Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 vs 997.2 price delta?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Jlopez55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 vs 997.2 price delta?

I have given up on the chances of upgrading my 2007 gt3 for a .2 RS. Just too much money for me to justify for a car I only drive 2000 miles a year.

I considered a 2010 prior to purchasing my 07, but could not justify the $30k delta for a weekend driven gt3 on the street. But now that an RS is not in the cards I am thinking .2 again.

Is the delta still about $30k today? Where do you guys think values will be several years from now? Will they come closer or go the other way? I probably only drive my gt3 at 7/10s at times, is the .2 even worth it or just purely cosmetic?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:03 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

The .2 has an additional 20 HP (3.8 vs. 3.6), centerlock wheels and an arguably better looking rear spoiler, along with some suspension changes that make it a little more street-friendly.

Is that worth $30K? It isn't to me but YMMV.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,081 Posts

The cars are too similar to change. You can address the suspension for much less than cost to change. That's the real, major difference other than the interior updates on the .2.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The cars are too similar to change. You can address the suspension for much less than cost to change. That's the real, major difference other than the interior updates on the .2.
+ 1

Not sure its worth it. If its a purely mental thing, then have it. If its about performance, then its not worth it. DeputyDog had a .1, lightened it a little, put full exhaust on and a tune, and was right there with the .2's.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:02 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Not worth it.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:59 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the other hand......I just purchased a 2010 and would not have even considered a 2007 despite the difference in costs..and especially since I had driven one years ago. As little as the car is driven...you will likely have better long-term investment potential owning the 997.2...and probably a little more fun and enjoyment of the interior and exterior. I would argue that you should do it!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

both .1 and .2 RS were more money than i wanted to go. bigger engine, "better" PASM and the updated interior and exterior of the .2 GT3 made that the more attractive choice for me. plus, i have an '08 RS4 so needed something newer.

price delta really seems to depend on what deal you can find (and mileage you'll accept), but as some .1 sellers are pushing into the 90k+ range, i'm quite happy with my .2 purchase.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackb911
The .2 has an additional 20 HP (3.8 vs. 3.6), centerlock wheels and an arguably better looking rear spoiler, along with some suspension changes that make it a little more street-friendly.

Is that worth $30K? It isn't to me but YMMV.
Plenty of improvements on the .2 vs the .1, but better looking spoiler is NOT one I'd put on the list. More downforce maybe...

JMO, of course.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquary
Plenty of improvements on the .2 vs the .1, but better looking spoiler is NOT one I'd put on the list. More downforce maybe...

JMO, of course.
LOL...Well. I did say "arguably".

I love the clean, sleek look of the .1 GT3 but I've never cared for the stock biplane rear spoiler from an aesthetic standpoint. The simple wing that came on the 996 GT3 looks great to me, as does the 997.1 RS wing which IMO is as good as if gets for a street Porsche. If it were a bit narrower, that would be an upgrade I would consider, the insane cost notwithstanding. I wouldn't want an aftermarket one.

My previous Porsche was a G50 Carrera that my brother and I turned into a widebody RS 3.0 or IROC-look. But neither of us wanted the whale tail spoiler so we went with a simple ducktail. The original '74 IROC cars were delivered with ducktails but the plus-size whale tails were installed shortly after delivery.

I guess the point of my rambling is that I'm not a fan of busy, overdone spoilers. Again, YMMV. Here's the one I wish I had kept....

Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 AM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think the delta is worth it. And I have a .2.

Street performance: Same
Track performance: .2 wins, but a better driver can negate that and we are not racing anyways so who really cares. Null
Interior: .2 wins now, but in a few years both will be old enough to be in the same category. Null
Wheels: .1 wins
LWFW: .1 wins. This is a big thing. The GT3 with a LWFW feels much better on the street and track to me. And to me changing the .2 to LWFW is questionable at the moment.
Street handling: .2 wins
Roof rack and sunroof: Personal choices. Null.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:43 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor

Track performance: .2 wins, but a better driver can negate that and we are not racing anyways so who really cares. Null
Interior: .2 wins now, but in a few years both will be old enough to be in the same category. Null
LWFW: .1 wins. This is a big thing. The GT3 with a LWFW feels much better on the street and track to me. And to me changing the .2 to LWFW is questionable at the moment.
Possibly the only unbiased opinion I've read so far and he has a .2.

The following is biased:

I have a .1 with the right interior accessories for my personal taste. The .2s with no accessories don't come close and most of the others are over accessorized. Here in SoCal I use the sunroof all year. Beats the hell out of listening to the fine exhaust notes through open windows with air buffeting. Also, quite pleased with the "common" wheels and their simplicity, although the CLs on a .2 look better. The rear wing was the only thing I didn't much care for at first. After 4 years I have grown to like the sculpted shape.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you talking RS or regular GT3? I thought only the RS has the LWFW, do .1 regular GT3's have one too?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Are you talking RS or regular GT3? I thought only the RS has the LWFW, do .1 regular GT3's have one too?
Only the RS came stock with the LWFW, but some like to convert their GT3 to LWFW (removes about 20 pounds of rotating mass from the engine for better throttle response, accompanied by much more noise and vibration). The .1 has been much more reliable with the conversion to LWFW than the .2, which needs the additional expense of updated actuators and/or harmonic dampener to prevent the actuator bolts from backing out.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Just in relation to the regular GT3.

I've driven a couple of .1 GT3s with the LWFW conversion and the 3.6 engine just revs up much nicer. Somehow more in tune with the spirit of this style of car.

.2 cars can be converted but by the time you do the other stuff to make it work, its diminished returns in my eye. I just had mine opened up for the coolant lines and decided to keep the stock flywheel and clutch.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:17 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grizfish
Possibly the only unbiased opinion I've read so far and he has a .2.

The following is biased:

I have a .1 with the right interior accessories for my personal taste. The .2s with no accessories don't come close and most of the others are over accessorized. Here in SoCal I use the sunroof all year. Beats the hell out of listening to the fine exhaust notes through open windows with air buffeting. Also, quite pleased with the "common" wheels and their simplicity, although the CLs on a .2 look better. The rear wing was the only thing I didn't much care for at first. After 4 years I have grown to like the sculpted shape.
Well put. I had pretty much the same thoughts on the wings. Neither the .1 or .2 wings were outstanding for me and I've actually become more of a fan of the .1 wing. The tacky badging on the .2 wing wasn't at all to my taste. I saw centerlocks as a definite problem for me and 5 bolt is so much more user-friendly, and reliable, etc.. Using the car as a highway driver, I also enjoy the sunroof and there's no penalty there for performance for me. You just can't extract all of what either the .1 or .2 is capable of on the street anyways. When I was shopping I found the best car to do what I wanted at a price I could live with ( so glad that was two years ago and not now). Can't see a reason to change to a .2 now,especially with the price differential and the fact that I know what I have in my car with two years of ownership under my belt. IMO a lot of this is about personal taste and budget, with performance differences not being as significant.

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs 997.2 price delta?