Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Questions on purchasing a GT3, newb in the east bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Questions on purchasing a GT3, newb in the east bay

Hey all, so had my eyes on a 997.1 or .2 C2s, then to a GTS, but i've really always wanted a GT2/3. So doing my research on this the last couple of weeks thanx to this site.

I currently track an LS protouring 70 Camaro and will be tracking this car..

I have a budget of 80 to 90. Not 100% sure on which color yet but leaning towards white....

anybody know this one? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...02290771&Log=0

missed out on that nice silver one in SF this weekend, but totally new into this and patience isn't my middle name, but needs to be...

thanx for any help, Mike in Livermore
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 PM
whoadude
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Try googling the vins of the cars youre interested in. This one has been discussed https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-for-sale.html
Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Questions on purchasing a GT3, newb in the east bay

Try to buy with pre-track work completed.

Speaking from experience I bought a completely stock one and promptly dropped $20k into it
Old 07-22-2015, 01:49 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For the right $ I may sell mine. I have been eye gawking sls amg gt lately.
All mine needs is a detail. Oh and it has warranty till decm 2017...
Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
i can vouch for the "needs a detail" comment.
actually, just a wash is probably fine and a very nice car.

was nice meeting up last weekend for the drive!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last fall, my son and I decided to move "up" from an '07 Carrera S to a GT3. What we learned, mostly here, is that you need to be prepared to move quickly when the car you want comes along. Cars that are reasonably and appropriately priced sell very quickly, while those owner's cars who want premium dollars tend to sit awhile. I arranged to have a wire transfer available with my bank, so when the right car came up, all the little details of acquisition were already in place.

As for track modifications, my son and I had a decade of track experience in DE's with our Superformance 427 Cobra replica but I had decided that I am pretty much over and done with track, and my son has now a Lotus Elise, so having a car set up for track use, or intending to do so with which ever car we bought just was not necessary.

Now, as for track prep, I really can't comment on that, I am sure there are extensive and expensive modifications one can do to a GT3, nor do I have an opinion on what wear and tear a track history means to one of these cars. I guess it depends on your "pockets" and goals, and what you are capable of using on your GT3.

Several years ago, when I was up at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, I commented to the service rep that the GT3 a customer had just bought and was sitting in the service bay was a really gorgeous car. He commented that it looked nice, but when the new owner brought it in for an initial service, they found it had been in some sort of accident, and had repairs and a repaint.

You will get advice here about what things are important to check on these expensive cars, and suggestions also about what modifications are appropriate to have or get for your car. For our car, the first thing was to spend about $4,500 on dropping the motor, getting the coolant pipes welded, and all the counsumables replaced while the motor was out, plus a few other things.

My son and I are leaving next week to head out to western Nebraska to run the Sandhills Challenge, a 28 mile run up and then back on a winding, hilly two lane road, as rookies for this event, we are limited to 120 mph. And looking at videos of the run, 120 "tech" speed looks plenty fast for the road.

Best wishes for your search and enjoyment of your Porsche.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:06 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Saru385
i can vouch for the "needs a detail" comment. actually, just a wash is probably fine and a very nice car. was nice meeting up last weekend for the drive!
Very nice meeting up w you too.

Well after the drive I did a quick wipe down of all the dust. Here is what the paint looks under the layer of dust. I was told by a detail pro that it's best to touch/wipe the car as least as possible. So I only wipe the car down every 6 months or so.
Attached Images  

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 07-22-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:10 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Very little to no swirl marks .
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

There is another thread on this car. You have pm.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by whoadude
Try googling the vins of the cars youre interested in. This one has been discussed https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-for-sale.html
Great point!! Will do from now on, i thought you were talking about how to search for one, not that particular one. Great link with good info, thanx a bunch...

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Try to buy with pre-track work completed.

Speaking from experience I bought a completely stock one and promptly dropped $20k into it
Yeah, from what i understand its pretty much the sky's the limit...which is one of the reasons i'm going from searching from a GTS to the 3

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Detail a GT3? why would you do that? aren't they worth more patina'd? lol

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Last fall, my son and I decided to move "up" from an '07 Carrera S to a GT3. What we learned, mostly here, is that you need to be prepared to move quickly when the car you want comes along. Cars that are reasonably and appropriately priced sell very quickly, while those owner's cars who want premium dollars tend to sit awhile. I arranged to have a wire transfer available with my bank, so when the right car came up, all the little details of acquisition were already in place.

As for track modifications, my son and I had a decade of track experience in DE's with our Superformance 427 Cobra replica but I had decided that I am pretty much over and done with track, and my son has now a Lotus Elise, so having a car set up for track use, or intending to do so with which ever car we bought just was not necessary.

Now, as for track prep, I really can't comment on that, I am sure there are extensive and expensive modifications one can do to a GT3, nor do I have an opinion on what wear and tear a track history means to one of these cars. I guess it depends on your "pockets" and goals, and what you are capable of using on your GT3.

Several years ago, when I was up at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, I commented to the service rep that the GT3 a customer had just bought and was sitting in the service bay was a really gorgeous car. He commented that it looked nice, but when the new owner brought it in for an initial service, they found it had been in some sort of accident, and had repairs and a repaint.

You will get advice here about what things are important to check on these expensive cars, and suggestions also about what modifications are appropriate to have or get for your car. For our car, the first thing was to spend about $4,500 on dropping the motor, getting the coolant pipes welded, and all the counsumables replaced while the motor was out, plus a few other things.

My son and I are leaving next week to head out to western Nebraska to run the Sandhills Challenge, a 28 mile run up and then back on a winding, hilly two lane road, as rookies for this event, we are limited to 120 mph. And looking at videos of the run, 120 "tech" speed looks plenty fast for the road.

Best wishes for your search and enjoyment of your Porsche.
thanx for the details...appreciate it...

Originally Posted by fjpdds
There is another thread on this car. You have pm.
Got it, i was confused with another thread and thought that you pm'd me by mistake...thanx for the info...

Quick Reply: Questions on purchasing a GT3, newb in the east bay