Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

24,000 Mile Service DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Coil packs are easy when doing plugs. i replaced mine and my non-scientific butt dyno said wow that helped wake car up.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe...7QKBIDMpA.aspx

OEM parts are Beru. Porsche label is 2x. I had both sitting side by side and they are identical including all markings and non-part number identification.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Coil packs are easy when doing plugs. i replaced mine and my non-scientific butt dyno said wow that helped wake car up.

+1.

Its about $300 expense more but well worth it. My car idles much smoother after new coilpacks.

Yup, i'm adding 15 minutes as it is his first time at this rodeo. He will want to see how coilpacks go, inspect the oem coilpacks. Walk to and from counter to get new coilpacks. etc

4-5 hours in leisure speed, not rushing anything.

If you were local you would be more then welcome to use my lift all day Saturday and get acquainted with your car, and touching all her inner parts
Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe...7QKBIDMpA.aspx

OEM parts are Beru. Porsche label is 2x. I had both sitting side by side and they are identical including all markings and non-part number identification.
Why didn't I know this earlier? I changed my plugs but didn't change my coilpacks. How easy or hard just to change coilpacks with exhaust off and car in the air?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Why didn't I know this earlier? I changed my plugs but didn't change my coilpacks. How easy or hard just to change coilpacks with exhaust off and car in the air?
yes, it's easy. but your car is less than 4yrs old so coils are probably fine.
We can do it before FOS if you want. Just need to jack the back end up and take off rear wheels.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard of some clutches faiing in other cars because the driver tended to rest their left foot lightly on the pedal when just driving the car. I have had several cars where the owner's manuel was specific to never rest the driver's hand on the gear shift lever unless actually shifting gears. And I often see drivers just slightly slipping the clutch at a stop light, instead of using the brake pedal. Or drivers's who never learn to properly double clutch downshifts or heel and toe properly. My first car was my dad's '59 Anglia, so underpowered with such a huge gap between gear ratio's, being a three speed, that just to proceed up a gentle incline I had to learn to blip and double clutch all the time.

That many clutch replacements may require a good long look for heat and wear damage on the flywheel.

Long ago I drove a VW Type III Squareback, lots of modifications, for over a quarter million miles. I could put the rear of the VW up on jack stands or a ramp, unhook a few lines, loosen four bell housing bolts and then with a heave-ho, with me kneeling on the inside of the rear of the car, pull the motor back a few inches, and lower it to the ground, and I could put a new clutch disc in and re-install the motor in less than 45 minutes.

My back was in better condition then than now.

A decade ago decided to replace the fifth gear synchro on my much modified First Gen AWD Turbo Eclipse. Pretty easy, but I managed to have a small ball bearing fall deep into the innards of the transaxle. I had to think for awhile, if I left it there, would it damage the gearbox. So screwed up my courage, and started taking gears and rings, and plates out until I had a row of innards layed out in a row, and retrieved the tiny ball, finding there would have been no room for it to sit in the bottom of the gearcase, and put it all back together, and took a deep breath, and backed it out of my garage, it ran like a champ. It had an easy 275+ ponies when I got done with my mods.

Modern engines are far too complex for many of us to do much more than change oil and maybe plugs these days.

all the best...
Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

harrumph: just realized my post on clutches was meant to be on the thread about a possible purchase with a history of three clutch replacements.

all the best...

Quick Reply: 24,000 Mile Service DIY?