Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

To strip or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
cup requires 100 oct that's one thing and you'd have to alter full suspension setup to drive on non-slicks (rake, etc) Driven like for like they should be maintained like for like Most people don't maintain their street gt3 like for like race car, even when driving with slicks and at near or the same speeds as a race car. That's an issue.
I run 100 or 95 on track anyway

Not huge change over to run non slicks its a cup car so suspension adjustable

I just always hear these prices to DE a cup car and it baffles me

Make the comparison apples to apples and I can't see it being materially different, I think inheriant issue is people don't keep it apples to apples (slicks, track side support, actually time out components) and wonder how the price went so high

This is all conjecture as I don't own a cup so I could also just be 100% wrong too
Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
i had a good list from someone with/had one, but can't find it. Mainly:
--track support (labor)
--deferred funds per hour for engine, tranny, suspension, axle time-outs
--general maintenance per event (oil/tranny/alignments/etc)
--pads/rotors
--tires

If i recall total it was closer to 3k/day (which with typical DE is about 1.5k/hr). Full on completive top level PCA / POC club racing goes higher.
Thanks, that does round it out as to running costs at the track.
Track support is a key factor in that equation.
I'll run a fuel mix (50/50) of 110 leaded and 93 pump (has worked out pretty nice with tuning done but Champion) and that'll add up over a two day event w/ 10 thirty min. sessions.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I have had two cups
I cannot afford either
I have drug, vinyl, watch, women and other unmentionable habits. I have never burn thru cash faster. we can debate all day. but it's ur money. just buy one and see how long ur bank acct can last. seriously.

and I'm not faint of heart. I buy tires ten set at a time. if u want to run cup correctly start wipe ur nose with Benjamin's.

too many issues to discuss. take me to Michelin restaurant in Vegas. and I'll tell u what u want to know. dinner is 400'per head that's ur cup consultation fee. get used to it. bc they keep adding up.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

My fave at Vegas is Joel Robuchon at the MGM Grand. Try the 16 course prefix menu. Expensive but damn it's delish. I'm at awe when they show up with their bread cart!!!! Mike
Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Also Race cars are typically driven harder than your standard DE/Tweener.. Subsequently **** breaks and needs replaced more often.. Then you start racing the race car and the expenses go up even more.. (Car gets driven even harder).

^^^ That I feel is where the Cup/Hr figure comes in. Suddenly Tires that are only off .75 sec are now ****. Where as you would've driven them another 2-5 days in DE land..
Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Also Race cars are typically driven harder than your standard DE/Tweener.. Subsequently **** breaks and needs replaced more often.. Then you start racing the race car and the expenses go up even more.. (Car gets driven even harder).

^^^ That I feel is where the Cup/Hr figure comes in. Suddenly Tires that are only off .75 sec are now ****. Where as you would've driven them another 2-5 days in DE land..
This. You can run a Cup just as cheaply as a GT3. Most simply don't because a Cup is overkill for most DE environments which means you see them most often in their native territory: racing. In racing you start spending $$$ to cover tenths of a second, just like the tire example, but also with more frequent engine work because losing 5hp suddenly matters, etc...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The real race car should offer better safety features of the full cage as well- which was the other angle at the stripping of my car. I'm not in a position to have two GT3s at the moment (like Mooty's strippers)... but perhaps something without the Porsche heritage and sticker price that still comes with lap times and enhanced safety features.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
The real race car should offer better safety features of the full cage as well- which was the other angle at the stripping of my car. I'm not in a position to have two GT3s at the moment (like Mooty's strippers)... but perhaps something without the Porsche heritage and sticker price that still comes with lap times and enhanced safety features.
M3... I moved from Porsche Race cars to BIMMERS because of operating costs and competitive landscape in different series. I'd love to have a Cayman race car but the entry fee and operating costs don't make up for and potential advantages of running a Cayman Race Car.

M3's have Square tire/wheel set-up. FAST (not GT3 Race car fast. But faster than your street car will get around a track) Cheap (relative) to fix, operate, and very Balanced. If you decide to race they are very, very competitive.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
no question a real race car is safer. I feel far safer in my Miata with a full cage than I do in the porsche with a bolt in half cage
Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Just mount up some slicks

If you want a track only car sell yours (probably get 90k plus) and get mooty's 996 or the one just listed. You'll keep up with your buddies and have money in the bank for more go fast goodies and better rubber.
90K+.....geez, what did I miss over the past couple weeks???
Old 04-18-2015, 03:36 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
My fave at Vegas is Joel Robuchon at the MGM Grand. Try the 16 course prefix menu. Expensive but damn it's delish. I'm at awe when they show up with their bread cart!!!! Mike
i will be there next week. kids already talking about bread cart and dessert cart.

Originally Posted by 007DT

right on. that's why i always say there is no apple to apple comparison b/c u cant. and if u drive a cup like a DE car, you shouldn't be in a cup. some run take offs. i did... guess what. once you use fresh slicks, there aint no going back. it's like putting on condom from last week.. yew....

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This. You can run a Cup just as cheaply as a GT3. Most simply don't because a Cup is overkill for most DE environments which means you see them most often in their native territory: racing. In racing you start spending $$$ to cover tenths of a second, just like the tire example, but also with more frequent engine work because losing 5hp suddenly matters, etc...
yes, lap 3-10 of new stickers are like grip of god. you can do no wrong.
then it's just down hill.
and after a while, you crave for that grip.. .you put on new slicks.

oh, tighter gearing, more shifting. more likely to mishift and blow things up. that SHOULD be in your budget.

and due to gearing, you are at redline more often than street GT3. so engine wear out faster.

many ppl shortshift, a concept i do not understand.....
and if you dont short shift, you are at red line A LOT. things wear out.

it is hard to fathom why cup cost more. just go buy one and you will then believe me.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i will be there next week. kids already talking about bread cart and dessert cart.

right on. that's why i always say there is no apple to apple comparison b/c u cant. and if u drive a cup like a DE car, you shouldn't be in a cup. some run take offs. i did... guess what. once you use fresh slicks, there aint no going back. it's like putting on condom from last week.. yew....

yes, lap 3-10 of new stickers are like grip of god. you can do no wrong.
then it's just down hill.
and after a while, you crave for that grip.. .you put on new slicks.

oh, tighter gearing, more shifting. more likely to mishift and blow things up. that SHOULD be in your budget.

and due to gearing, you are at redline more often than street GT3. so engine wear out faster.

many ppl shortshift, a concept i do not understand.....
and if you dont short shift, you are at red line A LOT. things wear out.

it is hard to fathom why cup cost more. just go buy one and you will then believe me.
Also

If u think u are good at heel toe, try it in a cup...all ur minor mistakes are not tire slip anymore

It is transferred from slicks to the drivetrain and trans

Axles have a short time out, I had one time out at 5 hours( probably defective) .timed out in t1 at Sebring...straight into wall

Bump one into wall...find out what Porsche charges for a replacement bumper on a 996 cup..$7k

There is no street car crash protection...cups just fold up into ball

When I used to track my gt3s i thought the same thing....and I was wrong

My high strung antique with a 25-30 hour engine is over 1/2 the cost of a 996 cup to operate

And we havnt even touched on how sensitive they are to alignment

I still race one...997.2... Just don't own one
Old 04-18-2015, 09:36 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Also

If u think u are good at heel toe, try it in a cup...all ur minor mistakes are not tire slip anymore

It is transferred from slicks to the drivetrain and trans
So true!!

Originally Posted by Izzone
There is no street car crash protection...cups just fold up into ball
This one I don't understand. Cage is great, otherwise the same chassis as the street car.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I have had two cups
I cannot afford either
I have drug, vinyl, watch, women and other unmentionable habits. I have never burn thru cash faster. we can debate all day. but it's ur money. just buy one and see how long ur bank acct can last. seriously.

and I'm not faint of heart. I buy tires ten set at a time. if u want to run cup correctly start wipe ur nose with Benjamin's.

too many issues to discuss. take me to Michelin restaurant in Vegas. and I'll tell u what u want to know. dinner is 400'per head that's ur cup consultation fee. get used to it. bc they keep adding up.
+1000! I use the shop of a racing team (father & son) that have two 991 cup cars, the costs are staggering, and I'm not even adding in the cost of actual cub racing, just maintaining those suckers is insane.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
So true!!

This one I don't understand. Cage is great, otherwise the same chassis as the street car.
he means bumper crash bar
radiator dies
front sub frame bent
u are protected
but front clip is easier damaged than street car

Quick Reply: To strip or not