Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about stepping up to a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Not the first time this discussion has crossed this forum I suspect. I don't have a lot of new material to share. I recently upgraded from a fun and capable '00 Boxster S. I did probably a dozen and a half track days in that car with nothing more than a short shift kit and Pagid Orange pads for upgrades. That humble little car was way faster than it had a right to be. I didn't have to do too many point-by's in the intermediate group (unless it was a fast track like Road America). I have no doubt I'm able to get much closer to the ultimate potential of that car than I'll ever get in the GT3.

I'm amazed by how different the GT3's are compared to 'regular' 996/997 Porsches. Today I was finishing up some work on my Boxster in preparation for its sale. I hadn't run it since I've had my GT3. I was kind of amazed at how smooth it felt. Like a sewing machine back there. So smooth... Where the GT3 is a rough and tumble girl.

For sure, if you're considering a GT3 try and get a ride / drive in one (if you haven't already). I didn't, but I have no regrets as its EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I can't stress how different it is compared to non-GT car. Don't think its just a faster version of your car. (it is, but there's a lot more to it than just that).
Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
Just traded in my '06 C2S for an '07 GT3. If you're not going to track the car, keep your 911. If you do trade, consider additional $'s for coolant pipes, after market slip differential, etc. Cost me 11k over and above price of car.
I do track my current car and hence the desire to move into a car that is better suited to the task. I'm aware of the LSD, Guards seems to be mentioned over and over again with high regard. I'm also aware of the coolant line weakness. My buddy's came loose on the track last year.

What's the difference between "pinned" and "welded"?
I'm assuming that pinned means the lines are secured at an additional location to reduce the stress on the inlets / outlets and welded means additional fittings are welded tin to make them more robust.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pinned means drilled, tapped and a hex head bolt with Loctite used to hold the fitting in place- if it can't move the glue can't fail. It can be done with the engine in the car.

Welded means engine out but is probably the better engineering solution as long as you have a good welder who is very clean and the welds are checked for pin holes after.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:42 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the great thing about the gt3 itch is the limited exposure on loss. these cars just hold their values well. i have yet to find another car like it. i have yet to find another than can take a beating like it. shop smart and drive hard.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As our '07 GT3 with now 27K or so miles sits at Zuffenhaus, done with BBI tubes welded, one of the advantages of welding is that the motor has to come out, but then it makes for much easier replacement of things like the water pump, fuel filter, hoses, belt, plugs, coils, RMS seal, throw-out bearing, and other items. At some mileage, it is appropriate to refresh all these things, so our car is now set up for routine maintenance for some years. Perhaps if an owner were to pay for replacement of most of these things for a pinned car it may approximate the cost to remove the motor.

all the best....
Old 05-31-2015, 09:36 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a recent acquirer of a .1 GT3, you have to ask yourself what gravitates *you* towards a GT3. If you answer your own question, that will probably give you the best possible answer. GT3, as everyone has previously mentioned, is a completely different experience than 997 C2S. It is very close to a 996 GT3, but interior is more modern. It's still a street car, so if you're a driver you will enjoy driving it on the streets. I would caution if you plan on having this as the only car. My search ended when I bought one, and looking back, I feel 100% confident that I made the right choice by going with a .1 GT3 vs TT, 991S, 997 GTS, 996 GT3. Let me end it by saying, nobody ever regretted buying a 997 GT3..
Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 997.1 after I did some "agricultural" driving with my wife's 135i doing DE. She forbade me to use her car again and said, yelled actually: "If you want to get a race car, then go get a race car." Such a liberating feeling. At that point I came right to this forum and bought one from a private owner. The GT3 is, IMHO, 75% for the track and the rest is driving to and from one. It's loud, the Recaro's are bolt upright, the suspension doesn't do well on our pathetic Illinois roads. But, once you're on the track and the tires are warmed up, it's adios muchacho's. It seems to be amenable to big tracks or small ones. Big fun.

Quick Reply: Thinking about stepping up to a GT3