Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche Re-introducing Manual 911 GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Its possible…but just because AP says so, it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen.

"Good news for manual gearbox fans, too. While the current 911 GT3 and GT3 RS are dual-clutch PDK paddleshift only, Preuninger suggests future models will offer a conventional three-pedal option."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...wer-arms-race/
last i checked AP's credential was no better than bush or obama... and you all believe these ppl? i think i will run for president this time.

Originally Posted by Chris Quinn
I have a very good source who is tight with the Porsche manufacturing community and he claims Porsche is looking to re-introduce manual GT3's? Has anyone else heard this rumor? This would obviously not be great news for those over-paying for 2011 and or 2010 manual GT3's?

Regardless, love the GT3 and GT3 RS as the highest form of 911 driving enjoyment.
i love H pattern, i still have a bunch of RS with sticks. but i love those cars first and they happen to have stick. not the other way around. if stick is so important, guess what civic R is stick. try that. it's pretty raw and very high rpm as well.

Originally Posted by ilko

Once you drive one of these manual GT3s there is no such thing as "overpayment." Just "why didn't I get this sooner?"

I'd like to see what the manual gearbox would be for these new cars. Because the current manual is a repacked PDK box and it shows. Just because a car has 3 pedals doesn't mean it's good.

you hit nail on the head and pounded it straight into coffin. if they did a good H pattern, sure that would be cool. but today's 9A1 is to be used with pdk. the stick at 7 speed is just a rebadged PDK. and i know many ppl money shifts and really cant heel and toe to save their lives. but they want stick.... 7 speed has two middle gates, you WILL BOTCH THE SHIFT. you WILL blow up the motor.

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
Agreed. Don't forget the hydraulic steering rack vs the electric rack in 991 GT3 and all future 911's.

The value and mystique associated with the 997 GT3 is much more than just the manual transmission. Those who think otherwise are just missing the plot.
right on.

997 is great b/c it's a PACKAGE. not the H pattern stick. kenworth truck has stick with 18 speed if shifting by hand is so cool, try that. it's not easy to master shifting without clutch!

the right way is to get a 7gt enjoy what's great about it. then add a 991gt and see how it differs.

arguing red is better then white wine is pointless.... life is too short to have that limit.

oh and the GT4 is the new GT3 argument....
price wise GT4 is similar to 2004 6gt3
i track gT3 and races cayman
they dont drive the same.
each has forte. it's not one or another.....

when i goto dinner, i order ALL the appetizers and ALL the desserts. no, i am not kidding. why limit your horizon.

chill and drive.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

my take on what was said on the whole manual transmission thing is that Porsche gave the GT4 a manual to maintain the manual image and to shut up the masses. And future models with still see manual options. Perhaps not the GT3, but they will have cars with manuals if that is what you want.... caymans, carrera etc..

I do not think we will see a new manual GT3 for a long time or at least until the automanual is played out amongst manufactures. (if that day ever comes) Once manufacturers start to notice their sales drop on automanuals, they might offer the "slower" manual transmission as a "nostalgia" marketing tool.
Imagine ferrari and porsche making a manual only GT car in the future. It could happen if the automanual sceene fizzles out.

In regards to 997GT3 values, it will take more then a manual tranny in the next GT3 to affect the 997 market....

the 997GT3 is the last "classic" 911. It is a simple car when compared to the 991GT3.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ and you should stop hogging all the 7GT/RS!
and leave me some 964 too
Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

GT4 is the new GT3 in spirit because of cost simple and manual.

But it will never drive like a 911 from the analogue era.
997 is the last analogue one but if you want the real pure 911 feel you need 964.

A OEM .1 GT3(RS) is now 8 years old on a 10 year old platform and starts to feel a bit clunky. But that's OK because all classics do and the 997 is a classic 10 years ahead of the game. In my hands is feels like a faster bigger heavier 964. Same thing.

If you love 997GT3 you need to be buying 964's now.
I'll be hunting for a 997 as soon as a next market collapses.

Not sure if I would even pick a 991Manual if available any more, I will find out in 6 months.
It's not that kind of car anymore. Different way of fun on the track and compared to anything else with warranty still king of the track I think, both in driving pleasure and lap time. Next model will be TT, hybrid etc. Etc. I can't see anyone being able to turn off the nannies on those anymore. The 991RS can still be completely "off".

The GT4 gives you that fun track toy with warranty car for not much money, but I'm not sold over getting it over a well setup 964 for example because I don't love mid engine. Yet.

Going to Atlanta next week to drive CaymanS to get a feel for OEM manual.
I suspect the GT4 to be GT3.1 like, except no 911 feel and a bit tamed until the GT4RS arrives. Than off course there is the issue of fitting in a Cayman.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 05-24-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I'd like to see what the manual gearbox would be for these new cars. Because the current manual is a repacked PDK box and it shows. Just because a car has 3 pedals doesn't mean it's good.

This. The current 991 Aisin gearbox is no great engineering feat. It is a cost saving attempt at the expense of performance and feel. While the little black box is an interesting piece of engineering, I think the whole approach half baked. Let's hope this new gt3 gets a proper h-pattern box. Even the 997 Aisin would be acceptable. That's actually a nice gearbox.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ do NOT listen to this dutchman.
964 is pos
sell yours to me. i do what i can to help you get ride of it.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ do NOT listen to this dutchman.
964 is pos
sell yours to me. i do what i can to help you get ride of it.
I'm not Dutch, but I agree on the 964. But your now before Magnus grabs them all.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Matt u posted faster than i did

Dutchman is "trakcar" and we all
know he's crazy
Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
It is going to happen. And yes the bubble on 997 manuals will come to an abrupt end. Glad I sold my 2010 GT3 when I did!!
What I have been saying all along. The bigger question though that can never be answered is "Would have the market gone up like it did if the stop sale never have happened in the first place"?

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 05-29-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

starting to see some sense but amazingly its coming from the most inflicted- Trakcar and mooty!??
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ the drugs are starting to work....
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Haven't been drinking.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yet...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
For me, and perhaps some others on here, the lack of a manual trans on the 991 version isn't the only reason that the 997 versions are more desirable. It's what the 997's DON'T have...

1.) Size. Bigger isn't necessarily better.

2.) The Panamera-inspired interior. On a GT3?

3.) The 9A1 engine, which lacks top-level motorsports cred. Rolex GX and Continental Tire Challenge GS classes aren't exactly top level, IMO.

4.) Rear wheel steering.

5.) Electric power steering

6.) 20" wheels. Probably needed because of 1.)

7.) More intrusive nannies

I'll omit the connecting rod bolt / engine fire issue because that has become old news. It's sad that some of those cars that had engine replacements now have branded titles. That makes no sense and besmirches the GT3 image.

Please understand that I'm not dissing the 991 version. If that one floats your boat, great. Yes, I have driven one. My point is that it's not all about PDK-only. There is a certain type of Porsche enthusiast that embraces the rawness and "special-ness" of what is marketed as the street version of a motorsports car. The Sport Purpose equipped 911's, the air-cooled RS Porsches, including the 2.7. 3.0 and the 964 and 993 RS versions which weren't offered here thanks to D.C. politicians. The 996 GT3 was as close as we got here. The 997 GT3's were less hardcore but still very involving machines as compared to a normal 997.

With all that said, I also understand marketing and the concept of profit. And I understand that Porsche's target GT3 customer is markedly different than it used to be...kudos to them for understanding what their buyer wants at the price point they are demanding. It's just sad that they refuse to offer a properly sized, decontented version for the Porsche enthusiasts who remember how much fun a lightweight, stripped-down Porsche can be.

The Cayman GT4 is a step in the right direction but why not 400+ HP so it can be taken seriously by the hardcore guys? Because these guys are no longer the target market! The hardcore guys have to buy a GT4 or GT3 or GT3RS and spend $20K or more in upgrades to turn it into what they want/need it to be.

Rant over, hopefully I didn't seriously offend anyone here as I was just expressing a dissenting opinion.
and the electric parking brake
Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

f4 plt, in the aircraft world, I imagine that a Phantom is more engaging to fly than a Raptor even though the Raptor is the faster machine.

Pilot "engagement" may explain why many former military pilots love flying the old WWII warbirds.

How about thee analogies?...

'73 911RS = P-51 Mustang

930 Turbo = F-86 Sabre

964RS = F-101 Voodoo

997 GT3/RS = F-4 Phantom

F-22 Raptor = 991 GT3

I'm Vietnam era ex-military as well (Army Aviation). Thank you for your service.

Quick Reply: Porsche Re-introducing Manual 911 GT3's?