Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

we need a norcal drive soon.

is that the view point off skyline?
Old 07-08-2015 | 04:46 AM
JuanCarpantier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
Juan -- 6000 miles since March is impressive! that drive you did looked like a great time too.
Thanks. I've got a weekend route similar to the one you descirbed in the first post.

Aiming for a Nurburgring or Spa trip in the Fall before moving back to the states, so I'm assuming I'll sell the car with around 40,000 miles.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015 | 08:21 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm off on a 2500 jaunt through Europe and the Alps on Saturday in my 7.2 GT3 on this driving tour

http://www.petrolheadnirvana.com/dri.../alpine-north/
Old 07-08-2015 | 11:11 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
we need a norcal drive soon.

is that the view point off skyline?
yep. stopped at that while heading south on Skyline from Alice's heading towards Hwy 9.

on Sunday i saw what looked like a white GT3 RS coming down 84 towards the coast as i was heading up 84 towards Alice's. he seemed to be mixed in with some motorcycles.
Old 07-08-2015 | 01:42 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JuanCarpantier
Thanks. I've got a weekend route similar to the one you descirbed in the first post.

Aiming for a Nurburgring or Spa trip in the Fall before moving back to the states, so I'm assuming I'll sell the car with around 40,000 miles.
your route looks like it takes you right by where a friend of mine grew up (a bit northwest of Aberdeen). i'll have to show her the map to confirm.

last October i tagged along when another friend picked up her 2015 Cayman S at Zuffenhausen and day 3 for that car was 5 trips around the Nurburgring! It was a tourist day and we only drove it in a "spirited" manner (new car, first time there, lots of other cars on track) and it was still pretty amazing! in fact, even getting passed by multiple GT3s, M3s, Clios and the occasional crazy panel van driver was pretty cool.

if you have time, we really liked the drive along the Alpenstrasse heading east from Fussen. really nice roads and scenery down in that part of Germany.

Nurburgring: Waiting out a track closure

Nurburgring: and we're on the Ring!

Nurburgring: Karussell ride

Last edited by Saru385; 07-08-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2015 | 01:48 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i grew up in the North Bay and parents and sister are still up that way. have been contemplating a route that takes me out Sir Francis Drake towards the coast, head north some more and cut over towards Petaluma or Santa Rosa. just not sure which specific roads to hit up in the Marin area...

usually when i go to Santa Rosa i'll jump off 101 at Petaluma and go into Santa Rosa via Crane Canyon to Grange Rd to Bennett Valley Rd.
The drives truly start north of Bodega Bay and really get going north of Jenner with lots of routes back to 101. Best when its not RV season.
Old 07-08-2015 | 02:01 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LewSF
The drives truly start north of Bodega Bay and really get going north of Jenner with lots of routes back to 101. Best when its not RV season.
haha. definitely remember getting stuck behind RVs and other slow traffic on the roads around Bodega Bay when i was a kid. but at least then my dad was driving and we weren't in a car that was made for going fast on twisty roads.
Old 07-08-2015 | 02:32 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree its a gutsy move getting it dropped off at work but with the amount of beautiful cars at my company, I wasn't too stressed about the perception. I took the Skyline route a few months back with my Corvette at the time and it was covered in a damp marine layer which wasn't that enjoyable. Now that we're getting out of the May Gray/June Gloom weather, I'll have to take my car on that route. I'm bringing my car to Chassen at SP Motorsports tonight to get the wheels painted black and alignment done due to a really annoying steering wheel shake at highway speed. Additionally, the steering wheel is cocked a few degrees off which drives me crazy. On top of that I'm leaving for a business trip but once I'm back its time to get out and drive!

QUESTION: I live in a condo in SF with only parking ramp access, obviously no space to whip out my buffer. Are you aware of anybody on the forum willing to "rent" out their garage for a day so I'm able to clay, compound, polish, wax my baby? I'd really hate to wait until Thanksgiving before I'm down in Southern California with the future in-laws.

congrats on tracking down a GT3!!! having it dropped off at work is pretty gutsy! i met the guy from Inter City a few blocks from my house when mine got shipped out here.

yea, i like that 17 to 1 to Skyline to 9 route, though so do a lot of other people (cyclists, motorcycles, other cars), so you need a bit of luck to not get stuck behind slow traffic at some point. and since people don't seem to understand how to use the turn outs, i've found it's better to just pull over at certain points along that loop to build up some free space.

continuing North on Skyline to 92 and cutting down to Half Moon Bay is good too. oh! and the new tunnel on 1 by Pacifica is a fun place to make some noise. though think you need to be alert for police around there.

the road up to Lick Observatory has some nice stretches, but also some really twisty bits that almost had me feeling car sick. i've yet to go all the way up past the observatory to Mines Rd and then over to Livermore, but will try that at some point.
Old 07-08-2015 | 02:54 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
I'm bringing my car to Chassen at SP Motorsports tonight to get the wheels painted black and alignment done due to a really annoying steering wheel shake at highway speed.
nice! i need to talk to them about pipe pinning and other maintenance stuff.

QUESTION: I live in a condo in SF with only parking ramp access, obviously no space to whip out my buffer. Are you aware of anybody on the forum willing to "rent" out their garage for a day so I'm able to clay, compound, polish, wax my baby? I'd really hate to wait until Thanksgiving before I'm down in Southern California with the future in-laws.
i have the same problem. i have an indoor parking spot and an outdoor one, but no where to really wash the car where i live. i've just been using Griot's Spray On Car Wash to keep the car clean.
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

yep. stopped at that while heading south on Skyline from Alice's heading towards Hwy 9.

on Sunday i saw what looked like a white GT3 RS coming down 84 towards the coast as i was heading up 84 towards Alice's. he seemed to be mixed in with some motorcycles.
lots p car up there, i dont drive around that area. but i am on my bicycle up there often.

I agree its a gutsy move getting it dropped off at work but with the amount of beautiful cars at my company, I wasn't too stressed about the perception. I took the Skyline route a few months back with my Corvette at the time and it was covered in a damp marine layer which wasn't that enjoyable. Now that we're getting out of the May Gray/June Gloom weather, I'll have to take my car on that route. I'm bringing my car to Chassen at SP Motorsports tonight to get the wheels painted black and alignment done due to a really annoying steering wheel shake at highway speed. Additionally, the steering wheel is cocked a few degrees off which drives me crazy. On top of that I'm leaving for a business trip but once I'm back its time to get out and drive!

brian, if you can do it on weekday, we can accomodate you. the "wash" part is tricky as the yard is full of cars. but once washed, we can put you in the next bldg you can wax to your hearts content. and if you need griots speedshine, spray wax, i have like 100 gallons of each. no, i am no kidding.

perhaps we can arrange a detailing day on a weekend. pastry washed down with spray wax.... hum....
saru, brian, and a few others....
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:53 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default GT3 problem...

perhaps we can arrange a detailing day on a weekend. pastry washed down with spray wax.... hum....
saru, brian, and a few others....
Id swing by for this if I have the car back
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

^ u have a car?
the one you haven't seen for 9 months, lol.
5" of dust on it
but i have 20 cans of clay and 100 gal of liquid chemical, you are covered.

7/18 or 7/25?
tye, brian, saru, chris F
Old 07-09-2015 | 03:41 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

^ u have a car?
the one you haven't seen for 9 months, lol.
5" of dust on it
but i have 20 cans of clay and 100 gal of liquid chemical, you are covered.

7/18 or 7/25?
tye, brian, saru, chris F
i'd be up for a meet up at Mooty's Warehouse of Cars.

7/18 would work best for me since might need to head to korea for work stuff on the 25th.
Old 07-09-2015 | 11:48 AM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd be up for a meet up at Mooty's Warehouse of Cars.

7/18 would work best for me since might need to head to korea for work stuff on the 25th.
I'd be down especially if earlier in the AM, either works but 25th is preferable.
Old 07-09-2015 | 03:23 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

mine is going into California Detailing today - can't wait!

Quick Reply: GT3 problem...