Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Maximum departure angle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Maximum departure angle

Going from flat to angled roadway what is the maximum angle a gt3 can approach up and down without bottoming out? Anyone know

Wish I lived in Texas
Old 04-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I live in TX and can't even get out of my driveway without using 2x6's. But I feel your pain, SF must be a nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-18-2021)
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Going from flat to angled roadway what is the maximum angle a gt3 can approach up and down without bottoming out? Anyone know

Wish I lived in Texas
Other than the front lip? Quite a bit actually. Depends on ride height.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Other than the front lip? Quite a bit actually. Depends on ride height.
I backed down driveway of house we were looking at on Sunday and bottomed out the *** of the car - was not pleased

How does one do the math to figure out the max change in angle a GT3 can drive over?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this help?:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ps-please.html
Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a matter of geometric positioning of 4 wheels to let one front lift off ground with roadway inclines/declines.

Many intersections require a quick jog at the dip, then when the trailing front wheel clears the dip and regains contact with the road, a quick jog back. Doesn't take much practice to perfect.

One wheel lifts off ground, or front lip scrapes.

I enter and exit my driveway at 45+ deg.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grizfish
Just a matter of geometric positioning of 4 wheels to let one front lift off ground with roadway inclines/declines. Many intersections require a quick jog at the dip, then when the trailing front wheel clears the dip and regains contact with the road, a quick jog back. Doesn't take much practice to perfect. One wheel lifts off ground, or front lip scrapes. I enter and exit my driveway at 45+ deg.
45 degrees! Holy cow pictures!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
45 degrees! Holy cow pictures!
Ive got my car in and out of the Garage on mission st behind the westfield san francisco, and that is a very nasty incline going in, and decline going out, regardless of which side you enter/exit. No scraping. 45 degrees or if cant get to that, then i get a wheel up in the air as grizfish mentioned. And Im lower than stock height
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

This is more oriented to re-cutting a driveway and what the ideal numbers are to make you not to have to think about it.

If im sea-sawing the steering wheel and cursing for 20 minutes to get out of my driveway it just kills the fun for me
Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

No wonder you're having trouble!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get a KW lift kit- cheaper than redoing a drive and you take it with you every here you go.

I have a terrible drive entrance and even approaching parallel with the F&R wheels just touching the pavement and then turn 90' the front corner hits- my KW V3 4 wheel lift kit save the front and rear every time.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At my house, with a shallow gutter, I filled it with concrete, and use the angled entrance/departure method, and just let the front splitter scrape a bit. I has developed a crack, however, I have re-glued it with super glue, and will eventually have to replace it. For my son's home, since we have not had the time to do the concrete fill on his curb, I have two 2/6 boards, about 6 feet long, and on one end bolted on those aluminum ramp ends that folks use to run ATV's and such onto pickups, bought at Home Depot for about $30 or so, so the upper end has a smooth angle to drive on and off. But some entrances are just too steep for my car to attempt. There are just some places I can't go. Why don't you post a picture of our problem?

All the best...
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 AM
jdmgvs
Intermediate

To get up the driveway: I reverse parallel park and put my rear wheel on the driveway while having the front wheels pointed towards the road, reverse a little more and you should have your front right wheel on the drive way and your rear wheel back off the driveway and on the road. Crank right and you should be able to get up with no scraping. Hope my crappy explanation helps.
To get off:
Rear end exit first 45 degreeish, leave one front wheel on driveway, then drive forward cranking left off the driveway similar to getting up.

My driveway is two cars wide, this method probably not possible with a single wide.

My gt3 is lowered with a cup lip.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 AM
BeakerGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdmgvs
To get up the driveway: I reverse parallel park and put my rear wheel on the driveway while having the front wheels pointed towards the road, reverse a little more and you should have your front right wheel on the drive way and your rear wheel back off the driveway and on the road. Crank right and you should be able to get up with no scraping. Hope my crappy explanation helps. To get off: Rear end exit first 45 degreeish, leave one front wheel on driveway, then drive forward cranking left off the driveway similar to getting up. My driveway is two cars wide, this method probably not possible with a single wide. My gt3 is lowered with a cup lip.
...aaaaaaannnnd this is why I had the TechArt lift kit on the car whilst the SW 3.9 upgrade is taking place...because my sanity is worth more than $6K. YMMV.

Oh, that and now my car is twinsies with Joe Rogan
Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't calculated my wife's GT3, but my 996 Cup is 4.7 degrees approach angle straight on. I'll go measure the GT3...

Quick Reply: Maximum departure angle