Past Weekend at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:54 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Past Weekend at COTA

Hey Guys,

Back home from 3 days of driving COTA with Speed Ventures. What an amazing race track in an incredible city.

What I liked most about COTA was the variety of corners. Some long fast sweepers, very challenging technical sections that link multiple corners and tons of late apex's. Felt like lap after lap there was always somewhere to improve and it really required some intense focus. Also the facilities were incredible. Made for a great 3 days of driving. Plus Speed Ventures ran a really great weekend. I will absolutely be going back next year! Highly suggest everyone else do the same.

Best lap time I was able to do was a 2:32.246 on MPSC2's. First time using those tires. Felt pretty happy about that time compared to other drivers.

And of course Austin is a great city. Ton's of really great restaurants, nice cocktail bars, live music and interesting people.
Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

We were there, too. I agree completely with what you said

It was a well run event by SpeedVentures, the track was challenging and fun plus Austin is a cool place. Shay and I are definitely going back next year!

Here's a couple of pictures of Shay in the RS, heading down the straight and in the esses:

- curt
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Gorgeous shot right there
Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

How was weather? Bummed our trip was 37 and rainy most of the weekend.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Dan,

Great summary. It was a very fun weekend. Nice meeting all.
Curt, thanks for being such a good rabbit for me to chase. You helped me generate my fastest time! You are just so much faster than me thru turns 3-10.
It was so cool to have so many passionate Porsche and specifically GT3 owners there. I learned a ton. Definitely on my list for next year.

I don't know about you guys but my flight home was torture. Spent 6 hours in the plane out of Austin and spent the early morning hours in DFW. Finally got home 12 hours later than originally scheduled!

David
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyb
Best lap time I was able to do was a 2:32.246 on MPSC2's.
Nice job for a first trip to COTA. Glad you enjoyed our playground.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
How was weather? Bummed our trip was 37 and rainy most of the weekend.
Bummer ... For us, it was quite wet Friday morning and a bit wet early Saturday morning, but the rest of the time the track was dry. Having lived some in Texas the weather is iffy in the winter.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Dan,

Curt, thanks for being such a good rabbit for me to chase. You helped me generate my fastest time! You are just so much faster than me thru turns 3-10.
It was so cool to have so many passionate Porsche and specifically GT3 owners there. I learned a ton. Definitely on my list for next year.

I don't know about you guys but my flight home was torture. Spent 6 hours in the plane out of Austin and spent the early morning hours in DFW. Finally got home 12 hours later than originally scheduled!

David
Great to meet you David! Seeing you in my rear view mirror made me "up my game" and I think I did my fastest laps of the weekend with you nearby! I didn't use the AIM much this weekend and didn't get a transponder, so no idea what our lap times were.

Yuck about your flight, we had the Alaska direct flight back to Seattle it was delayed a bit due to headwinds.

I can't WAIT to get back ... Shay (wife) was so excited about the weekend she booked flights and a hotel for F1 yesterday.

- curt
Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Default A couple more pictures

Here's a couple more pictures ...

Spyerx here's one from Friday morning. At this point in the weekend CoTA looked more scary than fun. It did dry up and the temperatures were in the high 80's (humidity was in the 90-95% range).

It was also GREAT to see the Porsche contingent!

- curt
Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Dan,
Great to see that you're still active in the Porsche!

You and I met at an event (I think with POC) at Auto Club Speedway when they were running the infield course over a year ago. I have essentially the same car as you, in white.

It was great chatting with you that day, and I hope to see you at a future event.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The #72 car is my boss. Great driver.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

First session on Friday morning was really sketchy. But it forced me to take it easy and learn the track and line. There are so many corners that it did feel like I was never going to remember was corner comes next!

By our second session there was a dry line and it was A BLAST!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Dan,

David
Bummer! Sorry to hear about the delay!

The flight was only delayed for 45 minutes. Then we flew between two lighting storms. No turbulence and it was extremely beautiful to watch.

Then some woman and I accidentally switched bags (Identical suit cases) Imagine my confusion when I reached into my bag to get my house keys and had a hand full of women's under wear!!!! Had to drive back to LAX and switch the bags. Wasn't in bed until 2am.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

First session on Friday morning was really sketchy. But it forced me to take it easy and learn the track and line. There are so many corners that it did feel like I was never going to remember was corner comes next!

By our second session there was a dry line and it was A BLAST!
When we were there in feb we got 3 dry sessions on day 1 out of 3. I found the track pretty easy to learn compared to some others. It just flows so well. Now I'd didn't say master... Just learn :-)

I definitely want to get back again.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:48 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtsm
Bummer ... For us, it was quite wet Friday morning and a bit wet early Saturday morning, but the rest of the time the track was dry. Having lived some in Texas the weather is iffy in the winter.

Great to meet you David! Seeing you in my rear view mirror made me "up my game" and I think I did my fastest laps of the weekend with you nearby! I didn't use the AIM much this weekend and didn't get a transponder, so no idea what our lap times were.

Yuck about your flight, we had the Alaska direct flight back to Seattle it was delayed a bit due to headwinds.

I can't WAIT to get back ... Shay (wife) was so excited about the weekend she booked flights and a hotel for F1 yesterday.

- curt
That's great. It was really nice meeting you and Shay. You're a lucky man! I figure your times were 2:30-32 since my best times were 2:34.xx during that session. That was so much fun. If I make it up to The Ridge I'll definitely give you a heads up.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Bummer! Sorry to hear about the delay!

The flight was only delayed for 45 minutes. Then we flew between two lighting storms. No turbulence and it was extremely beautiful to watch.

Then some woman and I accidentally switched bags (Identical suit cases) Imagine my confusion when I reached into my bag to get my house keys and had a hand full of women's under wear!!!! Had to drive back to LAX and switch the bags. Wasn't in bed until 2am.
Thats funny. Hopefully she was hot.

I was going to try to run with SV at ACS May 23. They will be hosting a day at the track during Bimmerfest. It would be fun to have a Porsche "invasion"! I already know of at least 2 other 991 GT3s who will be there.

Quick Reply: Past Weekend at COTA