Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do any of you ever drive without a front lip on your GT3 if you're going on a trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 AM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Do any of you ever drive without a front lip on your GT3 if you're going on a trip

I recently saw a gentleman in the Monterey area driving around his GT3 without the front lip. I asked him when I saw his car where his lip was.....he said "in my back seat" he has a cup lip and said it scrapes everywhere. He drove from the pacific northwest down to california and felt it was easier to just take it off. Do any of you guys do the same? My factory lip does have some scratches but I have a spare new one I haven't put on yet.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not with my KW 4 wheel lift kit - goes from ground hugger to monster truck in seconds.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:54 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will replace mine when we get back from the Sandhill's Open Road Challenge in a few weeks. I consider them a "consumable". Since we will be running up to 120 mph, we don't want to upset our aerodynamics. Ours is a cup lip. I have heard the cup lip is more flexible than the "street lip."

all the best....
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

No, mine is already beat up so who cares.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:23 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car does look old school and better without it, in my opinion.

I have thought about but never actually done it, to remove the wings, front flics, lip and stickers - I suspect it would look very classy.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

On my old 996.2 GT3, I did a trackday without the front lip at Pacific Raceways (too embarassing to say how I lost it). I was scared going into T2 (end of a long front straight) without the front end grip I am used to. First experience knowing what no front aero was like at high speeds. Didn't dive the rest of the day.

Keep it on. Protects the paint and is a cheap disposable (and very functional at high speeds).
Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
No, mine is already beat up so who cares.
I'm with you. i thought about just replacing mine but just spray mine with fresh plasti dip every year or so and that solves the problem. I then just tear off the fraying pieces and bam.

Cup lip = lower but more flexible. I personally wouldn't take off the front lip, it's not 'that' bad, and it would make me feel uneasy for those romps on the highway.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:20 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
I'm with you. i thought about just replacing mine but just spray mine with fresh plasti dip every year or so and that solves the problem. I then just tear off the fraying pieces and bam.

Cup lip = lower but more flexible. I personally wouldn't take off the front lip, it's not 'that' bad, and it would make me feel uneasy for those romps on the highway.
How does the Cup lip hold up vs. the OEM lip? I have an OEM lip on my car that's a little beat up and even with the from lift kit I understand why... on a recent day trip to Napa I couldn't believe how many times it scraped on the highway due to the dips and humps. I have a new OEM lip at home but I might sell it and put the Cup lip on because I like the looks of it but didn't know with it hanging lower if it would rub excessively on the highway.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
How does the Cup lip hold up vs. the OEM lip? I have an OEM lip on my car that's a little beat up and even with the from lift kit I understand why... on a recent day trip to Napa I couldn't believe how many times it scraped on the highway due to the dips and humps. I have a new OEM lip at home but I might sell it and put the Cup lip on because I like the looks of it but didn't know with it hanging lower if it would rub excessively on the highway.
If you are rubbing on the highway with the street lip i wouldn't run the cup lip since it's lower. the more flexible part really only applies for driveways etc where you're taking a slow approach and it would flex.

I drive highways in the SF Bay area and I've never scraped my front lip. is it possible your car is lower than stock in the front? maybe the solution is to raise it up a tad or to run with the suspension on track mode
Old 07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

It only rubbed as we drove on the 580 last weekend to Livermore but there was a lot of construction on that road, this could be the reason. The road was very uneven and I thought somewhat unsafe. I also could be mistaking the front lip scraping for something else under my car too. The previous owner installed these red loops near the front suspension to lock the car down while on a car trailer, I should look at uninstalling them if they're rubbing.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:21 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope. My lip came from previous owner beat to hell. I'd rather destroy the lip than chance scraping the bumper up. Plus, the cup lip is extremely affordable for a OEM lip anyways, so I plan to get a spare if I ever end up caring about the lip's look while not throwing away the beat to death one.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

+1 The front bumper clip is not that much higher off the ground that the lip (well not the cup lip...)

There is a technique I use that allows you to get into a relatively steep driveway/entry. I drive at an extreme angle to let one tire drive up at a reduced angle. The chassis is so stiff, the other side will lift off the ground until you straighten out and finish the ascent. Same goes for a descent.

If you are worried about what others think of your antics, it might not be for you though...I've had people come up to me either asking questions and telling me I'm an idiot porsche driver.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand new Porsche front lip in my basement, and run one of the $100 Chinese repros on the car. It actually fits and looks really nice. And it's held up really well...
Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

I have the cup lip on my car as well. It is LOW! But for the most part I know how to negotiate crests and spots that may cause rubbing. Worst case scenario, I just remove the lip. It's not bolted on, so it literally takes 30 seconds to pull it off the bumper and another 30 seconds to push it back in.

I do need to take it off to clear my garage Upstate for instance. First time my wife saw me "take the car apart" she rolled her eyes and said it was "absolutely ridiculous." She's right
Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I added a concrete "fill" onto the curb gutter at my house, to reduce scraping, and my son and I recently did the same thing at his home in Columbia, beats getting out the 2X6 boards everytime we wanted to enter or leave his driveway. We have a "cup" lip, but as it is pretty flexible, only has one small tear now at a corner.

Chris told me the other day he was making a slow drive around his neighborhood, and noted a number of owners have also added concrete fillers, and plans to drive around to see who has what cars in his neighborhood. So far, some 'Vettes, and a few Ferrari's, bound to be others.

Had a chuckle the other day, he had our GT3 and his Elise both in his driveway, and a dad from down the street walked over and said "I told my wife I just had to meet anyone with cars like this sitting in his driveway." A number of the teen guys on his street have come over to sit in our sports cars. All of us must work to start the flame burning in those just coming into their own driving years. We have to keep replacing ourselves.

Leaving in about 18 hours for the run to NE, wife in her Mini and me of course in our GT3, she won't ride in it, and besides, taking too much stuff out, her mom lives in southeast NE. Then in about a week, will run up to Lincoln, and pick Chris up and trek out to western NE, to run the Sandhills Challenge. Spent yesterday adjusting and test fitting the two video systems into the car.

Shot the first IDPA pistol match yesterday, since I am recovering well from my recent surgery, I had not shot a competition in about 2+ months. This was a BUG match, so shot my Dan Wesson ECO .45, hot and humid, was pretty tiring, but gun 100% reliable, good to know as it is my "carry" gun. Put XS sights on it, absolutely shoots to point of aim. Gave a shooting friend 50 rounds of my custom 308 150gr FMJ, he told me it is without a doubt the most accurate ammo he has ever shot from his 308 AR.

Picking up a 257 Weatherby in about two weeks, will start making ammo for it then.

Life is good, and all the best....

Quick Reply: Do any of you ever drive without a front lip on your GT3 if you're going on a trip