Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which GT3 is more desirable: Loaded or Stripper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
If I had that kinda money I order the f speciale stripped too : ). Mike
+1 speciale with a lot of cheap alcantara, no radio and I actually don't need a back up camera on a "track" car😁😁 oh , that's exactly what a 360CS looks like! Great car!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
This is funny people claiming a stripper for some track thing. Look at the ferrari speciale. It has all the nice luxuries, such as leather, stitching, cameras, etc......yet it still whoops the GT3 around the track and just in overall every other category imaginable. Please people. Strippers are nonsense. Unless you track this car 99% of the time and then you are the .01% exception.
You forget your Ferrari chat password?

No desire for an f car. If I had one it would be stripped too.

Strippers are hot, all kinds.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Jlopez55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no regrets going for a stripper. For me it accentuates the GT3 experience further by giving it a more raw driving experience.

Personally, I don't find having an interior resembling a Lexus in a sports car appealing.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:54 AM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my GT3 is my main car (motorcycle is main commuter). and I'd rather it have some options such as xenon, full leather, full carbon trim, buckets, AC is a must.

stripper is fine if the car is a weekend track warrior.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 AM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand - up to a point - the lure of a "pure driver's car" stripped. What I don't really understand, is the over-hyper rejection some people have of optioned GT3's.

Frankly, these are modern cars, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with them being equipped with accessories normal to modern cars. Specially for those of us who driver them 99,9999% of the time on roads, with regular use.

Leather interior; I think it's a must. Plastic dash simply looks plane cheap-*** on any 911 from the 996 on.
Satnav & improved sound: Used very sparingly, but when used, I like knowing they're there over the inferior std items.
Wart: I actually like the look of it. It's an integral part of the 997 dash design.
A/C: Delete on this is plane sadomasochistic.
DEM's: A modern aid on a modern car.
Xenon directional headlights: they work fantastic, light years away from halogens. Why anyone would prefer to drive with inferior lights at night, is beyond me.
Front Lift: super-useful item for countless daily-driver situations.
Seats: mine has the sport adaptive seats; nice, but on a GT3 I'd really much prefer bucket seats à la GT2. This is the only thing i'd change on my car (if proper OEM buckets wouldn't be as rare and expensive as Kriptonyte)...

None of these optionals and creature comforts take away one iota from how fantastic a GT3 feels. Specially if the car is properly sorted out in terms of exhaust, intake, engine mapping and a nice LWFW clutch.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by sixtosune
I can understand - up to a point - the lure of a "pure driver's car" stripped. What I don't really understand, is the over-hyper rejection some people have of optioned GT3's. Frankly, these are modern cars, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with them being equipped with accessories normal to modern cars. Specially for those of us who driver them 99,9999% of the time on roads, with regular use. Leather interior; I think it's a must. Plastic dash simply looks plane cheap-*** on any 911 from the 996 on. Satnav & improved sound: Used very sparingly, but when used, I like knowing they're there over the inferior std items. Wart: I actually like the look of it. It's an integral part of the 997 dash design. A/C: Delete on this is plane sadomasochistic. DEM's: A modern aid on a modern car. Xenon directional headlights: they work fantastic, light years away from halogens. Why anyone would prefer to drive with inferior lights at night, is beyond me. Front Lift: super-useful item for countless daily-driver situations. Seats: mine has the sport adaptive seats; nice, but on a GT3 I'd really much prefer bucket seats à la GT2. This is the only thing i'd change on my car (if proper OEM buckets wouldn't be as rare and expensive as Kriptonyte)... None of these optionals and creature comforts take away one iota from how fantastic a GT3 feels. Specially if the car is properly sorted out in terms of exhaust, intake, engine mapping and a nice LWFW clutch.
To me the answer has a lot more to do with the DNA of the gt3/RS . It's important for me to have the connection with the Motorsport Engine, the interior, sound and a lot of things combined helps in creating that feel!
Even if I would call myself a reasonable driver, does the weight savings make me faster? Probably not. But it adds to the experience!
Together with my wife and kids these cars give me the most joy in life. For some it's just a car that takes you from A to B! A little bit quicker😉😉
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

it's an irrational purchase - it's based on what makes you feel good about it and the tricks your mind plays. There will be lots of different camps, but there is no universal meaning. Some people like the 996/7 Gt3 for being a very close sibling of the GT3 Cup car, some like it because it's the top of the food chain, some like it because other people tell them to like it, some like it because they think it will be collectable, some like it because it's the closest thing to a race car you can get, but still drive to the track, some like it because it's rare.....

clearly will be debated, but fun to watch people expecting to change the minds of others on the internet....
Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
it's an irrational purchase - it's based on what makes you feel good about it and the tricks your mind plays. There will be lots of different camps, but there is no universal meaning. Some people like the 996/7 Gt3 for being a very close sibling of the GT3 Cup car, some like it because it's the top of the food chain, some like it because other people tell them to like it, some like it because they think it will be collectable, some like it because it's the closest thing to a race car you can get, but still drive to the track, some like it because it's rare.....

clearly will be debated, but fun to watch people expecting to change the minds of others on the internet....
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Very well said. I agree 100%

Mine's just a .1 non-RS but it gives me goose bumps just looking at it. And driving it is a near erotic experience. It's my 22nd Porsche since that first one I bought back in 1972. I loved them all (except the 996...ugh!) but none of them lit my fire the way that this one does. To me, a 997 GT3 in any iteration is the automotive equivalent of that unicorn known as the perfect woman.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Before I've opened the thread I couldn't see what's next after " Loaded " in the title. I could've sworn it was " Loaded question "...I guess it is!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

it's an irrational purchase - it's based on what makes you feel good about it and the tricks your mind plays. There will be lots of different camps, but there is no universal meaning. Some people like the 996/7 Gt3 for being a very close sibling of the GT3 Cup car, some like it because it's the top of the food chain, some like it because other people tell them to like it, some like it because they think it will be collectable, some like it because it's the closest thing to a race car you can get, but still drive to the track, some like it because it's rare..... clearly will be debated, but fun to watch people expecting to change the minds of others on the internet....
Just trying to make people buy more strippers!!! Oops. That didn't come out very well!! 😃😃
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Just trying to make people buy more strippers!!! Oops. That didn't come out very well!! 😃😃
I didn't know you could buy stripers, thought it was just a lease deal....
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I didn't know you could buy stripers, thought it was just a lease deal....
They come up for sale every now and then on RL, sometimes you can lease them.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 71 Posts

All GT3 are and will continue to be desirable and rare relative to the far greater population of 911 models.

Option content is irrelevant as there will always be a buyer for every car. Track guys want reduced content and weight whilst road warriors want extra leather, power seats and Heaven forbid an electric sunroof.

My 997.1 is used for week-end therapy on public roads, so I prefer more options to add to the car's appeal. I have owned a few Lotus over the years and can attest that minimalist cabins are far more appealing when you are in your 30's.

Now At age 50, I enjoy all $30k of my car's options and I still get a rush every time I take it out. I've been driving 911s since the mid eighties and the Metzger engined cars are the absolute best I have experienced.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The most desirable GT3 is the RS in Euro clubsport spec!

Seriously, this thread is like debating blondes vs. redheads, what about the brunettes??
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a "stripper" for a decade and 140K miles, with some thousands of miles on a track. Our highly modified Supeformance 427 Cobra replica. Driving hundreds of miles in sub freezing temps, top down, or in rain, sometimes ice and snow, or temps over a hundred stuck in traffic, hood partly open to reduce Holly percolation. Wore the kind of clothing a motorcycle driver dons. two inches of water in the pedal box, (drilled holes eventually down there), water filled gages, then the daily maintenance of car and engine, the occasional carb fire, and on and on. Took 15 minutes to put the top up, so why bother. The Cobra whispered to me every time i flicked up the aircraft starter switch "take me for granted and I will kill you." We did have one epic trip, 1100 miles from competing at Heartland Park, Topeka, home to SC, top down the whole way, never turned off the motor. Always carried a spare starter and alternator on any trip, having had to put those on in Interstate rest stops occasionally.

So when I just got too old to keep it up, my son convinced me to, after he got his now sold 996, to get a car more comfortable for a guy in his mid '60's. I was amazed at how comfortable it was to drive in rain and cold, or searing heat. Then a few months ago, when we moved into our '07 GT3 from my 997S, we discovered the best of both worlds, incredible performance, with reasonable comfort when the latter was desired. We just drove about 900 miles to and from the Rolex, all the performance we could have wished for, and when the temps dropped and we ran into rain, we just closed up the roof and ran the windows up, and turned on some heat.

A true "stripper" can be a brutal test of a man's tolerance is used as a daily driver. Our GT3 bridges the gap between a GT car and a visceral driving experience.

All the best....

Quick Reply: Which GT3 is more desirable: Loaded or Stripper?