Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2: 993 vs. 997 as a value study but NOT another "Are we in a bubble" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 997 GT3

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Where is the market going with all these Porsches?

It appears that the prices keep rising and people keep buying.

Is now a time to buy?
Will the market go down?

I am looking at adding a few more to the collection but am I crazy to pay these prices? They have doubled in two years some of them...
All this craziness can be pinned back to what happened with all the 997 GT3 prices. Once that PDK only GT3 was announced, prices for ALL manual 911 Porsche cars moved. Now, with traction and a seemingly "good" economy there is no turning back as far as I see. The one thing to look as a marker, in my opinion, is once a manual option GT3 is announced what will happen to prices?

I'm not a collector. But if I was, I would be buying - take this with a salt shaker, it's from a financier's perspective.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsche's were due for a correction (higher) Some more than others.

Isn't it funny how now no matter what 911 you have you are a winner? (Almost) early, SC, carrera, 964, 993, blah blah blah

Most of the stuff out there being peddled as blue chips are nothing but polishes turds and used cars.

I think the market is full at the moment so I would disagree with my friend above.

We have also been starved for product.

After the jump the 993 flatlined (if not came down a little). The gt2 version of course is a different thing but that basically wasn't even a production car.

I would be buying other cars right now. Like normaly aspirated ferraris (Scuderia, CS) and nice American muscle that has been forgotten for a bit...this is only if you already have a 997 gt3 in your garage of course!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

It's not just Porsches though. Most classic cars have gone through the roof these past 7 years. I think a lot has to do with the stock market performing so well (FED, 0% rates). I don't think it's a coincidence.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM
speef
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
It's not just Porsches though. Most classic cars have gone through the roof these past 7 years. I think a lot has to do with the stock market performing so well (FED, 0% rates). I don't think it's a coincidence.
you are absolutely correct… we are undergoing an inflation in the high end of good and services associated with a certain demographic… that's because a certain portion of the population (both here and in other countries), due to their skills and position in the value chain, have been doing a lot better, and have benefited far more from low interest rates (directly and indirectly) than has the general populous…

you can draw some pretty convincing trends by looking at high end homes and apartments, high end vacations, high end yachts, and all kinds of luxury toys, including cars, including Porsches… there's no reason for ALL Porsches to go up, if it were purely collector driven demand, some would appreciate a lot, but most would depreciate… not the case… I can understand why CGTs have gone up from low 3s to mid 5s in less than 3 years… I can understand less why GT3s up at least 50% from 2 years ago… they are not a collectors car unless it's a 4.0 or a GT2RS, but an average GT3 is not that rare…
Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by speef
… I can understand less why GT3s up at least 50% from 2 years ago… they are not a collectors car unless it's a 4.0 or a GT2RS, but an average GT3 is not that rare…
all manual GT3/RS are becoming rare as there are no more new ones
Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Cream
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone else see that a 1 of 20 manual 599 GTB sold for $680k at auction? Crazy, pre auction estimates were $200-275k.

Not sure if this is AUS$ or US$ ...

The car was 'nothing special' just a clean, low mileage 599 GTB that happened to have a gated manual vs an F1. I remember trying to find a 575M manual or a 599 manual, and they were hard to find, but did not command a significant premium over the F1 model.......

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2998745&type=1
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Cream
Did anyone else see that a 1 of 20 manual 599 GTB sold for $680k at auction? Crazy, pre auction estimates were $200-275k.

Not sure if this is AUS$ or US$ ...

The car was 'nothing special' just a clean, low mileage 599 GTB that happened to have a gated manual vs an F1. I remember trying to find a 575M manual or a 599 manual, and they were hard to find, but did not command a significant premium over the F1 model.......

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2998745&type=1
WOW!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cream
Did anyone else see that a 1 of 20 manual 599 GTB sold for $680k at auction? Crazy, pre auction estimates were $200-275k. Not sure if this is AUS$ or US$ ... The car was 'nothing special' just a clean, low mileage 599 GTB that happened to have a gated manual vs an F1. I remember trying to find a 575M manual or a 599 manual, and they were hard to find, but did not command a significant premium over the F1 model....... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2998745&type=1
Utterly ridiculous.

The Ferrari guys chasing manuals that suck to begin with. I helped launch the 599. It's fat and boring. Mated with a gated shifter even worse.

Gosh I wish I could buy puts on some of these "sub markets"
Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP, I tip my Kombucha to you.

I am fond of these cars and I flog them on the track. I risk my life in them at 150 mph and later gaze upon them in stillness in a quiet garage with the setting sunlight streaming in upon them in the shadows.

While I empathize with the comments decrying using these vehicles as intended, rather than just storing them, our lives are short and these are high-quality, craftsmen-made works of functional art.

There is as much art in the aerodynamic aesthetics and the engine, suspension, interior design, and tuning of the exhaust note. These cars are a sensual Gestalt. Who doesn't have memories of the smell of leather from the 1980's Carreras or SC's? How about the prominent, vault-like "thunk" of the door shutting on the 901s, the 911s, 964s, and 993s that faded with the lighter 996 and 997 doors? Things evolve.

Someone needs to save a few prime examples of these sources of joy to many of us lucky folks for our children and grandchildren to get a whiff of the leather we used to ride in at 150 mph on the track. They should get a chance to hear the "thunk" that we all once loved.

There are enough of these cars driven beyond their limits and being pranged every month by overzealous, undertrained drivers (and very good ones, too) to warrant a few collectors diapering and Opti-coating them to balance out the Yin and Yang.

Thanks again.

Just don't let Cameron and Ferris try to roll the speedo back in your Highland Park glass garage.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I like this post.

Originally Posted by neuroguru
To the OP, I tip my Kombucha to you.

I am fond of these cars and I flog them on the track. I risk my life in them at 150 mph and later gaze upon them in stillness in a quiet garage with the setting sunlight streaming in upon them in the shadows.

While I empathize with the comments decrying using these vehicles as intended, rather than just storing them, our lives are short and these are high-quality, craftsmen-made works of functional art.

There is as much art in the aerodynamic aesthetics and the engine, suspension, interior design, and tuning of the exhaust note. These cars are a sensual Gestalt. Who doesn't have memories of the smell of leather from the 1980's Carreras or SC's? How about the prominent, vault-like "thunk" of the door shutting on the 901s, the 911s, 964s, and 993s that faded with the lighter 996 and 997 doors? Things evolve.

Someone needs to save a few prime examples of these sources of joy to many of us lucky folks for our children and grandchildren to get a whiff of the leather we used to ride in at 150 mph on the track. They should get a chance to hear the "thunk" that we all once loved.

There are enough of these cars driven beyond their limits and being pranged every month by overzealous, undertrained drivers (and very good ones, too) to warrant a few collectors diapering and Opti-coating them to balance out the Yin and Yang.

Thanks again.

Just don't let Cameron and Ferris try to roll the speedo back in your Highland Park glass garage.
And I respect this post.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM
speef
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

This is how to preserve an Enzo

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Where is the market going with all these Porsches?
Is now a time to buy?
Will the market go down?

I am looking at adding a few more to the collection but am I crazy to pay these prices?
If you are truly collecting, none of it matters.

If any of it matters, you are a speculator, not a collector. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Edit: That 599GTB result is insane, by the way. Especially considering the 1 of 20 is just "believed to be" and only represents US cars, according to the link. Over triple the car I had an opportunity to buy 1.5 years ago, but did not seriously consider because it was red.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 03-18-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If you are truly collecting, none of it matters.

If any of it matters, you are a speculator, not a collector. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Edit: That 599GTB result is insane, by the way. Especially considering the 1 of 20 is just "believed to be" and only represents US cars, according to the link. Over triple the car I had an opportunity to buy 1.5 years ago, but did not seriously consider because it was red.
Im am more of a hoarder
But really, i just dont want to overpay right now to add more 911s to my collection of drivers, so i am very wary... espeically where i am buying with the .80 cdn dollar....
Old 03-19-2015, 05:55 PM
hardy33
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual Ferrari 599 auction result is really crazy.

Maybe an insider tip is the last manual natural aspirated V8 Ferrari, the manual F430.

It´s still cheap and as far as I know maximum 2% of the F430 are manual, so much less then 500 cars...

Now Ferrari build only turbo charged automatic transmission V8´s.

I expect the manual F430 will soon come in collectors hands and make also a price jump like the manual 599, but maybe not so big...
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Hopefully the F430 does and, selfishly of course, brings the RWD MT Gallardo with it (only 40-45 sold in the US)...

Quick Reply: GT2: 993 vs. 997 as a value study but NOT another "Are we in a bubble" discussion