Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do any of you ever drive without a front lip on your GT3 if you're going on a trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

never, always on.
try not to hit things, you will be fine.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

motorsport lip, slammed car, if it's rubbing, other stuff on the car isn't. driveways at angles, lifting a wheel, just deal with it, not an issue. Mine is pretty trashed (have a new one on the shelf along with oem lip). Just try to not hit stuff, makes you a more aware driver. Cup lip is lower, much more flexible, but also shows marks a little more. Some use plati-dip and looks new again.

if a car has a pristine lip or painted lip i know the car isn't driven :-)

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 PM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a GT3 but my aerokit equipped 997 scrapes pretty easily.Im used to driving lowered cars so I've come to the conclusion it's just plain low. Car is stock height as well and I wanna get coilovers to close the wheel gap on my aftermarket wheel setup.

My lip is beat up but I just give it a plastidip touch up spray every now n then.Im about to order a spare new one just to have laying around.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Shot the first IDPA pistol match yesterday, since I am recovering well from my recent surgery, I had not shot a competition in about 2+ months. This was a BUG match, so shot my Dan Wesson ECO .45, hot and humid, was pretty tiring, but gun 100% reliable, good to know as it is my "carry" gun. Put XS sights on it, absolutely shoots to point of aim. Gave a shooting friend 50 rounds of my custom 308 150gr FMJ, he told me it is without a doubt the most accurate ammo he has ever shot from his 308 AR.

Picking up a 257 Weatherby in about two weeks, will start making ammo for it then.

Life is good, and all the best....
I wish I was closer to NC, I'd love to get some pointers from you, and maybe try out that Dan Wesson. I'm looking to start IDPA or USPSA soon, will probably just be running production class for a long while. Glad to hear your recovery is coming along well, surgery has never been fun for anyone.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
motorsport lip, slammed car, if it's rubbing, other stuff on the car isn't. driveways at angles, lifting a wheel, just deal with it, not an issue. Mine is pretty trashed (have a new one on the shelf along with oem lip). Just try to not hit stuff, makes you a more aware driver. Cup lip is lower, much more flexible, but also shows marks a little more. Some use plati-dip and looks new again.

if a car has a pristine lip or painted lip i know the car isn't driven :-)
Your cup lip looks downright sexy compared to mine. Haha. I have to agree, if the cup lip's rubbing then other stuff isn't.

Last edited by LateBraking; 07-28-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my way to NE. Following my wife in her Mini. Stopped for the nite in Frankfort. Was able to avoid a partial deer carcass "at speed" and was glad I did as that stinking mess was high enough to have blown off my "lip". My wife later remarked at many cars pulled along side to check out my very loud/high wing GT3. On the road in a few minutes.

All the best......
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Nope. My lip came from previous owner beat to hell. I'd rather destroy the lip than chance scraping the bumper up. Plus, the cup lip is extremely affordable for a OEM lip anyways, so I plan to get a spare if I ever end up caring about the lip's look while not throwing away the beat to death one.
Agree, it's a great gauge for where the lower portion of the car is in relation to the ground. Kinda like the modern day curb feeler. My brand new cup lip got scraped the first day.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 AM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Spyrex. do you prefer the motorsport lip over the cup lip?

Quick Reply: Do any of you ever drive without a front lip on your GT3 if you're going on a trip