Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why my brake pedal goes soft on the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 68 Posts

How worn is the differential? With the stock diff plates that wear out on track quickly, the inside rear wheel wants to spin exiting the slower corners. The TC even when turned off will use the rear brake to grab the inside rear rotor to slow the wheel spin and over heat the brakes. A lot of gt3's rear calipers are much darker than the front because of this overheating. Rebuilding the diff will help a lot. The rear gt2/gt3 cooling ducts are helpful as well. I have seen this quite a bit at one of our local tracks with a lot of braking zones and slow turns. Might not be the issue but worth a look. Jack up on side of the car and spin the rear wheel to see how much break away torque the diff has.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
fusi23
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens the same in my 07 GT3.
I tried different type of discs, pads, hoses and still.
Never rebuid the calipers.

It will be the next thing I'll do.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Why my brake pedal goes soft on the track

Does your shop have different set of calipers around?

In these situations you have to start eliminating variables
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
How worn is the differential? With the stock diff plates that wear out on track quickly, the inside rear wheel wants to spin exiting the slower corners. The TC even when turned off will use the rear brake to grab the inside rear rotor to slow the wheel spin and over heat the brakes. A lot of gt3's rear calipers are much darker than the front because of this overheating. Rebuilding the diff will help a lot. The rear gt2/gt3 cooling ducts are helpful as well. I have seen this quite a bit at one of our local tracks with a lot of braking zones and slow turns. Might not be the issue but worth a look. Jack up on side of the car and spin the rear wheel to see how much break away torque the diff has.
I have an OS Giken LSD that's two years old and works fine as far as I can tell. My rear calipers are the same color as the front and show no signs of overheating, although I have seen this discoloration on other cars. In fact I've checked caliper temperatures with temperature strips, temperature sensitive paint, and an IR pyrometer. The temperatures never go much over 300F.

Does your shop have different set of calipers around?

In these situations you have to start eliminating variables.
Unfortunately no.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:50 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

To me it sounds like your calipers need to be rebuild properly using the correct parts and technology.

We rebuild calipers here so we could do that for you.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I have an OS Giken LSD that's two years old and works fine as far as I can tell. My rear calipers are the same color as the front and show no signs of overheating, although I have seen this discoloration on other cars. In fact I've checked caliper temperatures with temperature strips, temperature sensitive paint, and an IR pyrometer. The temperatures never go much over 300F.

Unfortunately no.
Have you checked the break away torque? It may have been mentioned before, but are you mechanically bleeding the brakes or using some sort of power bleeder?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
Have you checked the break away torque? It may have been mentioned before, but are you mechanically bleeding the brakes or using some sort of power bleeder?
I haven't checked the break away torque but I'm certain that the diff is not the problem. There are absolutely no signs of excessive heat in the rear calipers, as confirmed by temperature sensitive strips and paint on the calipers, and IR pyrometer measurements.

Bleeding is always done mechanically with somebody in the car working the brake pedal.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Could this just be a massive knockback issue from worn out wheel bearings? The tap of the brake before the turn that you suggested would validate this condition.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Protocav
Could this just be a massive knockback issue from worn out wheel bearings? The tap of the brake before the turn that you suggested would validate this condition.
It's definitely not wheel bearings, although I did investigate this possibility earlier. Front wheel bearings were replaced a while back, although not the rear. The thing is that the "long" brake pedal persists even when the car is standing still, as long as the brakes are hot. As I said before, you can see a visible gap open up between the pistons and the pads when you let off the brake, and the tap closes it up momentarily.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

1) for me back to the basics: are you sure that your system is bled properly? There are always theories about bleed process, but some believe in modulating the ABS valves while pulling vacuum to get all air / all fluid out.
2) Wilwood makes inline residual pressure valves. You can get them in 2/5/10 psi. I have used them in race cars but cars built from scratch and not factory cars such as yours. The primary purpose has to do with brake fluid drainback.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if this could be some sort of venting issue causing a vacuum. Maybe get an extra reservoir cap and drill a tiny hole in it and see what happens.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
1) for me back to the basics: are you sure that your system is bled properly? There are always theories about bleed process, but some believe in modulating the ABS valves while pulling vacuum to get all air / all fluid out.
The ABS valves are always actuated as part of the bleed process.

I wonder if this could be some sort of venting issue causing a vacuum. Maybe get an extra reservoir cap and drill a tiny hole in it and see what happens.
I don't think it involves hydraulics at all. When the calipers are completely removed from the car with no brake lines attached, you can still see the pistons pull back after they are pushed in. It must be the seals that are pulling them back in.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
I will give this a try on the next track day!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-question.html
Old 08-22-2015, 12:59 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem found! Very much uneven pad wear. Pad 10mm at top and 5mm at bottom! So was basically running on 50% of the pad - heat!
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mm450exc
Problem found! Very much uneven pad wear. Pad 10mm at top and 5mm at bottom! So was basically running on 50% of the pad - heat!
Ideally the normal amount of longitudinal taper should only be 1.5 mm. Extending the pistons would definitely create travel (not sponginess) in the pedal. But this is a known issue on the Porsche red calipers and flipping the pads regularly is a bandaid.

When the pads wear down past 60%, more heat gets transferred to the calipers as well. The compound also serves as some insulation for the caliper as well. Very much a hydraulic issue as well as the fluid and piston seals get taxed.

A lower wearing pad which generates less heat would be good to consider next time around.

Quick Reply: Why my brake pedal goes soft on the track