Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3 is the car I've been searching for my whole life

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
GT3 is about 80% of new MSRP right now if you're being generous. You are comparing mass produced cars to limited production cars. My last two cars actually held value as well the GT3. Elise was around 40K new in 05. I sold mine 2 years ago for 32K, now it's climbed back up to about 37-38K for a clean one. 2010 GT-R was around 81K new, sold it nearly 5 years later for 64K. If you want to talk about limited production cars, the 2005 Ford GT blows the GT3 out of the water for resale price. 20 year old E30 M3's are bringing 50K, BMW 1M coupes with low miles are trading hands at or near original MSRP.

Your barking up the wrong tree on appreciation.

My old almost 20 year old 964RS is worth around $300k.... Sold new for close to M3 money in the day. Don't even ask me what my ex 73 RS just sold for... Hurts to think about it. Should have kept 197...Fu?#

I sold around 1 mil in Porsche cars when I got divorced in 2010...My collection today would be worth well over 3 mil... Still worth it. ha ha.

I was going to continue the friendly banter. Then I see you were/ are a GTR/ BMW guy....Your buddies must give you **** for crossing over to the dreaded Porsche side.

You win all Porsche cars are over priced and not fun to drive or reliable. They all should be selling for way less. Crazy Porsche nuts driving up the prices for there own gain.

Let me know what you will actually take for you GT3. I could use another for the AZ house. Better yet trade me for my 09 M3. Plus cash of course.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Well, if you like 911s it is a dream car.

you can tune alot of the understeer out of a 911. The rear traction on exit is somthing you cannot easily tune into a front engine car however....

The steering feel and grip is what does it for my on a 911. The GT3 has it in spades. The engine sound is the bonus.
Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS

My old almost 20 year old 964RS is worth around $300k.... Sold new for close to M3 money in the day. Don't even ask me what my ex 73 RS just sold for... Hurts to think about it. Should have kept 197...Fu?#

I sold around 1 mil in Porsche cars when I got divorced in 2010...My collection today would be worth well over 3 mil... Still worth it. ha ha.

I was going to continue the friendly banter. Then I see you were/ are a GTR/ BMW guy....Your buddies must give you **** for crossing over to the dreaded Porsche side.

You win all Porsche cars are over priced and not fun to drive or reliable. They all should be selling for way less. Crazy Porsche nuts driving up the prices for there own gain.

Let me know what you will actually take for you GT3. I could use another for the AZ house. Better yet trade me for my 09 M3. Plus cash of course.
I have buddies from all sorts of different makes and models of car ownership. You see I like variety so I've owned everything from rotary, I4, V6, I6, Flat 6, V8 cars, rwd, fwd, awd, mid engine front engine, rear engine, turbo, n/a, supercharged etc etc. I buy cars because I like how they drive. If the value goes up that's a bonus.

I feel pretty bad for you poor souls that are so brain washed you think the GT3 is the only thing out there in sports car land. No thanks on the M3 trade, I already have a 2010 M3 but I'll gladly sell you my GT3 right now for 103K which was the original MSRP. It's going to go over that in a few years according to your calculations. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You should just sell your gt3 and get that carbon M. You would be much happier and spare us all your negativity.
Pretty funny from a guy that drives a convertible ZHP.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Why does any of this matter anyways, M? Thread title isn't "The 997 GT3 is the car you've been searching for your whole life." lol

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

I have buddies from all sorts of different makes and models of car ownership. You see I like variety so I've owned everything from rotary, I4, V6, I6, Flat 6, V8 cars, rwd, fwd, awd, mid engine front engine, rear engine, turbo, n/a, supercharged etc etc. I buy cars because I like how they drive. If the value goes up that's a bonus. I feel pretty bad for you poor souls that are so brain washed you think the GT3 is the only thing out there in sports car land. No thanks on the M3 trade, I already have a 2010 M3 but I'll gladly sell you my GT3 right now for 103K which was the original MSRP. It's going to go over that in a few years according to your calculations. Put your money where your mouth is.
Your not selling, your trolling.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I have buddies from all sorts of different makes and models of car ownership. You see I like variety so I've owned everything from rotary, I4, V6, I6, Flat 6, V8 cars, rwd, fwd, awd, mid engine front engine, rear engine, turbo, n/a, supercharged etc etc. I buy cars because I like how they drive. If the value goes up that's a bonus.

I feel pretty bad for you poor souls that are so brain washed you think the GT3 is the only thing out there in sports car land. No thanks on the M3 trade, I already have a 2010 M3 but I'll gladly sell you my GT3 right now for 103K which was the original MSRP. It's going to go over that in a few years according to your calculations. Put your money where your mouth is.
Variety is indeed the spice of life. Every make and model offer a unique experience. I have a handful of Porsches along wth a bunch of other stuff from 1950-2010. I like them all. But the GT3 really does shine. There is a reason why they have crept up in price...
I wouldnt say folks here are brain washed....

If your GT3 has no stories, @ $103k it will be sold in 48 hours from listing. (If it is a .2)
2010 M3, not so much...

Last edited by tcsracing1; 03-20-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS

not that i wanted you to divorce wish you had jeff call me then. 300k for your 964RS. no way, it's way more now. i would even share the profit with ya!

variety is great but after trying all, some find bimmer some find fiat others like prosche to each his own.
i every gen or RX7, 60's mustangs 80's SVO, no vettes yet, fiat 308, 355, 360, 430, every M power car made m3,5, 6 up to
e46. elise exige, boxster cayman, every type of hopped up vW, every vtech honda, acura made, gmc trucks from 1/2 ton to 1 ton dually. minivans, all the real AMG's. many many maserati, astons, even the edgy lagonda pos.... all are cook and nice in their own way, but i like GT3 most. ymmv. no need to rain on others fav.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Variety is indeed the spice of life. Every make and model offer a unique experience. I have a handful of Porsches along wth a bunch of other stuff from 1950-2010. I like them all. But the GT3 really does shine. There is a reason why they have crept up in price...
I wouldnt say folks here are brain washed....

If your GT3 has no stories, @ $103k it will be sold in 48 hours from listing.
2010 M3, not so much...
103... pls guys on RL, lmk if you want 103 GT3's i have a warehouse FULL of them.... last one i sold was 84 and i felt bad... next one i sell will be 100. i also have a bunch of orange green RS... make offers... i dont think 7.1gt are 103 yet. if so, pls buy from me. i need cash to buy the 991RS.

On a serious note, I would love to hear about how to tune understeer out of the GT3. Seems difficult with all the weight in the back and a 70mm tire stagger from the factory. If the car would turn in more crisply immediately it would be much more fun. Can't argue about the engine sound with a muffler bypass.
if you like PM me your alignment, tire etc.
assuing you are doing slow in fast out. what that means is park the fkg car, then speed out the turns.... it shoudn't push. you need to unwind the wheel way way earlier than bmw or gtr. entery the turn 10mph less. on wot as soon as sets upon turn in. the car shoiuld slide drift to the exit berm. toe out front is your front. dont be scare of the rear engine thing. at 5/10 it's easy, at 7-8/10 is hard to drive. at 9/10 it's sublime, at 10/10 it's suicide. if you dont have that feeling, you aren't driving it right or it's not set up well.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

On a serious note, I would love to hear about how to tune understeer out of the GT3. Seems difficult with all the weight in the back and a 70mm tire stagger from the factory. If the car would turn in more crisply immediately it would be much more fun. Can't argue about the engine sound with a muffler bypass.
takes $$

i agree, nothing worse then coming into a hair pin and the car just plows with wheel fully cranked.

But when you tweak the suspension bits you can get it reasonable in a GT3. (Kinda Like a Cup car.)
Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Congratulations to the OP and I truly agree with your great words about the GT3 experience. These cars are all about passion and excitement, and definitely not about pure speed or laptimes. My RS is the last car I'll ever sell, and I'm as giddy about it now as I was 2 years ago when I was lucky enough to acquire it.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 AM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your GT3... It is well known that White GT3's are worth a tenth or more faster than other colors!...
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
You missed the point completely. Under / over steer whatever - it's about how this GT3 makes you feel. All 997.1 owners can relate to the OP's post. He nailed it in words what this car means to us. It's not a perfect car by no means, but nothing comes remotely close to this connection between a human and a machine. It's raw, it's sick and a handful. Welcome to the last raw crazy fast hot rod made by Porsche. All I can say is the right people came together at the right time and did something right on! Blessed to own one.
You betcha ! (especially with a sharky bypass)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
not that i wanted you to divorce wish you had jeff call me then. 300k for your 964RS. no way, it's way more now. i would even share the profit with ya!

variety is great but after trying all, some find bimmer some find fiat others like prosche to each his own.
i every gen or RX7, 60's mustangs 80's SVO, no vettes yet, fiat 308, 355, 360, 430, every M power car made m3,5, 6 up to
e46. elise exige, boxster cayman, every type of hopped up vW, every vtech honda, acura made, gmc trucks from 1/2 ton to 1 ton dually. minivans, all the real AMG's. many many maserati, astons, even the edgy lagonda pos.... all are cook and nice in their own way, but i like GT3 most. ymmv. no need to rain on others fav.

103... pls guys on RL, lmk if you want 103 GT3's i have a warehouse FULL of them.... last one i sold was 84 and i felt bad... next one i sell will be 100. i also have a bunch of orange green RS... make offers... i dont think 7.1gt are 103 yet. if so, pls buy from me. i need cash to buy the 991RS.

if you like PM me your alignment, tire etc.
assuing you are doing slow in fast out. what that means is park the fkg car, then speed out the turns.... it shoudn't push. you need to unwind the wheel way way earlier than bmw or gtr. entery the turn 10mph less. on wot as soon as sets upon turn in. the car shoiuld slide drift to the exit berm. toe out front is your front. dont be scare of the rear engine thing. at 5/10 it's easy, at 7-8/10 is hard to drive. at 9/10 it's sublime, at 10/10 it's suicide. if you dont have that feeling, you aren't driving it right or it's not set up well.
I agree I drive 10/10 and it was scary on street tires. Backed it to 8/10 bit better but not what I call "fun". Gonna try NT01 and go 9/10 with a little more restraint on corner entry like you mentioned and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

hope you have better result with nt-01. stagger camber with at least .5 deg more negative up front. if you have good car control and not afraid rear moving, reduce rear toe.

but do enter turns slower then get on power way way earlier.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:15 AM
hei83
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imo, because of the imperfection, GT3 became my perfect car when I drive it. Give and take, nothing is perfect. When "perfect" happens, life starts getting boring.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hei83
imo, because of the imperfection, GT3 became my perfect car when I drive it. Give and take, nothing is perfect. When "perfect" happens, life starts getting boring.
couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3 is the car I've been searching for my whole life