997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS Leak Again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015 | 04:58 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

RAudi driver, this looks like the problem I described above. Oil leaks up top and gets blown towards the back of the engine where is comes down in between the back side of the block and the coolant housing. That's why your coolant pipe is wet with oil.

I bet this only happens after you drive it, not after a prolonged period of not driving the car.
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:11 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

^^That could very well be the case. I've been trying to get it out a little more often, even with my busy schedule and have been blasting Angelus Crest on a regular basis. It's in my backyard so it's an easy place to let the car circulate fluids and stretch it's legs.

I'll look into it this evening and see what's going on.

Wondering where I can procure one of those UV lights.
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Pulled the car out of the garage and a saw a spot of oil on the floor. Not cool, but it lasted almost 4.5 years without a leak. The last RMS replacement was in 2010 and it looks like it needs to be done again, or not?

Sharkwerks says no as it won't leak while driving, only when parked. It looks like it's been leaking for a few weeks as, I try to get the car out a few times a month to circulate fluids through the crest and there is more than one drop spot. I just got back from vacation and it's been sitting for a wee bit.

Opinions on those with a leaking RMS and those who have fixed theirs.

1. Live the small leak?

2. Fix the small leak?

Wondering how much this will cost and if the motor comes out for this fix. If so, What else should be done? Coolant pipes? etc....

TIA
my dealer says it's normal to leak (at least a little). others here have concurred
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

It can't be normal to leak! But I wonder if there's too much vibration in the crank that it messes up new seals...
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
It can't be normal to leak! But I wonder if there's too much vibration in the crank that it messes up new seals...
well, like I said, that's what the svc garage said....so, believe them, or you?
Rector Porsche - Roger Gray
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Wondering where I can procure one of those UV lights.
You can find the kits at any parts store,like Autozone and such... The problem is they are not meant to be used to look at oil just like that : you need to pour a little of the UV dye in your oil that comes in the kit. Clean the area real well with brake clean and then drive the car for a good few miles. Then use the UV glasses and UV light and you'll see the dye coming out where it's leaking.
Old 01-05-2015 | 07:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
well, like I said, that's what the svc garage said....so, believe them, or you? Rector Porsche - Roger Gray
Sorry,didn't mean to be argumentative...you can definitely believe them over me!

Old 01-05-2015 | 10:06 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

You can find the kits at any parts store,like Autozone and such... The problem is they are not meant to be used to look at oil just like that : you need to pour a little of the UV dye in your oil that comes in the kit. Clean the area real well with brake clean and then drive the car for a good few miles. Then use the UV glasses and UV light and you'll see the dye coming out where it's leaking.
Plenty of options.
A good LED UV torch (better than the ones in those kits) doesn't need dye. The dye helps, but oil fluoresces without it. It's all about making it easier to see the leak, you still have to look hard whichever way you go!
Google UV LED torch 385nm.
Cheers, Mike
Old 01-06-2015 | 10:05 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

In my case, the flange sealer (Permatex like silicone) was visibly detached from the lower mating surface for about 30-50%. Also the 4 screws that hold the oil filter housing / manifold to the block were only finger tight before removing. Definite recipe for oil seepage.

Should have taken pics.. Maybe next time.

Last edited by flyingpenguin; 01-06-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2015 | 12:16 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I'm super busy today but will keep everyone posted on the culprit.
Old 01-06-2015 | 12:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

here is my usual 6 months of storage stain...
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2015 | 01:26 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
here is my usual 6 months of storage stain...

Ahaaaaa. Got to love the wet spot....
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Based on where you saw the oil it's much more likely to be Front main not rear main. Is the block really dirty around and behind the front pulley? It'll drip down the front and off of the center seam of the engine as well as off the coolant pipes when the front main is leaking.

Rear main usually drips further forward toward that mount in the center of the car

Front main is actually pretty easy to do.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ement-diy.html
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that link. I'm gonna try to peel myself away from this desk in a bit and head out to the garage to take a look.
Old 01-06-2015 | 06:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Sorry,didn't mean to be argumentative...you can definitely believe them over me!

no worries....feel a little obligated to think they should know what their talking about.

I trust John (mooty) a lot too - he said not to worry, unless of course there's a significant leak.

these things weep, is my understanding. worse case, learn the hard way

Quick Reply: RMS Leak Again.