Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

looks like my game of chicken with the dealer isn't going to work out

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks like my game of chicken with the dealer isn't going to work out

Was trying to negotiate with my local dealer on a low mileage car. He wanted an outrageous number, I gave him what I thought was a fair number, he came down quite a bit but we were still 11k apart and he wasn't moving. I walked because it wasn't my perfect car, but I have to say it was close. Fast forward 5 weeks and I sent him an email saturday night asking if he wanted to meet in the middle since the car has been there for 2 months and got his response today that there is a sale pending. I might regret this one but I just wasn't comfortable with what I felt was really overpaying for this thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Link to car in question?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
Sorry to hear that. Link to car in question?
it's the white one with the 160k asking
Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I've seen it listed. Very nice car! But you will be paying a hefty premium on a sub 2K mile car if you plan on driving it. If it will sit in the garage then the price isn't terrible, considering the current market. There isn't another car like it for sale right now, which is why they've priced it "outrageously." And the thing is, in the short term you won't lose money on it as long as you don't put miles on it. Long term who knows.

The current situation is weird. Right now I wouldn't buy an RS car if I planned to drive it. Pricing is way out of my comfort level... Plane Jane GT3 is still somewhat affordable. Who knows for how long...

Good luck with the search!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

I've seen it listed. Very nice car! But you will be paying a hefty premium on a sub 2K mile car if you plan on driving it. If it will sit in the garage then the price isn't terrible, considering the current market. There isn't another car like it for sale right now, which is why they've priced it "outrageously." And the thing is, in the short term you won't lose money on it as long as you don't put miles on it. Long term who knows.

The current situation is weird. Right now I wouldn't buy an RS car if I planned to drive it. Pricing is way out of my comfort level... Plane Jane GT3 is still somewhat affordable. Who knows for how long...

Good luck with the search!
Thanks, the search continues….
Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,696 Likes on 2,341 Posts

if you want RS, find the one you want, and pay whatever it takes, b/c the price will keep going up. the lower mile cars wil not only go up price but go up logarithmically

gt3 is bargain of the moment, in 6 months they will behave just like RS

dont plan on econ popping. when it does 95% of the ppl are hurting. dont be so sure you will be the 5%!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

This car was originally for sale at Porsche of North Houston for $129 and could of been had for $125. Then Porsche of Main Line PA bought it and immediately jacked the price to $160. POML offered it to me for $145. For $160-170 I can get an RS or a Scud, so I passed. In fact for $145 I can get Superlegga Gallardo with a manual.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTK
This car was originally for sale at Porsche of North Houston for $129 and could of been had for $125. Then Porsche of Main Line PA bought it and immediately jacked the price to $160. POML offered it to me for $145. For $160-170 I can get an RS or a Scud, so I passed. In fact for $145 I can get Superlegga Gallardo with a manual.
LOL even before the car was posted for sale here, one of the sales at Porsche of North Houston contacted me and offered the car for 121k.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

The current situation is weird. Right now I wouldn't buy an RS car if I planned to drive it.
I wonder when I should stop tracking mine...
Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM
p0pey
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

San Antonio, TX Porsche dealership has a 2011 GT3 with front axle lift listed at $125k
Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I wonder when I should stop tracking mine...
To each his own. Tracking an RS is out of my comfort zone at this point. GT3, not yet.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Simple math...you wanted your 11K more than you wanted the car. Now you know your limits. It's always good to find out how much you're willing to pay for a vehicle.....now you have a good starting point to shop. I'd say stay away form a SCUD...having put 9K miles on mine...it'll beat you up...not good for about 150 miles before you have to get out and take a break.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unlike standard production type cars, "specialty" type sport cars are obviously different when you're negotiating price. Asking price vs what you believe the value to be are usually mutually exclusive especially if your insistant on getting a bargain and\or negotiating with a dealer. Think of the time you'll be without having the enjoyment of ownership when possibly, at a later date, you'll succumb to paying a higher amount in the the end anyway. Happen to me on a different brand of GT, I held out 2 stubburn years simply because I got 'invested' in the negotiating process and convincing myself the seller would come down. Prices continued rising and I ended up buying the same car at $30k more than where we started. Missed two years of enjoyment AND paid 25% more!!

So I learned: If you like it, can afford it, buy it, enjoy it. I've never had the experience of receiving more money than I spent on a car so I really don't get the logic of purchasing a car with the mindset of 'what will I be able to sell it for' or 'the price is too high because when I go to sell it....'. Other than selling the "investment" logic to the wife, I find it odd to be looking at price from that viewpoint and more from "what is that car worth to me". If you want to practice and hone your negotiating skills then go down the Jewelry Mart with the wife and negotiate away on a diamond ring, now that's a challenge and a win\win for everyone!

Another viewpoint I have (like anyone cares....) is leave the profit making to the people that do that as a living and don't begrudge them for making a profit. I'm in a non-car related occupation that affords me the ability to live my car dreams so I stick to what I know. I make way more return on my money working what I know than I could ever do negotiating or investing in cars. Negotiating is a good thing but don't let that dominate your decision, rather, pay what the car is worth to you then drive the **** out of it, look at it, polish it, do what ever thrills you. It's worth it!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJRickD
it's the white one with the 160k asking
You made the right move. JMHO
Old 04-14-2015, 02:35 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Originally Posted by LewSF
Simple math...you wanted your 11K more than you wanted the car. Now you know your limits. It's always good to find out how much you're willing to pay for a vehicle.....now you have a good starting point to shop. I'd say stay away form a SCUD...having put 9K miles on mine...it'll beat you up...not good for about 150 miles before you have to get out and take a break.
It wasn't the 11k, it was the feeling of being *** raped for a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted that stopped me

Last edited by NJRickD; 04-14-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: looks like my game of chicken with the dealer isn't going to work out