To strip or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default To strip or not

Hey gang,
An old discussion I'm sure and am contemplating my next steps. Situation is I have a 07 GT3 fairly well setup for DEs. Alignment, LSD, PFC brakes, bar, seats, harness, rear locking plate bits, Sharkwerk bypass, fire suppression.

My race group has several purpose built race cars, all stripped, and setup. Because they have >500lb savings they are just quicker and get a few secs per lap on me. I weighed in at 3410 with 1/8 tank gas and me (180).

Questions-
What can I expect with a reasonable investment- assume cage is needed?
If done correctly how bad does this screw resell?
If an older Cup made sense from a running cost that would be already done/built.

I'm currently just trailering to events BUT using in street from time to time is nice.

Maybe just need a proper race car and out GT3 to stock...
Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

buy mooty 996. It's ready to go.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,696 Likes on 2,341 Posts

if you stripped, no resell
if you tried to put a back after stripped, you are wasting your time.
if you want a cup car, get one. if you are THINKING about a cup, as a multiple cup car owner, i can flat you tell you, you cannot afford it. cup drivers dont think, they just buy, then pay, pay, pay and pay more. but it's fun. NOTHING comes close.
done right? then you need tony cage. thats' 6000 min. if you want int stripped and painted. you seen my hippie, the int paint and cage is over 10k. that's JUST THE PAINT AND CAGE

daniel has a 996gt3. just buy the silver POS in my warehouse and spare yourself the headache.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a race car.

enjoy the gt3 for what it is.
a street car that from time to time it can be taken to the track to be enjoyed.

i'm currently looking at open wheel race car.
Formula mazada/ford/renault.... thanks to kas
Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

I don't think "modding" or "stripping" can be used in the same sentence as "investment".

You spend $5k stripping/track-readying the car today. It'll cost you $15k to revert to stock before you sell. And you'll drive this stripper as if it were a cup. Meaning more wear and tear the whole nine yards. How do I know? Went through two 997s that way and I was too stupid to know it the second time around.

Market for a stripper is extremely limited. A few good guys here have gone through monster 997 track builds only to prove that point down the road.

Like others said, buy a race car if you wanna go exteme...
Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I don't think "modding" or "stripping" can be used in the same sentence as "investment".

You spend $5k stripping/track-readying the car today. It'll cost you $15k to revert to stock before you sell. And you'll drive this stripper as if it were a cup. Meaning more wear and tear the whole nine yards. How do I know? Went through two 997s that way and I was too stupid to know it the second time around.

Market for a stripper is extremely limited. A few good guys here have gone through monster 997 track builds only to prove that point down the road.

Like others said, buy a race car if you wanna go exteme...
^^^^^
THIS.

Once you have a race car all street iterations seem soft..

You'll spend too much money trying to make your car into a race car and still not be there..
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound advice! Thanks for talking me off the operation table- must remind myself that championships don't lead to F1 contracts!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
Sound advice! Thanks for talking me off the operation table- must remind myself that championships don't lead to F1 contracts!
Just mount up some slicks

If you want a track only car sell yours (probably get 90k plus) and get mooty's 996 or the one just listed. You'll keep up with your buddies and have money in the bank for more go fast goodies and better rubber.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

A cup and a GT3 are commonly referred to as close to the same car

Reality is they are apples to oranges

If you are moving to racing..buy something you can afford to plow into the wall and be ok with it..all race cars eventually crash

Operating / maintaining a cup is $5k an hour for a 997..not including wading it up..and they cost a small fortune to fix

That being said, cups are fun..but slower older cars are fun too. I have the privilege of racing both..but I only own an old car
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Just mount up some slicks If you want a track only car sell yours (probably get 90k plus) and get mooty's 996 or the one just listed. You'll keep up with your buddies and have money in the bank for more go fast goodies and better rubber.
Mount up slicks

That's an easy way to prematurely wear out a perfectly good street car suspension

Street cars belong on street tires
Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Buy a full race car instead
Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
A cup and a GT3 are commonly referred to as close to the same car

Reality is they are apples to oranges

If you are moving to racing..buy something you can afford to plow into the wall and be ok with it..all race cars eventually crash

Operating / maintaining a cup is $5k an hour for a 997..not including wading it up..and they cost a small fortune to fix

That being said, cups are fun..but slower older cars are fun too. I have the privilege of racing both..but I only own an old car
I have never understood this. If you drive a 996 cup (with no sequantial gearbox) and run same tires, same brakes as you would in a 997.1 GT3 (in fact the calipers, rotors and pads are all the same as the 997.1) how can it be more expensive.

996 cup is lighter so it'll chew like for like pads and tires slower

People who say this I find are in one of two camps
1. They went from warranty GT3 to Cup and also went from NT01s to slicks and racing
2. They dont actually time out wheel bearings and other **** on GT3 they should be

What am I missing here? If you pound on a GT3 street car why shouldnt it be precisely the same cost?

If you actually do apples to apples cost here I would imagine 996 cup is cheaper
Old 04-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

cup requires 100 oct that's one thing and you'd have to alter full suspension setup to drive on non-slicks (rake, etc)

Driven like for like they should be maintained like for like

Most people don't maintain their street gt3 like for like race car, even when driving with slicks and at near or the same speeds as a race car. That's an issue.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:46 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Considering the cost of new slicks (approx 2K per set), race fuel and maybe brakes what else factors in the estimated cost of 5K per hr to run a Cup car?
Interested to know.

Ranger
Old 04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Considering the cost of new slicks (approx 2K per set), race fuel and maybe brakes what else factors in the estimated cost of 5K per hr to run a Cup car?
Interested to know.

Ranger
i had a good list from someone with/had one, but can't find it. Mainly:
--track support (labor)
--deferred funds per hour for engine, tranny, suspension, axle time-outs
--general maintenance per event (oil/tranny/alignments/etc)
--pads/rotors
--tires

If i recall total it was closer to 3k/day (which with typical DE is about 1.5k/hr). Full on completive top level PCA / POC club racing goes higher.

Quick Reply: To strip or not