Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

looks like my game of chicken with the dealer isn't going to work out

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
It wasn't the 11k, it was the feeling of being *** raped for a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted that stopped me
I think you made the right choice. We all have our needs and wants when it comes to vehicles. I decided against three GT3's before I bought mine...and its not entirely what I wanted...but we all settle at some point. No car will be perfect as it will have been spec'd by someone else. You'll know it when you find that car you're willing to settle for.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Cream
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJRickD
It wasn't the 11k, it was the feeling of being *** raped for a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted that stopped me
I think whoever bought it overpaid significantly.. Even at $11k short, I think you would of overpaid. GT3s are not that rare
Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you want RS, find the one you want, and pay whatever it takes, b/c the price will keep going up. the lower mile cars wil not only go up price but go up logarithmically

gt3 is bargain of the moment, in 6 months they will behave just like RS

dont plan on econ popping. when it does 95% of the ppl are hurting. dont be so sure you will be the 5%!
Mooty a log distribution is relatively flat. Did you mean exponentially? lol
Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I've never won a game of anything with a car dealer...there's a reason they have the $20M facility and I don't I guess!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Mooty a log distribution is relatively flat. Did you mean exponentially? lol
yes, i meant its inverse F(x)
u r correct!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Unlike standard production type cars, "specialty" type sport cars are obviously different when you're negotiating price. Asking price vs what you believe the value to be are usually mutually exclusive especially if your insistant on getting a bargain and\or negotiating with a dealer. Think of the time you'll be without having the enjoyment of ownership when possibly, at a later date, you'll succumb to paying a higher amount in the the end anyway. Happen to me on a different brand of GT, I held out 2 stubburn years simply because I got 'invested' in the negotiating process and convincing myself the seller would come down. Prices continued rising and I ended up buying the same car at $30k more than where we started. Missed two years of enjoyment AND paid 25% more!!

So I learned: If you like it, can afford it, buy it, enjoy it. I've never had the experience of receiving more money than I spent on a car so I really don't get the logic of purchasing a car with the mindset of 'what will I be able to sell it for' or 'the price is too high because when I go to sell it....'. Other than selling the "investment" logic to the wife, I find it odd to be looking at price from that viewpoint and more from "what is that car worth to me". If you want to practice and hone your negotiating skills then go down the Jewelry Mart with the wife and negotiate away on a diamond ring, now that's a challenge and a win\win for everyone!

Another viewpoint I have (like anyone cares....) is leave the profit making to the people that do that as a living and don't begrudge them for making a profit. I'm in a non-car related occupation that affords me the ability to live my car dreams so I stick to what I know. I make way more return on my money working what I know than I could ever do negotiating or investing in cars. Negotiating is a good thing but don't let that dominate your decision, rather, pay what the car is worth to you then drive the **** out of it, look at it, polish it, do what ever thrills you. It's worth it!
SMART
Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For every purchase, there is a price that just makes it too expensive to acquire the item or experience, be it a gourmet hamburger or a car. I wanted a Cobra since i first read about them, and saw them in the mid '60's. Back then I did not have the $4K it took to buy a used one, nor the $10K a few years later, when school and family were a priority. Even when I came back from Vietnam with about $8K in savings, and could have walked into any dealership and bought a new 'Vette, I had to drive my VW for years because I had by then career and academic goals and plans. As time passed, I kept trying to find a way to get if not an original Cobra, then a good replica. Decades came and went, but eventually I did get a fine Replica, a Superformance Version, and was able with the help of the race shop, make it into a good track and road car, and enjoyed it enough to drive it daily for a decade and over 140K miles.

As for the thoughts on negotiating for a specialty car, in '78, when i was then a new intern I found the Original 289 Cobra Dragonsnake in a sports car dealership, and tried to figure out a way to buy it, but it was just outside of my range, I can't recall now, maybe it was $7 or $8 thousand. Now, being the only drag Cobra Carroll Shelby ever made, and holder of many drag records, it is priceless.

As for GT3 prices, when we got ours last fall, it was at the absolute max I could convince my wife to acquire, selling a 997S and adding some thousands to the cost. I don't know, but I suppose it is worth at least what we paid for it last year. Rare for a car to do that.

At last, back in the late '60's, the used up Cobra Daytona's, the championship cars from Le Mans, the ones that beat Ferrari, were for sale for about $7K, and I just didn't have the money then when I read the add for them in the back of Road & Track Magazine. Now, they are Million dollar cars.

I have always put family first, then my career goals, and eventually it has all worked out for me.

All the best...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

150k to 200k for a 997 GT3 RS is INSANE to me.

Just way too many options at that price point for used sports cars/race cars etc...

That's not a decision that would even enter my mind.

However I'd already own a GT2 (that's the bargain cool p car) if I didn't pay 4 percent prop tax EACH year in the state of VA

Last edited by Fritz Flynn; 04-15-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
150k to 200k for a 997 GT3 RS is INSANE to me.

Just way too many options at that price point for used sports cars/race cars etc...

That's not a decision that would even enter my mind.

However I'd already own a GT2 (that's the bargain cool p car) if I didn't pay 4 percent prop tax EACH year in the state of VA
For under 200k what would you rather have that is as cheap to maintain and practical?

I mean you don't want a mclaren. They depreciate at the speed of an asteroid coming down to Earth.

Lambo gallardo from 08 can be had for under 170k. A F430 07 could be had for 160k.

IMO I rather have a 991 GT3 RS or a 997 GT3 RS over all 3 of those cars.

Or if you wanted something new and exotic an r8 v10 could be had under 200k. But again a 991 GT3 RS would kill it. Granted you could get a new turbo S too. There really isn't much competition for under 200k.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
For under 200k what would you rather have that is as cheap to maintain and practical?

I mean you don't want a mclaren. They depreciate at the speed of an asteroid coming down to Earth.

Lambo gallardo from 08 can be had for under 170k. A F430 07 could be had for 160k.

IMO I rather have a 991 GT3 RS or a 997 GT3 RS over all 3 of those cars.

Or if you wanted something new and exotic an r8 v10 could be had under 200k. But again a 991 GT3 RS would kill it. Granted you could get a new turbo S too. There really isn't much competition for under 200k.
Again the bargain garage ornament is a the 997 GT2. So if I wanted to garage/store, insure and pay tax on a high dollar car I'd go GT2.

Even if I bought a 200k RS to sit and appreciate I wouldn't make any money when paying 4% prop tax, ins and lost opportunity on 200k each year.

Bottomline: The car collecting thing is just way above my pay grade. My decisions are still based upon dollars and cents

PS if you want a track car only you do what I did and get a 996 which may even appreciate more than the current inflated 997 price over the next ten years and you don't feel guilty driving it.

PSS if you just want something to smoke the 991 buy a viper or corvette
Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again the bargain garage ornament is a the 997 GT2. So if I wanted to garage/store, insure and pay tax on a high dollar car I'd go GT2.

Even if I bought a 200k RS to sit and appreciate I wouldn't make any money when paying 4% prop tax, ins and lost opportunity on 200k each year.

Bottomline: The car collecting thing is just way above my pay grade. My decisions are still based upon dollars and cents

PS if you want a track car only you do what I did and get a 996 which may even appreciate more than the current inflated 997 price over the next ten years and you don't feel guilty driving it.

LOL, I like the way you think.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:55 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GT3RS prices are elevated right now, but in a few years time might seem like a bargain. I like NAM VET's interpretation of this situation.

Those of us who got into a 6 GT3 about 4 years ago when prices bottomed out are seeing a nice increase today. Same with the 964. I think a majority of us purchased without the intention of collecting.

You made the right choice. I say that not due to price difference, but because your gut led the way.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's a low optioned 2010 GT3 that looks dirt cheap in this market, if all checks out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...-/281664637097

I think it belongs to a member here.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I looked into both viper and corvette. The viper is beautiful and the interior is nice. It also drives very nicely. But that thing is a bitch to see out of. Literally the roof comes down right in front of your eyes. You have to slouch in the chair to see out the front, forget about the sides. I DD my car so I couldn't get it. But a TA at 100k is an amazing deal for that car.

The corvette is much more practical. But, I'm not paying MSRP on that car or even near it. Those things drop 15k from the dealer after year 1. So dumb to pay any price more than a 7-9k discount. Also the interior isn't really anything great. It is much better but still. Also the porsche just feels like billet. It feels like a real drivers car.

I rather have a GT3 or an RS over any of these american cars even though they are faster. Idk, they just feel better in the long term. And by long term I mean after 1 year. The new corvette may change there since it is all aluminum.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Here's a low optioned 2010 GT3 that looks dirt cheap in this market, if all checks out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...-/281664637097

I think it belongs to a member here.
There are a few at the 112k price range. The ones asking crazy numbers are high option like under 5k mile cars. The ones above 10k miles are not asking high numbers.

Quick Reply: looks like my game of chicken with the dealer isn't going to work out