Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Past Weekend at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, please do! There are a lot of track days at the Ridge and it's a fun track. Shay and I will be there on 5/8 at a day organized by Cantrell Motorsports and then again on 5/9 with our local PCA region.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
If I make it up to The Ridge I'll definitely give you a heads up.
Cheers!

- curt

(Yes, I'm a lucky guy.)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. A friend said the event was poorly run. Have you guys run with drivers edge, edge addicts or bmw at COTA before?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

What did your friend experience that didn't meet expectations? First time at COTA for me.

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Interesting. A friend said the event was poorly run. Have you guys run with drivers edge, edge addicts or bmw at COTA before?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He said the way they staged the run groups was crappy. Fastest cars at the back.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Odd. That's not true.

The order of cars going out on the track was fastest to slowest by laptimes from either a transponder or data acq. They did wrap cars around the back of the paddock, but I saw consistently that the fastest cars went out first in every run group.

Are you sure your friend was at the same event?

Originally Posted by forhamilton
He said the way they staged the run groups was crappy. Fastest cars at the back.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Letting cars out based on lap times at a DE? Never seen that, at least not at any event I've ever attended by multiple organizations.
You just stage at the grid or pitlane. If you believe you're fast you get up front and anyone else who's faster just gets around you.
The organization putting on the event timing cars I thought falls out of the DE parameters?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Letting cars out based on lap times at a DE? Never seen that, at least not at any event I've ever attended by multiple organizations.
You just stage at the grid or pitlane. If you believe you're fast you get up front and anyone else who's faster just gets around you.
The organization putting on the event timing cars I thought falls out of the DE parameters?
Most DE groups we run with out here are the same, faster grind on one side, slower on the other.

This is probably a grey area. In talking with Lockton Insurance on their perspective, timing is allowed as long as it is not a time trial competitive type timing. Some groups I run with do time (transponders) and do it to ensure people are in the RIGHT run groups, and actively move drivers up or down based on the times. This is a safety thing, keeping cars of similar pace together. Some will also line up by times for the same reason.

Once times are posted with speeds ranked, it's considered competitive timing. Those groups I mentioned post times ordered by car number, not speed ranking.

With these groups, the time trials are run at the end of the weekend and ARE competitive with rankings.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on guys! You're acting like 9th graders. Have some fun. Who cares! Enjoy your cars. Perhaps the fast guys in the back could learn a thing or two. Remember you were slow at one time.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LewSF
Come on guys! You're acting like 9th graders. Have some fun. Who cares! Enjoy your cars. Perhaps the fast guys in the back could learn a thing or two. Remember you were slow at one time.
It's not such a big deal about a guy being slow as long as he knows it and he points you by w/o making you check up...it's mostly about awareness and traffic management

Quick Reply: Past Weekend at COTA