the other side.

i sold my 991gt3 to a great enthusiast who was an early car expert. he told me. early car ppfffff. whateer.. it ake GT3 over them anyday....

he can say that b/c he has had 10+ early cars.
i must bang my head on the wall myself no matter how much good warning you give me ;-)
Old 08-31-2015 | 03:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
some of us dumb bucks haven't had the pleasure to smell the oil yet. thus foolishly paying for relics....

i sold my 991gt3 to a great enthusiast who was an early car expert. he told me. early car ppfffff. whateer.. it ake GT3 over them anyday....

i must bang my head on the wall myself no matter how much good warning you give me ;-)
Im with you. We both know the 07-2011 GT3 series was a great run of what could be considered the best 911 to date. And you cant beat the latest greatest for a fun experience either.
However, I too have become interested in the roots of the GT3 and have started dabbling in the relics.
The relics are in some sence just smelly old used cars. But they do offer unique experiences that quench our thirst in the search for different highs in the 911 world.

GT3 was my gateway drug. Now I experiment with all types of 911s to get my kicks...
Variety is the spice of life
Old 08-31-2015 | 03:23 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

964, especially RSA, is IMO the best of the air cooled 911's available in the USA that weren't Cup cars or something similar. Euro RS was a different animal - much lighter, better hardware.

I had a 993 after this one and it was "OK" but the RSA provided a better, crisper driving experience. Less weight, better seats, equally good A/C and the 5 speed G50 in the 964 didn't have the too-tall USA EPA gearing of the 993. Of the ones I no longer have, this is the one I'd most like to have back. It was a more street-friendly than my GT3 as well...which may explain why a clean RSA is worth more.

Old 08-31-2015 | 10:21 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
964, especially RSA, is IMO the best of the air cooled 911's available in the USA that weren't Cup cars or something similar. Euro RS was a different animal - much lighter, better hardware.

I had a 993 after this one and it was "OK" but the RSA provided a better, crisper driving experience. Less weight, better seats, equally good A/C and the 5 speed G50 in the 964 didn't have the too-tall USA EPA gearing of the 993. Of the ones I no longer have, this is the one I'd most like to have back. It was a more street-friendly than my GT3 as well...which may explain why a clean RSA is worth more.

Is that pic taken on highway 348?
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:20 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 213 Posts

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. -Will Rogers
Old 08-31-2015 | 12:03 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Is that pic taken on highway 348?
Yep, that's 348, the Brasstown Scenic Highway, pic taken a few weeks before I sold it.

I had no intention of selling the car the time. I was a member of the RS America forum and was contacted by a local fellow Porsche enthusiast who came by, looked at the car and made me a ridiculously high offer. I stupidly took it and have regretted it daily ever since.

The GT3 is great, it comes close but I still prefer the old school involvement and relative simplicity of the RSA. I don't need 415 HP to have fun where I drive.

I've always done my own wrenching since my teenage Corvair days. The RSA was a joy to work on. H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks and Turbo front calipers made driving that thing a near-religious experience on a proper road - like 348.
Old 08-31-2015 | 12:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep, that's 348, the Brasstown Scenic Highway, pic taken a few weeks before I sold it.

I had no intention of selling the car the time. I was a member of the RS America forum and was contacted by a local fellow Porsche enthusiast who came by, looked at the car and made me a ridiculously high offer. I stupidly took it and have regretted it daily ever since.

The GT3 is great, it comes close but I still prefer the old school involvement and relative simplicity of the RSA. I don't need 415 HP to have fun where I drive.

I've always done my own wrenching since my teenage Corvair days. The RSA was a joy to work on. H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks and Turbo front calipers made driving that thing a near-religious experience on a proper road - like 348.
That's my favorite road up there; I grew up in Blue Ridge and have exercised all of my toys up there at some point.

I stopped at that turn-around a few weeks ago to shoot the **** with a few buddies who tagged along on our last ride.
Old 08-31-2015 | 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

I should have my 964 back all restored this week.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Im with you. We both know the 07-2011 GT3 series was a great run of what could be considered the best 911 to date. And you cant beat the latest greatest for a fun experience either.
However, I too have become interested in the roots of the GT3 and have started dabbling in the relics.
The relics are in some sence just smelly old used cars. But they do offer unique experiences that quench our thirst in the search for different highs in the 911 world.

GT3 was my gateway drug. Now I experiment with all types of 911s to get my kicks...
Variety is the spice of life
tom, pls do not confused yourself with me. you are WAY WORSE. you have a pile of rust you call PROJECT

i had several 993, c2, c4s, c2s, TT. didn't like any of them. bought a high mile fugly paint 964, fell in love and bought 1/2 dozen of them. anyone with really nice C2, ping me. i dont think i can have enough. preferable NOT RED OR BLK. i have too many.

Originally Posted by ranger22
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. -Will Rogers
will rogers is wrong. i am the fourth. i pee on fence, electrocuted and wondering why....

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I should have my 964 back all restored this week.
i thought rodger got it done already?
Old 09-01-2015 | 10:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

[QUOTE=mooty; i thought rodger got it done already?[/QUOTE]

Every time I take it a day to Sebring I stop by there to change to track wheels we find something else to pretty up. Added RS decals and some other little things :-) Hot Rods need Hot Rodding..
Old 09-01-2015 | 06:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I took it out yesterday...it's going to be really hard to let it go if a quick, easy sale materializes. It is a fact that none of the other 21 Porsches I've had in the past 43+ years, nor have several others I've driven over the years feel as "alive"as this one does.

I'd be interested - miss mine already and am very partial to white!
Old 09-01-2015 | 11:40 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I'd be interested - miss mine already and am very partial to white!
Thanks, I'll PM you tomorrow with the details.

Quick Reply: 911s Made out of unicorn tears