Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to tell if slotted rotors are too worn (photo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:38 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if slotted rotors are too worn (photo)

I'm familiar with the rules regarding cracks in rotors when in comes to cross-drilled rotors, but I didn't know what the rule is for slotted rotors.

Below is a picture of my stoptech slotted rotors. Is the cracking to the point that I need to replace them? Thanks!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

When you can't see the slots anymore....
Old 07-25-2015, 11:11 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

^ Yeah, I'll only be concerned if your slots are starting to "blur" into the rest of the rotor.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The manufacture should spell out min thickness but to be honest depending on driver/operating conditions etc you should make an educated guess when to retire them - failure isn't funny.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Unless a crack develops going to the outside you will be good until the slots disappear. The small hairline separations you see on the rotor face are not cracks but heat stress fractures. These babies look like they have tons of life left.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to tell if slotted rotors are too worn (photo)

Agree. Lots of life left
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
The manufacture should spell out min thickness but to be honest depending on driver/operating conditions etc you should make an educated guess when to retire them - failure isn't funny.
This can be tricky to measure if the pad is not completely covering the full swept area of the rotor. You can get irregularities because the pad is not interfacing on the outer edge of the rotor, which can culminate as not being able to properly measure the true thickness of the wear surface. For whatever reason I didn't have trouble with this until I got a new batch of PFC pads from my new supplier. The pads cover about 95% of the actual surface for some reason - I guess these must be cup pads, not GT3 pads.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This can be tricky to measure if the pad is not completely covering the full swept area of the rotor. You can get irregularities because the pad is not interfacing on the outer edge of the rotor, which can culminate as not being able to properly measure the true thickness of the wear surface. For whatever reason I didn't have trouble with this until I got a new batch of PFC pads from my new supplier. The pads cover about 95% of the actual surface for some reason - I guess these must be cup pads, not GT3 pads.
That depends on what you are using to measure the thickness. Regular calipers won't do the job because of the unswept outer edge that you speak of. Hence the need for brake rotor calipers which have anvils to "pinch" the rotor for an accurate measurement

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-Caliper-Electronic-Micrometer/dp/B006Y1OWKS
Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ this. Or the callipers have little buttons on the jaws so you can measure past the lip.

Quick Reply: How to tell if slotted rotors are too worn (photo)