Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to remove rear side trim panels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove rear side trim panels?

I bought a set of yellow seat belts for my car.

Need to remove the rear side trim panels to install them, and I'd like not to learn anything the "hard way". Did a quick forum search, but did not find anything.

If anyone can give me some tips, or direct me to a good source, I'd appreciate it.

thx
Old 06-14-2015, 11:39 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

- Remove A-piller trim, they snap in with metal clips in the pillars of the body (pull outward I believe). It will expose a phillips screw on the B-pillar trim panel that the top of the seat belt is attached to. Remove that.

- Unbolt the top of the seatbelt anchor/slider on the B-pillar, and remove that larger bolt that holds it. The bolt is under a plastic cover on the seat belt loop if I remember.

- The B-pillar trim panel that the seat belt is attached to is now ready to come out, it pulls outward/up at the same time. Pretty easy.

- Now the seatbelt will be flopped over the quarter trim panel you are attempting to remove. There is a T25 torx bit where the B-piller trim panel meets the large side panel, remove that.

- The entire side panel can come out now, it is snapped in the same as the A-piller trim panel. Grab it by the door sill side and give it a decent pull, but only pull about 5-6" off when the clips unsnap as you have to remove the speaker wire on the side panels otherwise it will break the plastic clip. Continue to unclip all of the way toward the rear of the car, the clips won't break so don't worry if they make odd snapping sounds.

- Revere to re-install.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to remove the panel fully but just the front edge - I have a cage so did it this way to stop a load of pain and time removing the cage first and then the rear quarter trim just to fit belts!

PS partly remove the door seal along the edge wear the trim meets the door- you will finger it out. Its not a hard job- 30 mins each side tops- 15 if your quick.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Thanks, guys! Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend. Sounds pretty straightforward.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

What will you be doing w/ your Black belts? I have Yellows now and they are a bit too 'hey, check out my seat belts!!!' for me.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:56 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

sry, double post... (shame)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonwb
What will you be doing w/ your Black belts? I have Yellows now and they are a bit too 'hey, check out my seat belts!!!' for me.
Planning to keep them in a box in the basement, because:
1) They're original to the car, and there's the voice in the back of my head that says that might matter a lot to the next owner (in the unlikelihood that I might ever sell it)...
2) Some day I might feel the same way you do now
Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Ppy5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the same (have black belts in black leather/cf interior and its muted) so if you could take some pics of the 'more difficult' steps when you do the 2nd side that would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from black to red to match the OEM CS spec harnesses.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
- Remove A-piller trim, they snap in with metal clips in the pillars of the body (pull outward I believe). It will expose a phillips screw on the B-pillar trim panel that the top of the seat belt is attached to. Remove that.

- Unbolt the top of the seatbelt anchor/slider on the B-pillar, and remove that larger bolt that holds it. The bolt is under a plastic cover on the seat belt loop if I remember.

- The B-pillar trim panel that the seat belt is attached to is now ready to come out, it pulls outward/up at the same time. Pretty easy.

- Now the seatbelt will be flopped over the quarter trim panel you are attempting to remove. There is a T25 torx bit where the B-piller trim panel meets the large side panel, remove that.

- The entire side panel can come out now, it is snapped in the same as the A-piller trim panel. Grab it by the door sill side and give it a decent pull, but only pull about 5-6" off when the clips unsnap as you have to remove the speaker wire on the side panels otherwise it will break the plastic clip. Continue to unclip all of the way toward the rear of the car, the clips won't break so don't worry if they make odd snapping sounds.

- Revere to re-install.
I started doing this, but maybe I'm not following the instructions right? I can pull the A-Pillar trim outward from the metal, but the A-Pillar piece is actually trapped UNDER the B-Pillar (see picture). It's also trapped by the instrument panel. So it seems the B-Pillar actually needs to be out to get the back of the A-Pillar out?

And how does the big cap that covers the seat belt D-Ring slider come off?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:26 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquary
I started doing this, but maybe I'm not following the instructions right? I can pull the A-Pillar trim outward from the metal, but the A-Pillar piece is actually trapped UNDER the B-Pillar (see picture). It's also trapped by the instrument panel. So it seems the B-Pillar actually needs to be out to get the back of the A-Pillar out?

And how does the big cap that covers the seat belt D-Ring slider come off?

You don't need to do all this. Changing the front belts and removing the tear panel is really simple. I removed my black belts and switched to yellow and had it all done in 30 minutes.

Take a look at this:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ual-guide.html
Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
Are you interested in selling your yellows or just buying black belts. I have my black belts.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
You don't need to do all this. Changing the front belts and removing the tear panel is really simple. I removed my black belts and switched to yellow and had it all done in 30 minutes.

Take a look at this:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ual-guide.html
Thank you, sir. With those instructions, the installation was pretty straightforward. Took me a bit longer than 30 minutes, but it's done and nothing's damaged

In spite of having the battery disconnected throughout the entire disassembly/reassembly, I now have the airbag light on (sounds like same happened to the poster of the above instructions). Is there a DIY way to reset this, or does it need to be done by a dealer?

Quick Reply: How to remove rear side trim panels?