Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about stepping up to a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeesh, I totally hijacked this thread...
Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't daily drive the car. I take it to work maybe twice a month. It's for weekend fun, road trips with the wifey and DE events. I'm running about 5-6 weekend events per year but would always like to do more :-)
Currently I swap in a 996 GT3 seat and Pagids for track events and usually leave them in.
I knew about the coolant fittings and LSD issues.
I realize the car is stiffer and less "streetabable" but I'm concerned with wearing out my C2S.

I guess another option is finding a nice 997.2 GTS and doing some mods to it.

Thanks for the help guys.

AEsco48, might be awhile. Just doing preliminary research to narrow the search. GLWS though.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

don't bother with a gts if you want a gt3. gts is a hopped up 997, the gt3 is a totally different beast.
gt3 is 100% track ready with only necessary (vs. FUN) mods: pinned coolant lines, upgraded diff, rear toe links, brake fluid, pads, good tires, alignment/balance, safety equipment. That's all you NEED.
GTS you'll spend a lot of $ trying to get it to feel and drive like a gt3, and that will be expensive.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I'm in the same boat, except I'm not into track use. I currently have a 997.2 C4S, but I take public transportation to/from work every day, so my desire is for occasional weekend toy. I don't care for Turbos and I hate, er, despise, the 991. I would love to get into a .2GT3 as upgrade for Sunday drive on a sunny day only. Would you guys not recommend? Sounds like, from reading your posts here, that if no track use, GT3 is a waste of $$$. Am I interpreting correctly?
sounds like we are in similar boats. i considered getting a GTS, but knew that i would always feel like i shortchanged myself. and though i likely won't be hitting the track in the GT3, i love taking the GT3 on saturday and sunday drives on fun roads. do you need a GT3 to do that? probably not. but is doing that in a GT3 an awesome experience? YES!

and i think as NAM VET was saying, the DD potential really depends on what you're used to. sure the clutch and suspension are stiff, but i haven't had any issue punting around town in it. in fact, if anything it's made me want to make the clutch in my RS4 stiffer since i feel like i'm going to put my foot through the floor when i go from the GT3 to the RS4!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
don't bother with a gts if you want a gt3. gts is a hopped up 997, the gt3 is a totally different beast.
gt3 is 100% track ready with only necessary (vs. FUN) mods: pinned coolant lines, upgraded diff, rear toe links, brake fluid, pads, good tires, alignment/balance, safety equipment. That's all you NEED.
GTS you'll spend a lot of $ trying to get it to feel and drive like a gt3, and that will be expensive.
What do the toe links do? I've run my car about 4-5 days and it was tracked before I bought it and my diff still appears to be working fine. No floaty feeling under hard braking and it's getting good traction to both wheels on low speed tight corner exits. Maybe it's been replaced before?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:48 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I joined the (996) GT3 club very recently; it is an amazing car. You will not regret getting one; you will regret not getting it sooner.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:13 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
You will not regret getting one; you will regret not getting it sooner.
^^ This

BTW, I love your avatar pic

Last edited by jonwb; 05-22-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: tiepoe
Old 05-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
What do the toe links do?
The issue with the OEM toe links (in the rear) is that they don't hold the toe alignment very well when you track the car hard. Aftermarket links (I use Tarett toe links) are much better at maintaining stable toe.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
What do the toe links do? I've run my car about 4-5 days and it was tracked before I bought it and my diff still appears to be working fine. No floaty feeling under hard braking and it's getting good traction to both wheels on low speed tight corner exits. Maybe it's been replaced before?
Its possible, depending how much car has been tracked in the past. My car had very little track time before I got it, it was good for a dozen or so events then braking got weird and traction issues exiting tight slow corners.

Originally Posted by Jake951
The issue with the OEM toe links (in the rear) is that they don't hold the toe alignment very well when you track the car hard. Aftermarket links (I use Tarett toe links) are much better at maintaining stable toe.
Yes, this.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I'm in the same boat, except I'm not into track use. I currently have a 997.2 C4S, but I take public transportation to/from work every day, so my desire is for occasional weekend toy. I don't care for Turbos and I hate, er, despise, the 991. I would love to get into a .2GT3 as upgrade for Sunday drive on a sunny day only. Would you guys not recommend? Sounds like, from reading your posts here, that if no track use, GT3 is a waste of $$$. Am I interpreting correctly?
definitely not. I went from C2S to .1 GT3 and only use it as a daily driver. won't ever go to a Carrera again....

it is not a problem whatsoever.

never seen the track, because if I did, I might as well start doing heroin too.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
never seen the track, because if I did, I might as well start doing heroin too.
Heroin is cheaper. (so I've heard)
Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Heroin is cheaper. (so I've heard)
probably!!! both just totally addictive
Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To take the other side, the non-GT3 cars can be exceptionally fun on the track. I tracked my 996 C2 for 7 years before making the jump. Unless you think you're better than the car, I wouldn't put yourself in financial distress to get a 3. Coilovers, sways, roll bar, and seats are a lot cheaper than the upgrade. Solid motor mounts and new mufflers can give you half of the raw feel for cheap.

That said, the GT3 is awesome and worth the money.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA
To take the other side, the non-GT3 cars can be exceptionally fun on the track. I tracked my 996 C2 for 7 years before making the jump. Unless you think you're better than the car, I wouldn't put yourself in financial distress to get a 3. Coilovers, sways, roll bar, and seats are a lot cheaper than the upgrade. Solid motor mounts and new mufflers can give you half of the raw feel for cheap.

That said, the GT3 is awesome and worth the money.

Well, this is an option as well. I'm not faster than the car. It's more of a longevity situation. I'm in a 997.1 C2S which has the underlying IMS issue. It's also a street car and as such is under more stress than it was designed for. The Metzger is a pretty tough engine comparatively.

I'm not jumping into anything as of yet but just gathering info. I like the idea of a 996.2 GT3. Although I like the looks inside and out of the 997 cars better, theres something about the rawness of the 996 cars that seems more challenging.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

Just traded in my '06 C2S for an '07 GT3. If you're not going to track the car, keep your 911. If you do trade, consider additional $'s for coolant pipes, after market slip differential, etc. Cost me 11k over and above price of car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about stepping up to a GT3